The cost of stripping a poly finish

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jgs61
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The cost of stripping a poly finish

Post by jgs61 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 pm

^ Looks good!

I've decided not to do it myself. I'd like to give it a try, but a '66 JM is not the guitar I want to start my refinnishing skills on. I'll wait until I find some cheap strat to experiment with. After the new year, I'll just fork over the cash and let a pro do it. I want it done right since this guitar is kind of special to me... I've had it the longest. I think I might also get some new pups and a mint green guard. I'll keep the tort around though, it's pretty nice.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:08 am

Markocaster wrote: Takes an hour with a heat gun and a scraper, sure beats the heck out of trying to sand that crap off :)
i think this depends on the finish. it certainly didn't take me an hour to remove the finish from my CIJ jazzmaster. the color coat came right off, but then there was the transparent sealer coat... it was impossible to remove without scorching the wood, even when the wood underneath was completly black, the finish was still extremely hard to scrape off. so i put the heat gun down before i made some irrepairable damage and started sanding. all in all i'd say it took me about 10 hours (breaks not included) to get all of the finish off.

finboy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by finboy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:20 pm

it looks like maui blue, i'd leave it...