JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:11 pm

Quick update. Discovered that the blue competition mustang is going to be auctioned off. I'm pretty thankful I got some neck measurements from this guitar recently that better help us undertand what profile the jagstang would have likely had, however, we never did get a profile from it. So here is hoping that the competition mustang is bought by a collector who is not extremely private, someone I can find easily and someone I can contact. I hope that we will be able to eventually get a profile from that neck from the new owner.

The auction is May 20th-22nd at Juliens live.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:09 am

If any of you European lads or lasses want to see the Compstang, it will be on display at the Hard Rock London on April 28th, 2022 through May 3rd, 2022.

If anyone goes, please take lots of pictures. If you are able to take pictures of the back and sides of the neck, as straight as possible, that would be incredibly helpful. However, we don't know how it will be displayed, so if you can't, no worries.

JohnnyJaguar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnnyJaguar » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:27 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:26 am

Kurt had a pink Jagstang ??

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:41 am

JohnnyJaguar wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:27 am
Amon 7.L wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:26 am

Kurt had a pink Jagstang ??
Stage lighting.

JohnnyJaguar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JohnnyJaguar » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:24 am

Ok I see
Thanks !

Amazing amount of work an research, thanks for your time

Cool color in shell pink, i always wanted a shell pink guitar,
I now think about refinish my future jagstang : I’m about to buy a 2002/2004 blue stang, what about refinishing it ? I mean, is it a collectible guitare ?
Personally I don’t think so. Maybe first series from 96 will be sought after cause they are first run
I use to don’t give a f about reselling prices and do what I want/need on my jags, but what about this serie ?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:22 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:09 am
If any of you European lads or lasses want to see the Compstang, it will be on display at the Hard Rock London on April 28th, 2022 through May 3rd, 2022.

If anyone goes, please take lots of pictures. If you are able to take pictures of the back and sides of the neck, as straight as possible, that would be incredibly helpful. However, we don't know how it will be displayed, so if you can't, no worries.
I’ll be going on Sunday or Monday next week. The least I can do is get you some photos after creating probably the best ever thread on the Internet ☺️
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:41 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:22 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:09 am

I’ll be going on Sunday or Monday next week. The least I can do is get you some photos after creating probably the best ever thread on the Internet ☺️
Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate it! The MoPop museum gave us measurements of the neck but we couldn't get the actual neck profile. So any clear images of the side of the neck, as centered as possible would be a blessing. If you can get shots of the back of the neck, that would be a bonus, but I imagine it will be mounted and that will likely be impossible.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:43 am

JohnnyJaguar wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:24 am
Ok I see
Thanks !

Amazing amount of work an research, thanks for your time

Cool color in shell pink, i always wanted a shell pink guitar,
I now think about refinish my future jagstang : I’m about to buy a 2002/2004 blue stang, what about refinishing it ? I mean, is it a collectible guitare ?
Personally I don’t think so. Maybe first series from 96 will be sought after cause they are first run
I use to don’t give a f about reselling prices and do what I want/need on my jags, but what about this serie ?
It's definitely collectable. More so now that the new reissue has been released. At the same time, I always encourage people to do what they want to their guitars. If it's more attractive to you and makes you want to play it more, then go for it.

ccozzu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ccozzu » Tue May 10, 2022 6:27 am

wow just got through this absolute monster of a thread. extremely informative stuff it’s really amazing how u guys were able to piece this stuff together so carefully and accurately. i was wondering if we had the body measurements, or at least accurate enough measurements, of blue 1.0. has someone made their own fully accurate replica? thinking of making my own and would love to know if it’s been done or if we have measurements to base it on. if someone’s done it they should send it in to a custom shop like warmoth. that would be sick to have an easily accessible body of kurt’s approval!

