Bridge options..?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
TelesAreOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Bridge options..?

Post by TelesAreOffsets » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:36 am

Hey all!

I’m in the process of building a parts jazzmaster which I’m super excited about! I’ve got a hard tail conversion plate and a warmoth 10”-16” neck, and I’m wondering what my bridge options are. I typically play 11s to 13s, so I’m not worried about string slipping, but i don’t need a rocking bridge or anything tailored to vibrato.

If there’s anything that you specifically recommend or think I should avoid, let me know! Thanks!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bridge options..?

Post by Embenny » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:24 pm

You're going to want a bridge that can be adjusted for an extremely flat radius to work with that neck. If I recall correctly, to maintain consistent action across that neck, you'll want a bridge radius of roughly 20".

So, if you want a floating bridge, you want one with adjustable saddles (e.g. stock AV65 bridge, modified mustang). If you want a fixed bridge, a Mastery could be set up flat like that. If you go with another fixed bridge type like a TOM, you'll have to file grooves in the middle saddles to flatten the radius.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

TelesAreOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TelesAreOffsets » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:45 pm

Ok, that sounds about right, I’ve heard I want a bridge radius of about 18”-20”.

Fixed vs Floating bridges on a jazzy: Are floating ones the bridges that are allowed to rock back and forth? If so, i thought Mastery’s were floating bridges.
My other problem with the Mastery’s is the fact that their saddles are set to kind of a preset intonation. It works well with lighter strings, but what about heavier ones with a wound g? Does that make it harder to set up the intonation?

As far as the TOMs go, do they have a different post spacing, or can I drop them straight in?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:24 pm
You're going to want a bridge that can be adjusted for an extremely flat radius to work with that neck. If I recall correctly, to maintain consistent action across that neck, you'll want a bridge radius of roughly 20".

So, if you want a floating bridge, you want one with adjustable saddles (e.g. stock AV65 bridge, modified mustang). If you want a fixed bridge, a Mastery could be set up flat like that.
I don't believe so. The two saddles of the mastery are both individually curved/radiused. I never measured (and since sold mine) but I think the flattest it'll go is around 10-11".

This (hardtail) is probably the only scenario where a Tune-o-matic isn't a terrible option. If buying new you can slot them to your preferred depth/spacing. Otherwise stock AVRI/AV65 bridge.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:24 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:13 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:24 pm

So, if you want a floating bridge, you want one with adjustable saddles (e.g. stock AV65 bridge, modified mustang). If you want a fixed bridge, a Mastery could be set up flat like that.
I don't believe so. The two saddles of the mastery are both individually curved/radiused. I never measured (and since sold mine) but I think the flattest it'll go is around 10-11".

This (hardtail) is probably the only scenario where a Tune-o-matic isn't a terrible option. If buying new you can slot them to your preferred depth/spacing. Otherwise stock AVRI/AV65 bridge.
Oh, I didn't actually know the mastery can't go that flat, I stand corrected.

I agree that a TOM with some slotting work would be the cheapest and easiest solution to reach the 19-20" radius for this bridge since OP doesn't care about vibrato use.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:39 pm

Gotoh made a TOM with height-adjustable saddles, the 510BN, but they're a bit hard to find. Not sure if they go flat or have a less-flat max radius though. They have M4 posts but I'd probably put them on M4/M8 posts with M8 body bushings.
https://www.allparts.com/products/gb-25 ... ble-bridge
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

TelesAreOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TelesAreOffsets » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:00 am

I still don’t know - will a TOM fit straight into a JM body, or will I need to route it or something?
Also, I just came across the Modified Mustang bridge from warmoth, and Fender produces a similar one. Thoughts on those? Are they floating bridges or are they set?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:14 pm

If a Schaller Roller Bridge fits a Jazzmaster/Jaguar (also not the worst option + adjustable string-spacing!) so should a Adjustomatic with the right bushings.

I had the Schaller with 11-56s strings (+vibrato) with no issues. Can‘t vouch for 13s - but I guess they won‘t get much heavier on the bottom...?!

Mastery is non rocking - but maybe a financial overkill for your needs!
Adjustable Mustang/Standard Offset or something like the Loureiro(?! - Tele Saddles on a JM/JG Bridge) should be fine!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:18 pm

Are the thimble holes already drilled/thimbles already installed?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

TelesAreOffsets
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TelesAreOffsets » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:55 am

The holes are drilled, but nothing is installed yet.
I’ll have to look into those, MayTheFuzz!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:39 am

Already drilled for which bridge ? Your options depend on the diameter of the holes. Some bridges may fit exactly, those with smaller posts/thimbles usually require drilling/doweling/re-drilling, those with larger require drilling out.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.