HELP ! I'm wiring a jaguar from scratch, I need some suggestions as this is my first build.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ps___093
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

HELP ! I'm wiring a jaguar from scratch, I need some suggestions as this is my first build.

Post by ps___093 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:44 am

I've found a squire jag for a stupid price, so I decided to turn into a hopefully fun project. I stripped it from all the shitty stock parts, sanded it to almost perfection, and now I'm a little stuck with wiring it back together. I'm super new to all this and I'm learning as I go, so if you have any cool suggestions for mods and wiring I'd appreciate it a lot!

Here's the plan and the parts I'm planing on using:

+ Routing it to fit humbuckers, Seymour Duncan Black Winter for the bridge and Seymour Duncan Sentient for the neck.

+ I'm using 500K pots for both volume and tone, also got some 0.47 capacitors and 220ohm resistors for the tone ( hopefully thats correct )

+ Switching the stock bridge for a Steytrem one, and upgrading the trem for a legit Fender one ( or Steytrem ? )

+ The neck is ok but will sand it down so it feels nicer and change the nut.

+ I was hoping on cutting my own pick-guard from acrylic as one piece, discarding the chrome bits, would that work ? Also I want to make the top two rollers into knobs instead, I prefer the feel haha

Got some photos for you to see what I'm working with, although I'm still waiting for a few parts to come through the post.
Looking forward to hearing you all out!

https://imgur.com/gallery/vOE8s9G?s=sms

https://imgur.com/gallery/POcxJ1m?s=sms

Thanks for looking x

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: HELP ! I'm wiring a jaguar from scratch, I need some suggestions as this is my first build.

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:50 am

I recommend either coil splits or a series parallel switch for the coils of each pickup to retain the option of single coil flavor.

ps___093
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: HELP ! I'm wiring a jaguar from scratch, I need some suggestions as this is my first build.

Post by ps___093 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:25 am

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it all works and how to wire it properly. If you have any sources for diagrams that include coil splits or the series parallel circuit that would amazing.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:37 am

I don't see why the one piece scratch plate would be a problem - it will be more like a Jazzmaster plate.

As for circuits, this might get you started - the switches on the push-pulls could be separate switches rather than switched pots.

There are loads of options here:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/resources ... g-diagrams
All the cheeses....