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue May 10, 2022 7:33 pm

ccozzu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:27 am
wow just got through this absolute monster of a thread. extremely informative stuff it’s really amazing how u guys were able to piece this stuff together so carefully and accurately. i was wondering if we had the body measurements, or at least accurate enough measurements, of blue 1.0. has someone made their own fully accurate replica? thinking of making my own and would love to know if it’s been done or if we have measurements to base it on. if someone’s done it they should send it in to a custom shop like warmoth. that would be sick to have an easily accessible body of kurt’s approval!
Your best bet would be to reach out to Lomic Guitars. While measurements at this point do exist and most of them have been determined (neck isn't entirely finished yet), there are trademarks and such through FMIC and neither of us are at liberty to divulge that information. But Lomic Guitars did reverse engineer his own replica. I don't know if he would be willing to make you one or not, but that is currently your best option.

ccozzu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ccozzu » Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:33 pm
ccozzu wrote:
Your best bet would be to reach out to Lomic Guitars. While measurements at this point do exist and most of them have been determined (neck isn't entirely finished yet), there are trademarks and such through FMIC and neither of us are at liberty to divulge that information. But Lomic Guitars did reverse engineer his own replica. I don't know if he would be willing to make you one or not, but that is currently your best option.
ahhh i see. shot him a pm requesting measurements, hoping for a response. i wonder why fender didn’t use the prototype body as a template for the reissue especially since a thread like this had been in the works for 2 years before they announced it. seems like they have all the tools to make it exactly as kurt had liked it back then but they just didn’t. guess their pride is still getting in the way 30 years later

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 pm

ccozzu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:13 pm
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:33 pm
ccozzu wrote:
ahhh i see. shot him a pm requesting measurements, hoping for a response. i wonder why fender didn’t use the prototype body as a template for the reissue especially since a thread like this had been in the works for 2 years before they announced it. seems like they have all the tools to make it exactly as kurt had liked it back then but they just didn’t. guess their pride is still getting in the way 30 years later
I do believe they had the blue prototype in their possession at some point. They certainly corrected some things on the MIM reissue and made them a bit more "correct". Although, for supposedly having the "red prototype" in their possession, they also didn't make the original production models the same as that one either. There was definitely some things going on at Fender that don't add up and still don't.

I do know that Fender still has the file for the jagstang in their original cnc machine, but the original template for that machine is missing. Back in 1993, they were $8000 to make. It's not worth it to them to spend that amount of money and then some to revive it when they can create something close enough that the average person probably wouldn't notice.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sun May 22, 2022 8:33 am

The Competition Mustang sold to buyer #822 for $3,750,000.00 USD.

Edit: After associated fees and such, the guitar sold for $4,500,000.

The plus side to this purchase is that the owner has chose not to remain anonymous. I will do my best to contact the individual to get the neck profile off of the competition mustang so that we may better understand the neck on Blue.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:06 pm

This is probably the wrong thread for this but it's about the Jag-stang.

I was browsing around instagram and noticed this Jag-stang listed by some international store seller.
And it has the correct control plate!! NOT the wonky new ones.

So, I'm guessing the 2022 batch of these has the correct control plate.

I've ordered one of these from a local supplier so I'm hoping I get one of these batch.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:13 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:06 pm
This is probably the wrong thread for this but it's about the Jag-stang.

I was browsing around instagram and noticed this Jag-stang listed by some international store seller.
And it has the correct control plate!! NOT the wonky new ones.

So, I'm guessing the 2022 batch of these has the correct control plate.

I've ordered one of these from a local supplier so I'm hoping I get one of these batch.
Just noticed this post. Good catch!

My apologies for the delay. I've been having some health issues and I've also been being a live in caretaker for a family member and their needs are many so i have been quite busy.

Having said that, we are working on discovering the neck profile of the Jagstang prototype for all of you. We definitely have a couple sets of measurements, one set that may be Larry's Mustang notes as well as measurements off Kurt's compstang. I have also contacted the buyer of the compstang and have been trying to convince him to allow us to take the profile measurements of the Compstang. However, this route may be a dead end, but you never know.

If anyone here has a vintage mustang from 1969 or 1970 and are willing to take a profile measurement for us, it would be greatly appreciated. We could use some samples in an attempt to match.