Duplicolor Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Duplicolor Thread

Post by seenoevil II » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 am

If I mess up spraying and get dead spots in the finish, If I let it dry all the way, can I spray over that?

If it's laid on too thick and thus there's no metallic sheen, if it fully cures or whatever acrylic does, will it take another lighter coat on top?
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kifla » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:55 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 am
If I mess up spraying and get dead spots in the finish, If I let it dry all the way, can I spray over that?

If it's laid on too thick and thus there's no metallic sheen, if it fully cures or whatever acrylic does, will it take another lighter coat on top?
Maybe watch a few videos of how to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB_MtpaMYaY

Usually, If you rattle the can enough and spray in continuous pattern it will turn out OK.
If you overspray...well... you need to be patient. Let it to dry for day or two...than lightly sand off the excess paint to get it even.
You can't rush with spraycans :) But the result can be exceptional!

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:43 pm

I watched so many videos in preparation for this. :fp:

I believe that's there's really no substitute for experience with this. I'd have to buy a case of rattle cans and keep cracking until I got it right. But, I'm not that invested in this project. This guitar is garbage (I've posted before about its cracking body and twisted neck).

It looks good from 10 feet and not trying to pull anything over on anyone. It's a Squier. I'll clear coat it, and call it finished. I got a mint guard for it. Should look ok.

Edit: now I'm conflicted and thinking about trying again.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:42 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:43 pm
I watched so many videos in preparation for this. :fp:

I believe that's there's really no substitute for experience with this. I'd have to buy a case of rattle cans and keep cracking until I got it right. But, I'm not that invested in this project. This guitar is garbage (I've posted before about its cracking body and twisted neck).

It looks good from 10 feet and not trying to pull anything over on anyone. It's a Squier. I'll clear coat it, and call it finished. I got a mint guard for it. Should look ok.

Edit: now I'm conflicted and thinking about trying again.
Don't give up, brother.
There's nothing to lose and everything to gain by developing your skills in guitar finish.
Worst case scenario you'll just have to strip and start over or simply let the guitar living its life as a beater.
Whichever way you'll either build up some confidence on approaching the instrument without the fear of ruining anything.

it's my 2cents of course, but something tells me you'll gonna have fun in the process if you decide to move forward 8)

Good luck!

geoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by geoman » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:02 am

Had a warm day here last week and was able to put four coats of Avignon Blue over raw Basswood and it turned out perfect. I let each coat dry about 20 minutes and did a light wipe with 800 grit between coats. Last coat was wet and laid down amazing!! No clear coats just the gloss of the Duplicolor. I will see how it holds up. I assembled and played it that night, finish feels good and stopped smelling within 10 hours or so. Feels hard and cured.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0ySeE ... -EJw=w2400

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EQktH ... t_6w=w2400

can't seem to load a sample image. link above works

Dizzy B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dizzy B » Thu May 05, 2022 2:08 pm

first I know this thread is a bit old... but rather than start a new one...

Last post states it was done over "raw basswood"??? No primer or sealer????

Anyway... one real question.. does the Dupli color Perfect match REALLY cure hard enough for use on guitar???
I tried it once 5-6 years ago and still have the guitar and I can say with great certainty that it never cured nearly as hard as a factory finish. One post mentioned that they could push a fingernail into theirs much later.

I'm frequently tempted to give it another shot vs guns/compressor/clean up/expense.... BUT (big but).. I didnt work out great (fully cure) on the occasion i did.

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 am

Dizzy B wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:08 pm

Anyway... one real question.. does the Dupli color Perfect match REALLY cure hard enough for use on guitar???
I tried it once 5-6 years ago and still have the guitar and I can say with great certainty that it never cured nearly as hard as a factory finish. One post mentioned that they could push a fingernail into theirs much later.

I'm frequently tempted to give it another shot vs guns/compressor/clean up/expense.... BUT (big but).. I didnt work out great (fully cure) on the occasion i did.
Definitely cures hard enough for use on a guitar. I've used it many times with great results. The key is to NOT use the Dupli Color clear which, in my experience, never cures hard enough. Just use Dupli Color for the primer and color coats and then for the clear go with one of the readily available nitro clears in rattle cans. I've used Watco and Minwax nitro clear over DupliColor color coats without any issues.

Dizzy B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dizzy B » Tue May 10, 2022 7:18 pm

Tweedledee wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 am
Dizzy B wrote:

Definitely cures hard enough for use on a guitar. I've used it many times with great results. The key is to NOT use the Dupli Color clear which, in my experience, never cures hard enough. Just use Dupli Color for the primer and color coats and then for the clear go with one of the readily available nitro clears in rattle cans. I've used Watco and Minwax nitro clear over DupliColor color coats without any issues.
Thanks for the reply. I got a can of Dup on the shelf and just picked up a can of Watco. Gonna give the duplicor another shot and hope for the best.

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 pm

kdanie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:46 am
I found a place that sells automotive quality acrylic lacquer in spray cans and you can get nearly any color code such as this '65 Pontiac Iris mist:

ken
Has anyone else noticed that whenever someone says he found a source for something, or that "there are better" somethings than the one that you are talking about, he never, ever, ever tells you who they are? My local paint shop used to pack an aerosol can or two for me for any color in the big, big book but I guess that that has to go online nowadays.

Also, one guy here says that nitro works over Duplicolor. Another guy says that it doesn't. Anyone want to break the tie?

Also. I am tickled that someone built a Hallmark Swept-Wing.

Also, Plasti-kote was better than Duplicolor but Duplicolor bought them and killed them. Plasti-kote was a can of paint with some thinner in it. Duplicolor is a can of thinner with some paint in it.

Do I use Duplicolor? Oh hell yes. But not for a long time, for reasons that have nothing to do with Duplicolor. It just hasn't come up on the stuff that I've been doing.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Sun May 15, 2022 10:00 am

Really? you don't know how to do a google search... I guess some need spoon fed:

TCP Global: https://auto-color-staging.myshopify.com/

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 am

Lame Pseudonym wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:54 pm
kdanie wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:46 am
I found a place that sells automotive quality acrylic lacquer in spray cans and you can get nearly any color code such as this '65 Pontiac Iris mist:

ken
Also, one guy here says that nitro works over Duplicolor. Another guy says that it doesn't. Anyone want to break the tie?
Nitro definitely works over DupliColor. Tele on the left: Watco nitro clear over charcoal gray DupliColor. Jaguar: Minwax nitro over charcoal gray DupliColor. Mustang on the right: Watco nitro over Wedgewood Metallic DupliColor.

Dizzy B
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Dizzy B » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:46 pm

Dizzy B wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:18 pm
Tweedledee wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:55 am
Dizzy B wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I got a can of Dup on the shelf and just picked up a can of Watco. Gonna give the duplicor another shot and hope for the best.
Ok.. following up on this... at the advice of "Tweedledee", I gave the Watco a shot as a topcoat and am quite pleased with the results. I live in the desert where it is oddly hot and dry ;D .. followed the directions on the Watco in terms of application and allowed it to cure for about a month. Wet sand and buff. The build has been complete for about 2 weeks (since final assembly) and I'd say the clear coat is plenty cured and hard and can stand up to nearly any finish (in terms of durability and shine).

So.. if anyone is wondering like I did.. is there a way to get a good, hard clearcoat using a rattlecan? Yes. Watco.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:55 pm

Waking up this thread to add Duplicolor BGM0506 Indigo Metallic:

Doug
@dpcannafax

Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweedledee » Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:38 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:55 pm
Waking up this thread to add Duplicolor BGM0506 Indigo Metallic:

Fantastic! That’s a great looking guitar in every respect.

Here’s my latest Duplicolor guitar. Hampstead Green Metallic with Watco clear.

jdr1014
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jdr1014 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:40 pm

These latest two Duplicolor guitars look terrific! Thanks for posting.....