Would it be worthwile to rewind a MIJ Jaguar PU?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Would it be worthwile to rewind a MIJ Jaguar PU?

Post by ohm-men » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:11 am

Hi All,

I posted this question a while ago in the "tech department", but got no response, so I'll give it another try :)
I  killed, by accident, a MIJ Jaguar PU. Not bad considereing it's a MIJ Jag pup, right?
But, I took it apart and reversed the magnets thus changing it's polarity. Now I wonder, since this PU has Alnico magnets, would it be worth to have it rewound?
If so, I could have a RW/RP Jag pu when compared to the other non dead MIJ Jag pu.
I asume Alnico is Alnico or is this just incorrect? I mean if I can find someone who can wind it so Fender specs, could it become a better pu, or is there more then just the winding to a good sounding pu. I rewind would be cheaper then getting a new AVRI pu. (especially on this side of the pond where even getting a AVRI pu is vurtually imposible...)
I think I can get PU's rewound locally for about € 20 a piece to specs. (scatterwound with the correct wire) Or I can give it a try myself since I got a copy somewhere of the Lollar book.

If this would be worthwile, then perhaps it would be worth the hassle to strip some MIJ Jazzmaster pu's as well. and making flatter wider bobbins. (If indeed the overall quality of the MIJ Alnico is simelar to that used by Fender US and other Pu manufacturers)
Just a (naive) idea?

Thanks.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Would it be worthwile to rewind a MIJ Jaguar PU?

Post by Haddock » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 am

ohm-men wrote: If this would be worthwile, then perhaps it would be worth the hassle to strip some MIJ Jazzmaster pu's as well. and making flatter wider bobbins.
Awesome idea, if anyone can explain me how to do this I'm ready to try it.  :)
“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:47 am

One problem is that the alnico rods in Japanese pickups are longer than those in AVRIs, so you'd have to cut those down as well as move the plates closer together. That would probably demagnetize the rods, so you'd have to re-magnetize them afterwards. The Seymour Duncan website has the full dimension specs, so you can check from there what you'd need to do. No reason why it can't be done, and I doubt there's a quality difference between the rods.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/d ... jm-1.shtml

I'd say go for it!

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks. Yeay, the longer rods crossed my mind as well, but I was thinking I could just move the plates closer together (just moving the bottom plate up,leaving the top plate where it is). The rods could be sticking out of the bottom and would rest on the foam. It would only be a few mm. so nothing to serious I guess. I also think that the bit longer rods won't make that much difference? I then would nove have to grind or saw the rods, leaving them intact.
I have some SD Ant II JM pu's I can use as a guide.
And it's also possible replacing the japanese wires with some cloth ones.
If I go for it, I'd have the already reverse magnet rods Jag pu rewinded. I made a few €'s on selling some unused gear, so I might give it a try. There seams to be a good PU maker in my neighborhood, I might contact him, since I have these pu's sitting unused in a box. Would be nice to actually make something of them.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"