Tuffset Bridge

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tuffset Bridge

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:56 pm

Excellent advice, everyone!

My wife just reminded me I still have this one:

It's the very first Juggernaut (full-scale Jag) body I ever made, and it has a gorgeous OTM/LPB blend Rexter finish on it!

I routed it to be compatible with several Jag / JM pickup combinations. The only difference between it and the current Juggernaut design is that I've since changed the bass-side cutaway to be a bit sharper like a Jaguar, whereas I believe this is a true JM outline.

I'm tempted to do it JM / Jag / JM, and go without the strangle switch. So it will basically be a JM with Jag plates and an extra middle pickup option.

I'd need to find a decent neck for it - I have a Squier JM neck laying around, but it's not the best. But I think I have all the other bits and pieces I would need (pickups, electronics, an AVRI vibrato, official thimbles, my reference plates) and I could make a parchment pickguard to match.

Does this sound like a good plan to you all? Right now it "feels" like a meaningful solution!
Creator of the Tuffset Bridge - Locked & Ready to Rock!
www.tuffsetbridge.com ◈ @tuffsetbridge

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:04 pm

Has anybody used these Guitar Anatomy necks before? Spec looks very decent for the price!

https://guitaranatomy.com/product/jazzm ... rl-inlays/

Edit: this one looks familiar! I guess I'll reach out to this customer to ask how the GA neck is - this was the first Marauder kit we made with routes for a Pickup Les Lee system!

Edit 2: RUNNER UP!?!?
Last edited by Deed_Poll on Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Downsman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Downsman » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:10 pm

I'd consider bringing a Vintera 60s Jag or JM, or both. They regularly turn up used for around £600-650. Vintage spec, cool matching headstocks, decent enough pickups (very similar to the AV65 ones), and the kind of guitar I'm guessing a lot of your potential customers will have, and be thinking of bridge options. And then when show's over you can sell them again for what you paid.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:02 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:04 pm
Has anybody used these Guitar Anatomy necks before? Spec looks very decent for the price!

Edit: this one looks familiar! I guess I'll reach out to this customer to ask how the GA neck is - this was the first Marauder kit we made with routes for a Pickup Les Lee system!

That looks like the same Chinese manufacturer as the awesome B&B Jaguar necks I got on ebay.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:10 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:56 pm

I'd need to find a decent neck for it…
I agree - the neck in this photo looks nearly unplayable.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:02 am

Downsman wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:10 pm
I'd consider bringing a Vintera 60s Jag or JM, or both. They regularly turn up used for around £600-650. Vintage spec, cool matching headstocks, decent enough pickups (very similar to the AV65 ones), and the kind of guitar I'm guessing a lot of your potential customers will have, and be thinking of bridge options. And then when show's over you can sell them again for what you paid.
This is what I was thinking too.

JVG wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:10 pm
Deed_Poll wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:56 pm

I'd need to find a decent neck for it…
I agree - the neck in this photo looks nearly unplayable.
Radius is too low for me

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:18 am

Haha it's too low even for the Tuffset! I think I calculated the minimum radius as 5-3/8" ;)

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:33 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:02 pm
Deed_Poll wrote:

That looks like the same Chinese manufacturer as the awesome B&B Jaguar necks I got on ebay.
My bet is that these are the same necks like the one I got from ADP (France)… it feels great!

And I like the Juggernaut JM-Jag-JM idea!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:28 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:33 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:02 pm
Deed_Poll wrote:

My bet is that these are the same necks like the one I got from ADP (France)… it feels great!

And I like the Juggernaut JM-Jag-JM idea!
This is the second one I bought. The listing for the first one is too old for it to show up anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374919398097

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:08 pm

I'm glad you're going that route Dan! I didn't respond fast enough, but my thought was that you should take a guitar that you built!! That full-scale Jag/JM is incredible :w00t: I think a D&B neck would be perfect for it if you can find one...
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:08 am

I'm just seeing this thread months late. I really like the changes you've made Dan. Lots of things I was skeptical of in the first design have been totally resolved, and the adjustable radius is really huge IMO. Congrats on this.

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:54 pm

This seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. Nice work!

I was going to buy a new bridge today, but I think I'll hold off for a couple of months.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:09 am

Cheers guys!

J, yeah you *know* I'm always thirsty for dots and binding! I think these blocks really look great with rocker switches, but for the classic Offset formula I'm D&B all day long. But it seems like Guitar Anatomy only make this neck with blocks.

I'm glad you guys like the evolution of the design! It's been a funny development cycle - very long (too long, really) but it really highlights the differences between the Tuffset and other bridges and similar products.

Whereas many other products can be developed to an extent through trial and error, the specificity of all the components in the Tuffset design require such orchestration that everything has to be perfect before you turn the machines on.

So we've tried really hard to make sure it's "there", the last thing we want is to produce a thousand bridges and then say "a tiny change here would make it much better"!

A great example of this is the captive locking retainers. Up until this year, if you dialed in too much slack (four turns more than maximum) it was possible for the retainer to fall out of the bottom of the chassis. Just by introducing another tiny channel and reshaping the slots in the chassis, that is now impossible unless the retainer as at the extreme end of intonation range.

It's a change that really added nothing to the cost of the components, but could prevent some really frustrating moments both for us and for our customers - these pieces are so small and easy to lose otherwise!

So it's been top-loaded with all the features we could really think of - save for a couple like compatibility with a mute or bridge cover.

The locking system made possible a menu of features that no other bridge can match, so it would have been foolish not to maximise this potential - however, doing so has undeniably set back the release date further than it would otherwise have been.

The up-side to all this is, since all the parts are bespoke and require big machines to manufacture them, we've been forced to do a full "design for manufacture" job. A better way of putting this perhaps, is that there are no shortcuts to the *manufacturing design* that increase the cost of manufacture *per bridge*. It's highly automated, because it has to be.

As an upshot, we can make them pretty much as fast as we can sell them. We shouldn't ever (fingers crossed) have a long waiting list as long as we can maintain liquidity of the components - and I've designed every component of a particular type to be absolutely identical to each other. So all the saddle screws are exactly the same, whether they are for locking or height adjustment. The four inner saddles and wedges are all identical, as are the end saddles. The string slots are all the same depth - a handy consequence of the individual height adjustment. The bridge can work in either orientation, left handed or right handed and according to taste (adjustment screws facing neck or tailpiece).

Once we're doing brass saddle sets, it will also be easy to convert a bass side to a treble side! So you could have a set of brass and a set of steel, and set up both bridges from that to have steel in the bass and brass on the treble side, again in any orientation you like.

Thanks again to you all for your input and enthusiasm! Tuffsets are coming real soon...

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:03 am

Deed_Poll wrote:

Yep, got one on the Sherwood Jazzmaster that I got from HNB and love it. No idea if they’re all like this, but the profile is almost spot on like my JMJM (which I think is from like 2014 or so? Favorite neck ever though so it’s a bonus. Also has jumbo frets. The only thing I didn’t like is that that first inlay was a little short on the top side but honestly it’s the nicest thing for the money I ever even came close to. Right before I got it I was about to settle for one of those Squier Coronado necks, which have correct blocks somehow, but went with this instead.

TL;DR - I love mine aside from a small aesthetic thing

The thing

michel v
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by michel v » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:16 am

How did I miss this thread???

I just signed up for the mailing list, I can't wait to buy one and install it in one of my Guitarform bodies :w00t: