Duplicolor Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Duplicolor Thread

Post by preservation » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:19 am

Anyone have luck with a Fiesta Red (or faded version)?

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:17 pm

Went ahead with my bullet to competition mustang project and used Bahama blue for LPB. I have attempted various rattle can paint jobs in the past, but this is the first time working with duplicolor and I regret every using any other paint. it's so easy to work with with how fast it dries and how well it adheres. I added a competition stripe over the Duplicolor with rustoleum ocean mist and used 2k clear coat, since I didn't trust using the rustoleum as a base and only had a day at a friends place to paint (I live in the city without a space to paint).

It looks great even before I the final sanding and polishing, though Im thinking the one can of 2K isn't enough. I may actually go over it again with oil based poly in a week or so to let the 2K really harden and cure.

Moo-Stang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Moo-Stang » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:06 pm

gerardguey wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:17 pm

Went ahead with my bullet to competition mustang project and used Bahama blue for LPB. I have attempted various rattle can paint jobs in the past, but this is the first time working with duplicolor and I regret every using any other paint. it's so easy to work with with how fast it dries and how well it adheres. I added a competition stripe over the Duplicolor with rustoleum ocean mist and used 2k clear coat, since I didn't trust using the rustoleum as a base and only had a day at a friends place to paint (I live in the city without a space to paint).

It looks great even before I the final sanding and polishing, though Im thinking the one can of 2K isn't enough. I may actually go over it again with oil based poly in a week or so to let the 2K really harden and cure.
Keep in mind oil based poly will slightly yellow, and will continue to yellow the more you put on. Not necessarily a bad thing in the case of a Comp stang, but something to be aware of beforehand.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:06 am

Moo-Stang wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:06 pm
Keep in mind oil based poly will slightly yellow, and will continue to yellow the more you put on. Not necessarily a bad thing in the case of a Comp stang, but something to be aware of beforehand.
I was not aware of that initially, but I am now counting on it to yellow 8)

I have a cheapo pearloid HS cobain style pickguard for this that I am going to age/yellow using poly and a little light tan shoepolish.

preservation
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by preservation » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:17 am

Not Duplicolor, but perhaps equally as interesting:
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/FJ ... 7K36q1XA5c

I got this Behr sparkle paint bc I figured it’d at least make an ugly maroon Epi LP special II body look cooler; I’m very impressed.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:07 pm

I think this weekend or next weekend I'm going for a refin. Watched a ton of videos with my GF who wants to participate. I have a nitro body already. I plan to just sand it down as far as I can and go from there. Looking for a blue/grayish charcoal frost Duplicolor or a dark Sherwood green.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

mick jagstang
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mick jagstang » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:32 am

Been scrolling through this thread - fantastic work from everyone - but as someone using Duplicolor for my own project right now I have to ask: how are you all getting such smooth paint jobs? Is it a matter of wet sanding or simply being able to spray properly, because I've been trying the latter to no avail, but maybe I just need to not suck at spraying?

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:23 am

I just realized that I never posted this one in here.

Deep Jewel Green (BFM0327)
Highly recommended, gorgeous in person.

Doug
@dpcannafax

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:05 pm

Forgot to post the completed guitar here since I had to give it away as a gift the day after I put it all together. I didn't use more clearcoat after all and just polished as is. Came a long way from the rouuugh shape it came in when I bought it as a bullet hh mustang off craigslist. I did have to use a fender decal to replace the butt ugly newer squier logo, which I realize is a faux pa in these circles but I couldn't find a good squier mustang decal in time to finish the build before I gave it away. (In my defense I put squier decals on my nicer expensive builds so it evens out :jacked: )

All in all, the bahama blue came out really nice after I polished it, it looks especially bright and electric blue in the light. Definitely learned a lot with this project since I worked in a hurry, gonna see if I try one more before summer ends.

Biloxide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Biloxide » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:36 pm

Very nice finish and polishing!!!
Congrats.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:20 pm

gerardguey wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:05 pm

Forgot to post the completed guitar here since I had to give it away as a gift the day after I put it all together. I didn't use more clearcoat after all and just polished as is. Came a long way from the rouuugh shape it came in when I bought it as a bullet hh mustang off craigslist. I did have to use a fender decal to replace the butt ugly newer squier logo, which I realize is a faux pa in these circles but I couldn't find a good squier mustang decal in time to finish the build before I gave it away. (In my defense I put squier decals on my nicer expensive builds so it evens out :jacked: )

All in all, the bahama blue came out really nice after I polished it, it looks especially bright and electric blue in the light. Definitely learned a lot with this project since I worked in a hurry, gonna see if I try one more before summer ends.
🤤🤤🤤

What paint did you use for the comp stripes?

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:04 am

Rustoleum ocean mist in gloss. I had to paint the stripes OVER the duplicolor since the rustoleum has a much longer cure time before I could do another coat of another kind of paint. I was on a time crunch to get it all done in 24 hours, otherwise I would have started with it and let it cure completely before going over it with duplicolor, since it was a PAIN to get clean lines and I had to correct some errors.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:59 am

Not this weekend, but next, I think I'm going for it. I found a guy who did a charcoal frost that I love. Kind of the blue-ish charcoal, not the totally gray.

Does anyone have a jig that they use for paint I can put off amazon or something?

Also, has anyone found a good AVRI sherwood green shade? like the forest green or robin hood color
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:56 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:59 am
Also, has anyone found a good AVRI sherwood green shade? like the forest green or robin hood color
Check out the green on my Swinger build (a few posts back). That's the closest I've found.
Doug
@dpcannafax

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:35 pm

That is a really nice classy shade of metallic green. Especially on that model. I'm looking at my natural pine tele with a 60s rosewood neck in the corner imagining it in that color with a mint pickguard... :?

I used to be obsessed with sparkle finishes, but being on this forum and working more on offsets lately has me a on a metallic finishes kick.