The Rank's bitten off more than he can chew thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Which one to start with?

Bass V
29%
Toronado
43%
Mustang
29%

Total votes: 7

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Rank's bitten off more than he can chew thread

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:07 am

rank wrote:I've been juggling some things around & I may go with a Toronado XII. Opinions?

[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Hell yes! It's not my personal favorite design, BUT, this site needs way more Toronado action and that thing is cool.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I say a Toronado XII is a great idea. Get on it!! They are actually a pretty comfortable body shape.

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:05 am

Dude, please paint that XII firemist silver!!!
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:20 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:Dude, please paint that XII firemist silver!!!
I just may...I've been trying to think of colors for the XII & Mustang.
We are merely moving shadows.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Just thought I'd post an update on this!

My Z-axis misbehaved on the first one I cut and I couldn't bring it back to a standard I would be happy to send it out, so I cut you a new one :)

Ignore the machining lines and clear film on the pickguard, it snagged a little on the bit whilst it was cutting but it's fine in person :) I will also chisel off the tabs on the pickup routes.

Sorry also for the crappy phone pics!

I pictured it with a Warmoth 24-3/4" conversion neck, it looks like it goes right up flush to the neck pickup with this particular overhang which is a bonus if you want to use this kind of neck!

Hope you like it, should be done within a week.

Cheers!
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:52 pm

That looks amazing! That neck does look great with it also.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:01 pm

Glad you like it! It will look much better with the plates on. And even though I'm a sucker for binding I think it might even look better without binding on this scale neck, it would leave a similar amount of overhang past the last fret as the size between the 21st and 22nd frets, if that makes any sense. Probably something only real OCD style sticklers will care about though! :D
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:23 pm

rank wrote:
N0_Camping4U wrote:Dude, please paint that XII firemist silver!!!
I just may...I've been trying to think of colors for the XII & Mustang.

I've never seen a XII in FMS and I've been obsessed with the color for a long time. I just recently got a Jazz bass painted firemist silver and have my own XII project that is painted in firemist gold. Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:26 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:I just recently got a Jazz bass painted firemist silver and have my own XII project that is painted in firemist gold.
I remember seeing the thread on that bass. The strap you had with it was beautiful too. I may end up turning the Toronado into an XII & turning the XII body into a sort of Maverick. Just going to slap on a Jazzmaster neck & go or maybe get a Warmoth XII neck but have them only drill holes for 6 tuners (if they will)?

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:48 am

rank wrote:
N0_Camping4U wrote:I just recently got a Jazz bass painted firemist silver and have my own XII project that is painted in firemist gold.
I remember seeing the thread on that bass. The strap you had with it was beautiful too. I may end up turning the Toronado into an XII & turning the XII body into a sort of Maverick. Just going to slap on a Jazzmaster neck & go or maybe get a Warmoth XII neck but have them only drill holes for 6 tuners (if they will)?

Thanks! I love that strap, I use it on all my guitars.

That's an interesting idea about the Maverick rebuild... Let us know what Warmoth says about the neck with only 6 holes. I'd imagine they would do it.

Can't wait to see your projects come to life!

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:37 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:That's an interesting idea about the Maverick rebuild... Let us know what Warmoth says about the neck with only 6 holes. I'd imagine they would do it.
I may have given up on the Maverick build. After some investigating, I found that the headstock had apparently been chopped down on the originals:
[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img]/url]
I doubt Warmoth would do this or, if they did, would charge so much that it wouldn't make it "economically attractive" to me.

Also, where did you get that strap?

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:38 pm

A little progress update: I have decided on a color for the XII (I think) & have ordered some Novak pickups so I should be moving along with the XII soon. I have also decided on some Antiquity I's for the charcoal frost Jazzmaster so that is close to finished also. I've stained the Toronado body but I've done nothing with the Mustang & have pretty much abandoned the Shergold since I can't find a neck for it (you may see the body in the for sale section very soon). I have also added the Rankmaster project with an amazing body built by our very own Deedpoll. I have discovered Discogs & have been using that to fund my guitar builds & hope to have more progress soon.

The color I'm thinking of for the XII is olive green with a black pick guard & black pickup covers & yes, there will be a matching headstock.
[URL=http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img]/url]

Thoughts?

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:25 pm

It's a very "in" color ;)

It also happens to be a nice color that I'm a fan of, so one vote of a approval here.

Are you planning on actually making it a twelve string? I wonder if you couldn't find someone to cleanly put a second set of holes in a JM trem instead of using a stop plate, assuming that's even an attractive idea.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:19 pm

noisepunk wrote:Are you planning on actually making it a twelve string? I wonder if you couldn't find someone to cleanly put a second set of holes in a JM trem instead of using a stop plate, assuming that's even an attractive idea.
I'm using one of Faction's 12 string plates. I think there would be tuning issues if I tried to actually use a trem with it.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:55 am

Update: the XII, Rankmaster, & Charcoal Frost Jazzmaster are about done...so much for focusing on 1 at a time. The XII will be white blonde (I fell in love with that Jag that Sonicchris posted) & am going to paint the Rankmaster heritage red like an old SG. I'm hoping to have the 3 finished up in about a month & will post pics as they are completed.

The Mustang will follow after that & will be Burgundy Mist Metallic with a black pickguard & a black headstock, white knobs & pickup covers, & white switches once I can find them.

I am going to have to wait a bit on the Toronado until I can find some suitable pickups & a neck for it.

I have given up on the Shergold since I can't find a neck for it. I was holding out hope that the reissues would provide me a neck to use but, after seeing them, I've decided to abandon the project instead.