New Warmoth Jazzmaster build(hardtail plate/Novak PAF)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Warmoth Jazzmaster build(hardtail plate/Novak PAF)

Post by garyptaszek » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:31 pm

OV7 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

One good thing about having multiple partscasters is I can swap stuff back and forth if I get sick of it and it is like getting a new guitar. I moved the black pickguard and hardtail plate to the red JM:

Woah I dig that!
I have a Warmoth hardtail JM too, and I kinda like the pickguard as is.

mortron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mortron » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:50 am

Although conscious of it, I always forget that the Warmoth is slightly different. I wouldn't sweat it if you're content. It's like how the Jazz Bass moved the bridge pickup in the 60s or 70s... Still sounds like a Jazz Bass. Granted, I still have Jazz pickups in it.

Is the Warmoth pickguard the one that moves the knobs further down the butt? Or is that the stock one? I see that as an improvement only because of how I play and can see people preferring that over the other.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 am

I think I got it all dialed in finally:

https://youtu.be/tzYmSJjuUdY

About the only weird thing I've noticed is that the humbuckers make some humming noise on their own but in the combined position they are dead quiet. The guitar is grounded properly. Hum drives me a little crazy.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 am

OV7 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 am

About the only weird thing I've noticed is that the humbuckers make some humming noise on their own but in the combined position they are dead quiet. The guitar is grounded properly. Hum drives me a little crazy.
That's a good-lookin' and good-soundin' Jazzmaster!

As for the noise, a lot of PAFs have a bit of a hum. They're often wound a little unbalanced, with one coil hotter than the other (often the screw coil), leading to some noise. They're probably unshielded under the covers, right? Metal PAF covers do reduce noise a bit, so you could always shield the inside of those pickup covers with some foil tape.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:16 am

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:02 am
OV7 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:39 am

That's a good-lookin' and good-soundin' Jazzmaster!

As for the noise, a lot of PAFs have a bit of a hum. They're often wound a little unbalanced, with one coil hotter than the other (often the screw coil), leading to some noise. They're probably unshielded under the covers, right? Metal PAF covers do reduce noise a bit, so you could always shield the inside of those pickup covers with some foil tape.
The covers are definitely not shielded. I will try that! Thank you for the tip. The hum is minimal with clean and low gain tones but quite noticeable with higher gain tones. I'm using a Plumes Overdrive in that video along with a 2-N-1 boost and an Arrows Boost. I would normally blame all that gain, but in the middle position, it is full-on silent.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am

Yeah, I have a couple of humbucking pickups that do exactly that. A good shielding job helps. If it's any consolation, that bit of hum is related to how good and clear the pickups sound. Slightly unbalanced coils have more clarity than perfectly matched ones.

The fact that they are silent in the middle tells me it's probably the screw coil of each pickup that's a little overwound. It not only gives a clearer sounding humbucker, it also makes for a stronger and more usable tone if you coil split them.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:24 am

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:22 am
Yeah, I have a couple of humbucking pickups that do exactly that. A good shielding job helps. If it's any consolation, that bit of hum is related to how good and clear the pickups sound. Slightly unbalanced coils have more clarity than perfectly matched ones.

The fact that they are silent in the middle tells me it's probably the screw coil of each pickup that's a little overwound. It not only gives a clearer sounding humbucker, it also makes for a stronger and more usable tone if you coil split them.
That is good information. I had no idea! I just screwed a bunch of parts together ;D