Mark Hoppus Jaguar Bass (Converted Jazz Bass) - Project Build

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andy2514
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Mark Hoppus Jaguar Bass (Converted Jazz Bass) - Project Build

Post by andy2514 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:57 am

Nitro

Finally finished the painting process. For those in the UK who are interested, I used Dartfords Artic White. Totally recommend it - it came out of the can super smooth and consistent. When I got low on one can I just switched to the second to avoid low-pressure splatter and lots of shaking.

After endless rounds of primer, stripping, woodwork, sanding and re-primering I laid down 4 thickish coats of nitro. 1&2 went on really well, 3 was a disaster and required a bit of sanding to remove runs and sags, no. 4 was the best layer of paint I've ever hit. So I left it at that. Dartford's recommend to go without a clear coat on Artic White, so I'm running with that suggestion, this bass is only ever going to be used at home so it doesn't need to be packing protection.

There's a bit of orange peel but not obscene amounts which I'm stoked about. Less sanding ahead.

Also, happy to report, no epoxy/wood movement. We've had a run of very warm and very cold days in the UK since I installed the cherry block and used West System Epoxy and it has stood the test.

Now to leave it for 4 weeks and hope it cures :w00t: .

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Fri May 29, 2020 6:57 am

The idea of a single P, lower chrome content Jaguar bass is pretty great. I've got a US Jaguar and two Squier shorties, and definitely prefer a more minimal approach. I still wonder why the U.S. Jaguar didn't sell better since they still seem to have a market for Mexican made ones, it's the most original and cool bass Fender conjured up in many years. I've got flats on mine and play it the most out of all my basses.

andy2514
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by andy2514 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:04 am

Not much progress to report as I'm currently waiting on the nitro to cure.

I did, however receive the Fender Deluxe ″F″ stamp tuning machines to match the neck. If I'm being blunt, these are overpriced, look crap and feel cheap, I'd advise anyone considering them to not bother and spend your money on a nice set of nickel Schaller tuners instead. I'm 99% sure the nuts are plastic too. That said, they are designed for this neck, were super easy to fit - no alignment or drilling needed, let's hope they hold tune!

I'm just waiting on some print samples to test fit my final pickguard design - so hopefully that'll come in the next few days so I can get it into production. I have noted as the nitro is curing, its shrunk which has revealed some sanding marks where I didn't quite get the primer to a perfect base, and there's a small mark one edge of the wooden block. I'm confident these will sand out when I polish it. Here's a glimpse of the body curing:

andy2514
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by andy2514 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:18 am

Polishing

After about 5 weeks the nitro suddenly went off. One day I could dig a fingernail into it, and the next I couldn't...

I started with 800 grit, sanded it vaguely level, then went up the grits to 2000. I started polishing it with the Dartfords polishing kit - which I'd totally recommend - but it wasn't coming out as expected. Let it sit for a day then went through the grits again starting at 1500 this time all the way up to 2500 and then polished through the 3 compounds and got a bit of a mirror finish. Up close there are tiny scratch marks, but I kind of like the semi-vintage-worn look. From 30cm away it looks smooth.

Ps: Those ridiculously oversized string-thru ferrules on the back look incredible, if I say so myself.

Fitted the bridge, earth wire and mounted the neck. There is a bit of a "Mind the Gap" situation on one side of the neck. I got a bit over zealous when i was stripping the original paint and removed a bit too much material in the pocket, and the neck itself is marginally smaller. But I can live with it.

I'm just waiting on a 5th and hopefully final pickguard template to test before I get that made up. So very close now, I'm itching to play it!

andy2514
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by andy2514 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 am

Shielding

Copper tape on white. Damn, wish this could be a visible feature, it seems a shame to hide it under a pickguard! If you look closely, you can see I had to Dremel out some small recesses on the pickup and control cavity just to make sure the pickups and pot can squeeze into that space.

Threw some classic Ernie Ball Super Slinky's on it to check alignment and do a bit of a setup. I've lucked into a neck that is super straight, and a fitment that has allowed for a really nice action with no fret buzz which required no truss rod adjustment or shims.

Any tips on how to close up that neck pocket gap to the left-hand side?
It's about 1mm, I'm tempted to just leave it as adding something in there will be quite visible... Its not that prominent in these pics, more so in the last image on my previous post.

Benjirob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Benjirob » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:53 pm

Did you ever finish this?
Terrible love and I'm walking with spiders

andy2514
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by andy2514 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:48 am

Finished!

I can’t believe I forgot to post the reveal! This has been completed for a good 6 months now, plays incredibly well, sounds awesome. The nitro finish came out so good, and it seems to be getting better looking with a tiny bit of wear and tear.

What to build next?

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:08 am

Wow, Awesome! My kind of project for sure!
I just love what you did with this Bass! :-*

I'm impressed you managed the body shape from a P-Bass. I nevr knew a Jag shape was hiding in it :)
Keep up the nice work, curious to see what you'll do next....

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 pm

Looks great. Congrats. Bet the next project will go a lot smoother. Looking forward to it.

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Absolutely beautiful. Inspires me to do something similar!!

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:55 pm

You did such a good job. Congrats! That bass is lovely. :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars