Original (and not so original) design template thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hallmark Swept Wing Junior

Post by Odjuret » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:24 pm

roscbarn wrote:Here's my take on the Hallmark Swept Wing, "juniorized":

PDF (300 dpi): http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3633/h ... ptwing.pdf
Coolest guitar design ever! Great work, thanks a lot! :?
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Original (and not so original) design template thread

Post by Odjuret » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

Hi all,

Inspired by Perry´s great RD Artist project I´m considering a build of my own. Unfortunately my skills when it comes to plan making in Illustrator and such programs is, to say the least, limited.
Therefore my question - is there anyone among OSG:s skilled members that would like to help me out with this one? Please let me know if so.
Thanks! :)
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

hhhehehe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hhhehehe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 am

Here's an original I am working on:

Vector blueprint – although with a tele neck instead of a strat neck – courtesy of Deed_Poll:
Odjuret wrote:is there anyone among OSG:s skilled members that would like to help me out with this one? Please let me know if so.
Thanks!
Ask Deed_Poll.
• There are two kinds of people in this world; those who say disco is dead, and those who got ~mad moves~ •

Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Odjuret » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:11 am

hhhehehe wrote:Here's an original I am working on:

Vector blueprint – although with a tele neck instead of a strat neck – courtesy of Deed_Poll:
Odjuret wrote:is there anyone among OSG:s skilled members that would like to help me out with this one? Please let me know if so.
Thanks!
Ask Deed_Poll.
Thanks a lot, I´ll send him a PM. :)
Sweet build BTW, really like the shape of the pickguard!
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

stilettoace
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stilettoace » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:27 am

This is an AWESOME thread! More, more!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:13 am

Odjuret,

Yes I'd be pleased to help! I have quite a bit going on with other members and personal projects at the moment, but send me the info any time and I'll get around to it.

I'll do a full size blueprint for this one to contribute to this thread sooner or later:

Dan
Creator of the Tuffset Bridge - Locked & Ready to Rock!
www.tuffsetbridge.com ◈ @tuffsetbridge

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:50 pm

Whoa! Zombie thread

Long time no see, all you people, but in the meantime a lot of stuff happened in my life and I lurked in the forum meanwhile (but last december I bought a router to rejoin you folks).

I already answered Odjuret and I will continue this thread explaining my course of action to do the templates.

I use 2 softwares: Inkscape to do the "artistic" thing (shape of the body, etc) and QCAD to do the "precise" stuff ("neck junction, bridge placement, etc.)

Inkscape is a fairly simple (and free) vector software and QCAD is a fairly simple (free and limited, but would suffice) drawing software.

Whwn I did these templates, I searched for a suitable frontal picture of the guitar, imported to Inkscape and resized using as reference the guitar scale, then, I traced the outline of the body using a polyline feature.

After this, I exported the drawing as dxf into QCAD to do the "precise" stuff.

Note that this process isn't extremelly accurate but the "ballpark estimate" of the body is there (at least for a few mm). Would be the best course of action someone trace the body in a graphic paper, hence the photograph of the guitar could lead to a (minor) distortion due to differences in perspective (if, of course, a really close copy is desired).

Then, Odjuret, if the "ballpark estimate" of a body suffice, I can do a tracing for you, then what do you wanna do? Bolt-on or glued in? 24.75 or 25.5 in? If bolt-on, Strat or Telecaster heel? What kind of pickups, etc.

Let's do this. Twisted perversions of classics (or underdog models) is an idea that amuses me.

Allright in order too: A tracing of my SGV-300.

See ya.

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Posting a design I already made this time

Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Odjuret » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:51 am

Thanks to both roscbarn and Deed_Poll for taking your time to answer! :)

My idea about the RD project is that is should be rather close to the original design. And pretty cheap as well. This will be my first really serious attempt so I don´t want to spend too much. I already have parts from a SG guitar kit that never was finished and I plan to buy a used Epiphone Les Paul Special bolt on neck. Or a new from GFS.
- ELPS 24.75" bolt on neck.
- Humbuckers with nickel covers. Black or cream pup rings.
- Birch body. Because is it what I can get for free. Please tell me if that wood is too stupid. :P
Tobacco burst paint, black five layer or white pickguard.
- TOM bridge/Stop tailpiece and tuners from SG kit.
- Top Hat knobs. Pup selector from SG kit.
+ Everything else I have forgotten.

Rather close to the original, but I´d really like to see some of your twisted ideas in it!

roscbarn and Deed_Poll - big fan of your original designs and very impressed with your plan making skills! Would really like to see those designs you´ve posted here come to life. :)

Thanks a lot!
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:52 am

Deed_Poll wrote:Odjuret,

Yes I'd be pleased to help! I have quite a bit going on with other members and personal projects at the moment, but send me the info any time and I'll get around to it.

I'll do a full size blueprint for this one to contribute to this thread sooner or later:

Dan
This one is on the list for this summer, I've got the filtertrons, an unfinished neck (needs finished shaping, frets & nut) and some wood for the body.

I guess I'm old school but it's not necessary to to use a computer to design a unique guitar. I just get a drawing from this site: https://sites.google.com/site/guitarpla ... fender-ish save it to a thumb drive and have it printed full size at the local office supply place then modify the perimeter to suit my idea. The critical things like neck pocket, pickup routes and bridge placement are set correctly so there will be no issues with functionality. Once I get the design to where I like it I cut it out and transfer it to 1/4" mdf which is easy to sand to the line and get smooth then use that to make a 3/4" mdf working template. I have found it pays to put the design un my computer desk top and look at it for a couple days then spend a couple days with the 1/4" template making small modifications before doing the the 3/4" template. I have found what looks good on paper doesn't always translate to wood as well and even 1/8" modification of a line can make a big difference in the appearance of the finished body.

I have a bunch of templates for pickups including strat/tele/jm/p90/HB/filtertron and control cavities so I can do just about any layout I want.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:19 pm

Alright, an attempt to do a RD template adapted for a 24.75'' bolt-on neck.

.png file:
https://mega.co.nz/#!DEl2ySaB!J-h-PgtCG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... kfmHMhjqU4

.dxf file:
https://mega.co.nz/#!yUsUBD5D!QN2Q9XlB2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... oFnDkCcqQo

As I don't have the measures of the heel (nut to heel end mainly) I based this one in a Toronado template already linked from kdanie (loved the Voyager version you did), so maybe the best course of action is after a mockup with the neck is made, adjust the bridge on the top and mark the correct location of the pilot holes for the bridge.

Odjuret, if you buy the 24.75'' neck, can you provide a series of measurements? Thanks.
Last edited by roscbarn on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Odjuret » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 am

roscbarn, nice job! And so fast!
I ordered this from GFS today http://www.guitarfetish.com/LP-Style-22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _5488.html because I couldn´t find just a used neck, only complete guitars. I´ve mailed GFS and asked about heel and nut to heel end measurements.
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Odjuret » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:59 am

http://www.guitarfetish.com/LP-Style-22 ... _5488.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

Odjuret
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Odjuret » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:28 pm

Got a quick answer from GFS regarding the neck:
42 mm nut, 56 mm heel (some are 57 mm), 14" radius. Hope that helps. :)
Yamaha SG-3 #1284
Yamaha SG-3 #1537

roscbarn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by roscbarn » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Telecaster-like heel (straight ). This changes things a little bit, but the most important measure is the nut to heel.

I picked up the measures in this drawing:

http://terrydownsmusic.com/Archive/Tele ... g_revE.pdf

Things that will not change are:

Scale: 628.65mm (24.75'')
Additional regarding intonation (according to Stewmac fret calculator): 1.541mm
Additional in the bass side (1.5 to 3mm according to Stewmac): I put 2mm

In the drawing below, to illustrate, I assumed that the heel would be in the location of a non-existent 23rd fret, but of course, this is an wild guess. Depending of the location of the heel, the bridge will be in a different place.

Better wait the neck to arrive to verify the measures. Then I can update the template. But you can work in the outline of the body in the meantime. When the neck arrives please get me posted (matter of fact, I'm really interested in this neck for a project).

See ya.