ThePearDream's Project Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ThePearDream's Project Thread

Post by sal paradise » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:59 am

We should have a “disinterested dogs” thread :D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:47 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:53 am
Thanks. I already was close to ordering both their Jaguar P90s and these exact pickups... and then I told myself: go support those pickguard winders you know and ordered from Rübezahl and Q. But form-factor and what they are are both interesting to me. But if I put my PAF-sized Humbuckers in my upcoming Baritone-Mighty JagBacca Build - I'd finally have used all the pickups I own and would have all the guitars that I "need" (minus a Bass and a XII - but maybe I'll start with Nashville Tuning first, to see if that upper octave does anything useful for me!).

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:53 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:47 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Thanks. I already was close to ordering both their Jaguar P90s and these exact pickups... and then I told myself: go support those pickguard winders you know and ordered from Rübezahl and Q. But form-factor and what they are are both interesting to me. But if I put my PAF-sized Humbuckers in my upcoming Baritone-Mighty JagBacca Build - I'd finally have used all the pickups I own and would have all the guitars that I "need" (minus a Bass and a XII - but maybe I'll start with Nashville Tuning first, to see if that upper octave does anything useful for me!).
Since, you just re-read the thread, you'll recall that I had setup my Dakota Red Duo style build in Nashville tuning. Well, it's still setup like that. I sold my 12 string a few months later though. I actually changed the pickups in the Duo to a Mustang set (also from eyguitar) and put it right back into Nashville tuning.

Even though I have a set of XII templates, and have made three nice XII bodies for copaceticcustoms, I can't see ever wanting another full scale XII again. I do have an idea brewing though, to do a Musicmaster XII, so 24" and a single XII pickup pair in the neck.
Last edited by ThePearDream on Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm

Might as well drop an update on this one:

I'm waiting on the pickup, It should be at least a few more weeks until that shows up. I'll be using a Planet Tone Aggressor humbucker, which seems to be their take on the JB. I used and like their MHS humbuckers in Apollo #1, and they are only an hour away from me, so I'm giving them some repeat business. There's a mini toggle for what will either be a parallel/split/series switch or a strangle switch, an arcade button killswitch, and a 500k volume knob.

The frets are ready for leveling and the nut is roughed in.
Should be pretty cool.
Doug
@dpcannafax

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:09 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:53 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Since, you just re-read the thread, you'll recall that I had setup my Dakota Red Duo style build in Nashville tuning. Well, it's still setup like that. I sold my 12 string a few months later though. I actually changed the pickups in the Duo to a Mustang set (also from eyguitar) and put it right back into Nashville tuning.

Even though I have a set of XII templates, and have made three nice XII bodies for copaceticcustoms, I can't see ever wanting another full scale XII again. I do have an idea brewing though, to do a Musicmaster XII, so 24" and a single XII pickup pair in the neck.
man a 24" scale xii is something i never knew i wanted. musicmaster style would be sick.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:58 pm

efiug wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:09 pm
ThePearDream wrote:

man a 24" scale xii is something i never knew i wanted. musicmaster style would be sick.
Yeah, I'm thinking of a 70s Musicmaster styled guard. Angled pickups of course. I'd make a 60s guard template too, but I love those wonky 70s guards.
Doug
@dpcannafax

daCod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daCod » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:19 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:54 pm
Might as well drop an update on this one:

I'm waiting on the pickup, It should be at least a few more weeks until that shows up. I'll be using a Planet Tone Aggressor humbucker, which seems to be their take on the JB. I used and like their MHS humbuckers in Apollo #1, and they are only an hour away from me, so I'm giving them some repeat business. There's a mini toggle for what will either be a parallel/split/series switch or a strangle switch, an arcade button killswitch, and a 500k volume knob.

The frets are ready for leveling and the nut is roughed in.
Should be pretty cool.
This. Is. AMAZING!!!!
your paranoia must be weapons-grade.
“I have terrible hearing trouble. I have unwittingly helped to invent and refine a type of music that makes its principal proponents deaf.” ~ PT

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat May 06, 2023 8:04 am

Copaceticcustoms sent me an update on my metal flake Jaguar finish. It's taking him a while because I sent him the largest flake I could find ;D. It's probably my fault that he stopped taking orders for flake jobs :whistle: .

I've cleared out all of my blue guitars (except my IBM Jag-Stang) in the last year or so. This will be the ultimate blue offset though. I used the name Cougar, to go with some of my other short scale builds, which are named for mammals native to my area - Coyote, Pronghorn, and now, Cougar.
Doug
@dpcannafax

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Sat May 06, 2023 8:28 am

ThePearDream wrote:
I actually have your H-with-arrow-logo XII-blaster here at House of the Dragon, awaiting a full plug-in/play-through and such. (It's been adorning the wall at my office since I bought it, but recent 'employment-related' events have it here where I can maybe plug in and play when I get a second.)
ThePearDream wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:04 am
I've cleared out all of my blue guitars (except my IBM Jag-Stang) in the last year or so. This will be the ultimate blue offset though. I used the name Cougar, to go with some of my other short scale builds, which are named for mammals native to my area - Coyote, Pronghorn, and now, Cougar.
Suggestions for more Rocky-Mountain-local-mammal names for future builds: Jackalope, Sasquatch, Trashy Party Girl? (I've been to Cortez recently.)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat May 06, 2023 9:32 am

That is a GORGEOUS blue :? :? Copacetic does such great work!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 06, 2023 10:02 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Copaceticcustoms sent me an update on my metal flake Jaguar finish. It's taking him a while because I sent him the largest flake I could find ;D. It's probably my fault that he stopped taking orders for flake jobs :whistle: .

HOLY BALLS!

That's one I could blatantly walk into the house with, say "Hey, honey! look what I got!", and the wife might let me live since she loves blue. 🤣

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat May 06, 2023 11:00 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:28 am
ThePearDream wrote:
I actually have your H-with-arrow-logo XII-blaster here at House of the Dragon, awaiting a full plug-in/play-through and such. (It's been adorning the wall at my office since I bought it, but recent 'employment-related' events have it here where I can maybe plug in and play when I get a second.)
Oh wow, that's cool. That was a fun project and I learned a lot putting it together.
SignoftheDragon wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:28 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Suggestions for more Rocky-Mountain-local-mammal names for future builds: Jackalope, Sasquatch, Trashy Party Girl? (I've been to Cortez recently.)
I was in Cortez a few weeks ago. The Trashy Party Girls must have been hibernating still.

Maybe a Mustang with a Trout burst finish? Silver to pink to green, with black spots. :freako:
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat May 13, 2023 10:49 am

I decided to swap out a pair of GFS gold foil type pickups from this old build, and swap in the GFS Surf-90s that used to be in my IBM Jag-Stang. I think this may be where they were supposed to go all along. They fit right in with the semi-hollow body and bound sparkle top and the flat strings I already had on it.

Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun May 14, 2023 6:28 am

Here's a little preview of this Swinger build. This is after knocking the lacquer flat - it still needs polishing. I thought I'd use one of these wonky Mustang plates that I already had, but I can't bring myself to do it. I have ordered what will hopefully be a correct shaped Mustang control plate.

Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue May 16, 2023 2:16 pm

Just needs the new control plate and some slightly longer intonation screws. The vintage DiMarzio sounds great!

Doug
@dpcannafax