Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
tryggwie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:27 am

Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by tryggwie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:55 am

First time poster here!
As the title suggests, I'm trying to get as close to a JM pickup sound as possible in a HB form factor. I'm aware of the various "HB sized p-90" options out there, they sound nothing like a JM pickup to me.

And yes,
…I know the physical dimentions makes it impossible to get all the way there.
…I know there are more things than the pickups that makes the jazzmaster sound unique.
…No, won't do any routing. The guitar has no pickguard and I won't tank it's resale value by going at it with a router.

I have no problem changing pots and/or caps if needed and I don't care about how the pickup gets there, as long as it does'nt need a battery.

I feel like there really should be an easy answer to this..?

Thanks

User avatar
Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Stroßbùrri
Contact:

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by Flurko » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:35 am

I can't find it at the moment, but I've seen something exactly like this posted on this forum a while back. I'll see if I can remember it, otherwise I'm sure someone else will post it.
It was from a small builder.

User avatar
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1273
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:25 pm

I know there’s slug magnet hb sized p90’s out there. Those should get you pretty close. Fralin sells them.

Most other HB sized Fender style pickups are based around Strats.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

User avatar
Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:56 pm
Location: Wear gloves - I'm in the Rockies

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by Sonichris » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:49 pm

Sunday Handwound made me a really great HB sized Jazzmaster set of Fat52's ( I think that's the model.
Sunday Handwound

Dylan from Dylan Pickups and Dylan Talks Tone Youtube channel makes the Enduro. I havent tried them, but I have set on the way I'm really looking forward to. Dylan is a friend and a great winder. Tell him I sent you.
Dylan Talks Tone Enduro

Neither of these are an "off the shelf always in stock" deal, but both have pretty quick turn around.

User avatar
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am
Location: Linz, Austria

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:23 pm

I have a hybrid (Jazzmaster/Strat-ish) Pickup from Q in the neck position of my Jaguar and love it very much. A bit hard to tell how close it is (due to different scale lenght and all).

Q Pickups

User avatar
John
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by John » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 pm

The Black Mass Between Worlds is an option.

User avatar
tryggwie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:27 am

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by tryggwie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:15 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:23 pm
I have a hybrid (Jazzmaster/Strat-ish) Pickup from Q in the neck position of my Jaguar and love it very much. A bit hard to tell how close it is (due to different scale lenght and all).

Q Pickups
That's really interesting. I'm in Europe as well so definitley an option. Thanks!

User avatar
tryggwie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:27 am

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by tryggwie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:18 am

Sonichris wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:49 pm
Sunday Handwound made me a really great HB sized Jazzmaster set of Fat52's ( I think that's the model.
Sunday Handwound

Dylan from Dylan Pickups and Dylan Talks Tone Youtube channel makes the Enduro. I havent tried them, but I have set on the way I'm really looking forward to. Dylan is a friend and a great winder. Tell him I sent you.
Dylan Talks Tone Enduro

Neither of these are an "off the shelf always in stock" deal, but both have pretty quick turn around.
Yeah I'm a keen follower of Dylan as well and the Enduro is a candidate for sure. Do you know of any good demos?

User avatar
tryggwie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:27 am

Re: Most (non custum order) jazamaster sounding pickup in a HB form factor

Post by tryggwie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:19 am

John wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:16 pm
The Black Mass Between Worlds is an option.
Thanks! Will look in to it.

Post Reply