Modding a Squier Super-Sonic to be left handed

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modding a Squier Super-Sonic to be left handed

Post by hillerheilman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:29 pm

Sweetfinger wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:04 pm
The best part is that after, you'll have the perfectly good body you can sell. I need a pickguard from one of those.
This is true. You could probably recoup most of your costs depending on how many of the parts you don’t need/are able to sell.
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:36 pm
Best case scenario is, if you use the existing body and mod it, it will end up in the
"Why did you do it? Why did you do this thing to me?" thread and someone will say "I'd still rock the hell out of that!"
This is also true. I guess in the end it really depends on what you actually want. From a purely practical perspective I’d go with option A. (build and paint body/ sell spare parts) If you just want a playable lefty offset this is the most logical route aside from maybe just buying one outright.

However, if you either just want a challenge, or to do something different just for the sake of it then by all means, choose the modding route. All the builds I come up with happen pretty much that same way. I think up a crazy concept that may not necessarily be great in terms of practicality or functionality but could be cool, and I see what can be done with it. Some have practical aspects, sure. But it’s mostly just to see if I can get around certain issues, throw unorthodox things together and come out the other side with something different than what everyone else has. Granted, they VERY rarely come out well. Especially in comparison to what other people have done on the forum. I cannot hope to match the guitar wizardry of Deed_Poll , for example. But in the event it does turn out well I always feel really rewarded by the experience. And even if it doesn’t I get to learn and improve.

Sorry for the long winded response, but yeah. Essentially you’ve just gotta decide whether to go the practical route or the creative one. Or maybe even some of both. After all, if you do go the route of making a body it could essentially be whatever shape you like.

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:26 pm

hillerheilman wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:29 pm
However, if you either just want a challenge, or to do something different just for the sake of it then by all means, choose the modding route. All the builds I come up with happen pretty much that same way. I think up a crazy concept that may not necessarily be great in terms of practicality or functionality but could be cool, and I see what can be done with it. Some have practical aspects, sure. But it’s mostly just to see if I can get around certain issues, throw unorthodox things together and come out the other side with something different than what everyone else has. Granted, they VERY rarely come out well. Especially in comparison to what other people have done on the forum. I cannot hope to match the guitar wizardry of Deed_Poll , for example. But in the event it does turn out well I always feel really rewarded by the experience. And even if it doesn’t I get to learn and improve.
Seconding this! If you've got a dream and you're up for a challenge, go for it! I'll agree with everyone else's comments that it sounds like more trouble than it's worth, but hey, sometimes you're just in the market for a good bit of trouble. 😄

zgw3kszo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zgw3kszo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 am

Does anyone know where I would be able to procure a 40mm left handed nut? I can't seem to find one anywhere
I despise the Strat trem

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:05 am

zgw3kszo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 am
Does anyone know where I would be able to procure a 40mm left handed nut? I can't seem to find one anywhere
Probably just buy a nut-blank and then cut it yourself. That's how I think that would go.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jan Deal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:19 am

This will either be the best or worst project to have graced this forum. I am not accepting a middle ground!
Seas, Starry : Fuzz / Pop / Noises

"Gorgeous, soaring waves of guitars which feedback and squall deliriously with fluid and organic rhythms”

www.seasstarry.bandcamp.com

zgw3kszo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zgw3kszo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:31 pm

Received the guitar in the post today, it's the grey variant. I immediately knocked out and flipped the nut so I can play with it while I plan further development. I consulted my father who has done woodworking as a hobby for many years and he thought it best to reuse the body rather than create a new one from my alder blank. I'll keep this thread updated with photos of the development as I progress. I would like to ask however, because neither of us are experienced enough in wiring guitars to create circuits from scratch, would a kind member here be nice enough to help me with a wiring diagram based on my plan drawing on the first page?
I despise the Strat trem

zgw3kszo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zgw3kszo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:57 am

Here's a more proper mockup of my general idea for the guitar drawn digitally:
You may notice that the trem looks odd. That is because I intend to modify the Mustang trem like the user Horsefeather did on this thread: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... p?t=114250
I despise the Strat trem

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:12 pm

One thing to keep in mind if you re-use the body.
No matter how well you patch the tremolo rout on the back and the control cavity,
it will always show through the paint. No matter how well you patch it.
This is why you should build a new body for it.

zgw3kszo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zgw3kszo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:40 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:12 pm
One thing to keep in mind if you re-use the body.
No matter how well you patch the tremolo rout on the back and the control cavity,
it will always show through the paint. No matter how well you patch it.
This is why you should build a new body for it.
You make a very fair point and something that I didn't think about. His reasoning was that if the body were re-used a new neck pocket, etc. wouldn't have to be routed. But I'm not sure which is the better trade off at this point.
I despise the Strat trem

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:23 pm

If you have the skills to cut and fill the existing cavities, it should be easy enough to rout a neck pocket?

rhubka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rhubka » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 pm

I'd like to donate a free pickguard to your lefty project.

I have 5 colors to pick from right now with more coming. I'm retired and super-sonic pickguards are the only pickguard I make.
On Reverb search "super-sonic pickguard 1996"
In the last month, I had a customer send me his 2020 Paranormal pickguards and I have scanned it and converted to CAD and CNC files. It will just take me a week and I'll be able to do a lefty for you.

LMK the color you want and your address and I'll fire it off to help your Lefty Project

I have this cool new Pearl Grey pickguard color coming in 3 weeks and it would look nice on a Paranormal

Good Luck...
Cheers and Stay Safe
Rick Hubka

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:48 am

rhubka wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:20 pm
I'd like to donate a free pickguard to your lefty project.

I have 5 colors to pick from right now with more coming. I'm retired and super-sonic pickguards are the only pickguard I make.
On Reverb search "super-sonic pickguard 1996"
In the last month, I had a customer send me his 2020 Paranormal pickguards and I have scanned it and converted to CAD and CNC files. It will just take me a week and I'll be able to do a lefty for you.

LMK the color you want and your address and I'll fire it off to help your Lefty Project

I have this cool new Pearl Grey pickguard color coming in 3 weeks and it would look nice on a Paranormal

Good Luck...
Cheers and Stay Safe
Rick Hubka
Sorry to thread-jack, but I was wondering how much you charge for guards? I want to build a Supersonic from scratch for my daughter and I (her first electric and we are both lefty), and would love to get one from you. I haven't decided on what pickups I'd want just yet, so I'm curious for a rough price.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

rhubka
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rhubka » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:35 am

Hi
On Reverb OR eBay search "super-sonic pickguard 1996" and you'll find the 5 colors I currently have available.
I'll make them for you in Left or Right and do Custom pickup size and layout at no extra charge.
Just message me with details when you are ready.
Very Cool to build an SS from scratch.
This may help anyone interested in this thread. The wiring diagram :w00t:

Cheers and Stay Safe
Rick Hubka

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:58 am

I need to see pictures of this project. I can't wait to see how it turns out, and how you tackle the conversion.

zgw3kszo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zgw3kszo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:12 pm

Here's the guitar in its current state. I've flipped the nut and added a strap point on the upper horn so I can play around as I gather all of the parts for the project.

I despise the Strat trem