göldo TDG1JM tremolo

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nelsongeets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: göldo TDG1JM tremolo

Post by nelsongeets » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:23 pm

rasda wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:38 pm
nelsongeets wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:29 am

For the string breaking, not sure if it will help - some brand strings tend to unravel at the ball end more often than others especially when using an offset trem style setup. Might not hurt to try running a little solder onto the wrapped part by the ball end the next time you put new strings on.

Of course, if this is being caused by sharp metal on the trem then this probably won't help, but has worked wonders for me in the past!
Hey @nelsogeets.

Just a quick heads up on the string breaking.
Solder indeed did wonders. No more string breakage.
I also filed down all the points where the string has contact with the trem some more.
Borrowed some proper needle-files for that.
Now all is good :-)

Cheers
Heck yeah. That’s awesome. Glad the breakage is solved! You still digging the trem in terms of feel and whatnot?

I have another build in the queue and the goldo trem has been requested on this one too. Excited to get to use it again and put it through its paces. Curious to see if I notice any sharp edges on this one or not.

rasda
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rasda » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:08 am

nelsongeets wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:23 pm
Heck yeah. That’s awesome. Glad the breakage is solved! You still digging the trem in terms of feel and whatnot?

I have another build in the queue and the goldo trem has been requested on this one too. Excited to get to use it again and put it through its paces. Curious to see if I notice any sharp edges on this one or not.
Hey.
Yes i still dig it.
Feel is very fine with the longer arm now and i love the adjustability of the height and length of the arm.
The adjustment of the up and down reach of the trem with the thumbscrew is also an advantage over the old fender design.
Tuning stability is also very good.
All around ... yes, i would recommend it after the modifications i made.
Cheers

augur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by augur » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:38 pm

Looks like a good alternative to existing offset vibratos !

I am based in Europe so vibratos are very expensive here...and this one costs more or less the same than a Fender US one actually so why not !
I play a Mastery one on a Deimel guitar which I love ! But very expensive...
Been also interested in the Descendant one, but price is the same than Masterys...

Does Göldo make any bridge for offsets ?

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:27 pm

augur wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:38 pm
Looks like a good alternative to existing offset vibratos !

I am based in Europe so vibratos are very expensive here...and this one costs more or less the same than a Fender US one actually so why not !
I play a Mastery one on a Deimel guitar which I love ! But very expensive...
Been also interested in the Descendant one, but price is the same than Masterys...

Does Göldo make any bridge for offsets ?
There seems to be one on their website if you scroll a bit: https://www.goeldo.de/en/guitar-parts/b ... style/?p=1 --- though not sure about what the price might end up being. You should probably be able to find similar parts or perhaps roller bridge alternatives if you have a TOM bridge or some own project going on.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Seeing this post again reminded me of this customer's guitar, an awesome project based on my Venture-Sonic design (like a Supersonic meets Mosrite, carved top). It is chambered, ash top and roasted Korina back, and he transplanted the guts of a Variax JTV model into it!

This one features the "squid" version, which I think fits rather well in the context, but is a little busy. However, I ordered one of my own to play with, and am impressed enough with the quality that I will be using them from now on for my Jaywalker models once the Stetsbars are used up.

Cheers!

https://youtu.be/Rca6n04BQ3A
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 am

I had the same problem with the arm - I remembered that I've read it fits - and haven't checked back here before ordering! :fp:
It appears a bit too small - but it's not that bad on this specific guitar as it would be on a Jag or Jazzmaster.

I like the oddball look of it on the Eastwood Sidejack but probably wouldn't put it on a Fender-style offset.

The only real problem I have with this is that it when pushing the vibrato-bar down it returns the strings sharp. And the wheel to control the spring tension works only half of the time (at least I suppose the screw should turn with the wheel - which it only does counter clockwise and even not there all the time).
This leaves me a bit bummed. Any quick advice how to set up my zero-point? intuitively I'd say clockwise tights up and counterclockwise loosens the spring (like on the regular offset vibrato).
The guitar worked pretty issue-free with the same string thickness (11-56) before - so I don't see a nut problem appearing out of the sudden - but it's still the stock plastic nut which could be addressed at my next visit at my luthier's workshop. But he's on holidays too - roughly another two weeks.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:48 am
I had the same problem with the arm - I remembered that I've read it fits - and haven't checked back here before ordering! :fp:
It appears a bit too small - but it's not that bad on this specific guitar as it would be on a Jag or Jazzmaster.

