Installing Brass Plates

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ryandennis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Installing Brass Plates

Post by ryandennis » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:33 pm

Hey all, I'm working on installing my brass plates with the glazier points and am wondering what locations were used in the 60s for the middle plate the pickups go over? Everything I find leads me to believe that plate didn't have any points at all but I was wanting to keep this build as original as possible.

Another question on the wiring, should I use traditional black cloth or would I gain anything from linking the plates together/to the electronics using gibson style pushback shielded wire? I do have both.

Thanks!
https://linktr.ee/newheroesband

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Installing Brass Plates

Post by timtam » Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:34 am

Jag or JM ? Vintage reissue jags and JMs do not appear to have any glazier points on the pickup plates - see below.

And you only want single conductor wire to do the ground links to/between the plates. Use your cloth-covered wire.

Shielded wiring to link the actual hot signals between electronics (eg long runs to/from the switches) would likely provide some noise reduction. But I wouldn't put Gibson's uninsulated braided shield wire in any guitar, particularly not one with multiple exposed hot signals (eg at switch/pot lugs) for the exposed grounded braid to short out. ;)

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

ryandennis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Installing Brass Plates

Post by ryandennis » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:22 am

timtam wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:34 am
Jag or JM ? Vintage reissue jags and JMs do not appear to have any glazier points on the pickup plates - see below.

And you only want single conductor wire to do the ground links to/between the plates. Use your cloth-covered wire.

Shielded wiring to link the actual hot signals between electronics (eg long runs to/from the switches) would likely provide some noise reduction. But I wouldn't put Gibson's uninsulated braided shield wire in any guitar, particularly not one with multiple exposed hot signals (eg at switch/pot lugs) for the exposed grounded braid to short out. ;)

Thank you so much, I never thought about that shorting out but that makes perfect sense. It is for a Jag and that diagram is perfect!
https://linktr.ee/newheroesband