Duplicolor Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Duplicolor Thread

Post by GilmourD » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am

Tweedledee wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:03 am
Watch out, it can be addictive once you start!

I’ve handled things a bunch of different ways, but my basic approach is:
Grain filler - if necessary depending on the type of wood
Sealer - less than one can; I usually use spray shellac
Primer - one can; the Duplicolor one is good to use with Duplicolor paints
Color coats - one can; sometimes a little more if you’re painting the headstock to match
Clear coats - I always use nitro clear; Watco is good; at least two full cans but sometimes three

At first I spent a lot of time reading on the ReRanch forum. Since then it’s been experimentation to figure out what works.
I've got my Tonebomb Jazzmaster body sanded 220 and I'm going to hit it with 320. I still haven't actually purchased sanding sealer, yet. Would you have any recommendations for what would be best under Duplicolor?

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:19 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am
Tweedledee wrote:

Color coats - one can; sometimes a little more if you’re painting the headstock to match
Clear coats - I always use nitro clear; Watco is good; at least two full cans but sometimes three

At first I spent a lot of time reading on the ReRanch forum. Since then it’s been experimentation to figure out what works.
I've got my Tonebomb Jazzmaster body sanded 220 and I'm going to hit it with 320. I still haven't actually purchased sanding sealer, yet. Would you have any recommendations for what would be best under Duplicolor?
I've used regular shellac as a sanding sealer with good results, but I have heard some people say they've had problems with adhesion. I never know what to make of that given my own lack of issues, but take that for what it's worth. I've also just shot the Duplicolor primer right over the raw wood without any issues as long as it was prepped correctly.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:26 pm

Does the nitro clear coat check?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm

Tweedledee wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:19 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:59 am
Tweedledee wrote:

I've used regular shellac as a sanding sealer with good results, but I have heard some people say they've had problems with adhesion. I never know what to make of that given my own lack of issues, but take that for what it's worth. I've also just shot the Duplicolor primer right over the raw wood without any issues as long as it was prepped correctly.
There's so many different ways people have to do this part. 🤪 I was watching the Stew Mac rattle can painting video and before sanding sealer they pore filled alder with epoxy. I feel like that's the first time I've seen anybody mention filling pores on alder.

I was looking at a can of Minwax sanding sealer at Lowe's but not sure of it's compatibility with acrylic and nitrocellulose lacquer, so that's why I haven't made a purchase, yet.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:32 am

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm
There's so many different ways people have to do this part. 🤪 I was watching the Stew Mac rattle can painting video and before sanding sealer they pore filled alder with epoxy. I feel like that's the first time I've seen anybody mention filling pores on alder.
I've watched that as well, and if I didn't mishear I believe they did it mostly just for the demonstration, not out of real necessity.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:47 am

bodhi wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:32 am
GilmourD wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:48 pm
I've watched that as well, and if I didn't mishear I believe they did it mostly just for the demonstration, not out of real necessity.
I felt like he was hammering the point home that alder is an open poor wood just not as open as ash or mahogany, but not closed like basswood. 🤷‍♂️

Unless somebody tells me I'm a complete buffoon, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna order some Deft sanding sealer for the body... ahem... bodies (darn impulsive need to buy everything I see...) I'm working on.

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:19 pm

since we're on the topic does anyone have a recommendation for a pore filler? I have an ash jazz bass body I was gonna send off somewhere but I've kinda gotten interested in finishing it myself. Feels like trying to find anything online ends up with 20 different people telling you 20 different things about this stuff.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:37 pm

efiug wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:19 pm
since we're on the topic does anyone have a recommendation for a pore filler? I have an ash jazz bass body I was gonna send off somewhere but I've kinda gotten interested in finishing it myself. Feels like trying to find anything online ends up with 20 different people telling you 20 different things about this stuff.
I feel like this is one of those things that somebody with not only the time and inclination to do it but also the talent (like Tweedledee, ThePearDream, or many others that I'm surely forgetting) should put together a guide for. Like "How to paint your guitar with Duplicolor and not make it a chemical-spitting dumpster fire!" with lists of suggested materials and techniques.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:48 am

Sooooo, here's a question.

I'm painting a Mustang with competition stripes, LPB with Sonic Blue stripes. Duplicolor doesn't make that Sonic Blue, do they? What could I use that would let me paint Duplicolor Bahama Blue over it without compatibility issues?

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:11 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:37 pm
efiug wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:19 pm
I feel like this is one of those things that somebody with not only the time and inclination to do it but also the talent (like Tweedledee, ThePearDream, or many others that I'm surely forgetting) should put together a guide for. Like "How to paint your guitar with Duplicolor and not make it a chemical-spitting dumpster fire!" with lists of suggested materials and techniques.
I really try to not to give finish advice on here. I currently live in a very dry place and my process isn't typical and I still run into issues. Example: I use Deft because the Ace hardware less than a mile from me stocks it. Everybody on the internet says not to use Deft Lacquer because it takes too long to cure. Well it cures in a week or two for me. So, I also use Deft sanding sealer, which works fine for Alder or Poplar, under Duplicolor for me. I put at least a full can of sealer on, and most of it gets sanded off. Spray a coat or two more than you think you need, especially on the end grain, it dries fast and this is a vital step to get the best possible surface.

Remember, you can always test spray on some scrap wood to try out some combos of paint/clear coat, before doing it on a body.
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:08 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:11 am
I really try to not to give finish advice on here. I currently live in a very dry place and my process isn't typical and I still run into issues. Example: I use Deft because the Ace hardware less than a mile from me stocks it. Everybody on the internet says not to use Deft Lacquer because it takes too long to cure. Well it cures in a week or two for me. So, I also use Deft sanding sealer, which works fine for Alder or Poplar, under Duplicolor for me. I put at least a full can of sealer on, and most of it gets sanded off. Spray a coat or two more than you think you need, especially on the end grain, it dries fast and this is a vital step to get the best possible surface.

Remember, you can always test spray on some scrap wood to try out some combos of paint/clear coat, before doing it on a body.
Thanks!

Oddly, I can't find Deft sanding sealer in spray cans by me and I have an Ace literally around the block from me. He said the closest store that has it is an hour away and he couldn't order me just a couple cans because they only ship in boxes of six but it's a product they don't really sell much.

I could get it on Amazon... For almost double the price. 😢

I'll figure something out. Just been busy the past week and haven't sat down at my computer to research much.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:05 am

Wow, I have recently discovered this thread and it has me inspired. I have a can of bahama blue Dupli-Color from another project and I am debating refinishing a Bullet Mustang HH to faux LPB.

Has any one tried refinishing with Duplicolor over existing poly? (scuffed up of course) Or should I still use a primer? Thanks for any help.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:34 am

Adhesion is more likely with a primer, but a transparent 'plastic primer' is all you need here. Not the sort of thing you put over bare timber (eg undercoat), that's unnecessary.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:12 pm

Futuron wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:34 am
Adhesion is more likely with a primer, but a transparent 'plastic primer' is all you need here. Not the sort of thing you put over bare timber (eg undercoat), that's unnecessary.
That sounds about right, I can pick that up. Thanks for the help. Also have a can of 2k I need to use up so I think I will be painting the mustang after all.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:32 am

gerardguey wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:12 pm
Futuron wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:34 am
That sounds about right, I can pick that up. Thanks for the help. Also have a can of 2k I need to use up so I think I will be painting the mustang after all.
Please post the results!