I like the oddball look of it on the Eastwood Sidejack but probably wouldn't put it on a Fender-style offset.

The only real problem I have with this is that it when pushing the vibrato-bar down it returns the strings sharp. And the wheel to control the spring tension works only half of the time (at least I suppose the screw should turn with the wheel - which it only does counter clockwise and even not there all the time).
This leaves me a bit bummed. Any quick advice how to set up my zero-point? intuitively I'd say clockwise tights up and counterclockwise loosens the spring (like on the regular offset vibrato).
The guitar worked pretty issue-free with the same string thickness (11-56) before - so I don't see a nut problem appearing out of the sudden - but it's still the stock plastic nut which could be addressed at my next visit at my luthier's workshop. But he's on holidays too - roughly another two weeks.
after some time to mess with this thing and finally a pro setup... it is going back. It surely is a checked out unit - but totally unusable with my drop C# tuning. The G (F#) string always goes sharp... went back to the stock unit... perfectly fine! ::)

whatisdust
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whatisdust » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:40 pm

If anyone is interested in ordering one of these Göldo tremolos or any other of their hardware here in the USA, I am a luthier who is also an authorized dealer for them. PM me if I might be able to help you out.

MVM
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MVM » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:35 am

I just ordered this trem and I live in Berlin, too. Could you tell me which company made the longer arm for you? Thx!
rasda wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 am
I found a little company here in berlin that made me a longer Trem-Arm from V2A-Steel. Now it's perfect.
The trem-arm was still adjusted a bit to high in the pictures. It's lower now.

One issue i have with this Trem is that i broke two high e strings already.
It seems there are still some sharp edges from manufacturing on the bottom where the ball-end of the string is inserted.
Gotta sand that down a bit and then hopefully string breakage at that point is not an issue anymore.
But other than that i am very happy with it and it works just great and very fine.

rasda
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rasda » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:47 am

MVM wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:35 am
I just ordered this trem and I live in Berlin, too. Could you tell me which company made the longer arm for you? Thx!
rasda wrote:
I found a little company here in berlin that made me a longer Trem-Arm from V2A-Steel. Now it's perfect.

It seems there are still some sharp edges from manufacturing on the bottom where the ball-end of the string is inserted.
Gotta sand that down a bit and then hopefully string breakage at that point is not an issue anymore.
But other than that i am very happy with it and it works just great and very fine.
Hi.
Unfortunately they are out of Business.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:07 am

Tried one on a 73 Guitars offset the other day.

As set up on that guitar it was a bit stiffer feeling than a typical Fender or Mastery. More Bigsby-like in feel, but without the slop or all-or-nothing thing Bigsbys sometimes have. Looks to be well made and fit the aesthetic of the guitar well.

rasda
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rasda » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:07 am

MVM wrote:
rasda wrote:

Hey again.
I just saw that you can buy longer Trem Arms at Rockinger.com
https://www.rockinger.com/parts/hardwar ... emola?c=60
There is one that is 25cm long.
The diameter should fit. But i think it's best you measure beforhand.
Cheers

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:16 am

rasda wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:07 am
MVM wrote:
rasda wrote:

Hey again.
I just saw that you can buy longer Trem Arms at Rockinger.com
https://www.rockinger.com/parts/hardwar ... emola?c=60
There is one that is 25cm long.
The diameter should fit. But i think it's best you measure beforhand.
Cheers
Hey MVM, If that's the only arm they offer, than it's the exact arm I ordered which didn't fit!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:07 am

Hello all,

I've been developing my toolpaths for mounting this vibrato into my Jaywalker model, and thought I'd share my progress!

Here's how it will fit into the design

And here are the pictures of the practice route. The mounting bar at the front (with the screws in it) is 6mm thick, and on the Jaywalker it will be recessed 4.5mm into the body. My steel plates will make up the remaining 1.5mm thickness, so this was really a test of the recess shape so I can be sure the laser-cut plates will fit well.

Video of operation here: https://imgur.com/a/HH3PI6s

Long story short, I made all the routes 1.5mm deeper than necessary, so I can "pretend" the top surface of the wood is the plate. I wouldn't route it with such tight tolerances of I were doing this as a flush route straight into a body, because paint would obviously make it too snug!

Cheers all
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

hanspanzer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hanspanzer » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:37 pm