Building lefty Jaguar and Bass VI - where to get parts

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
petert
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Building lefty Jaguar and Bass VI - where to get parts

Post by petert » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm planning to build a lefty Jaguar and Bass VI, and I'm having hard time finding hardware for them. The biggest problem seems to be finding lefty tremolo. Where can I find lefty pickguard, control plates, bridge and tremolo, etc.?

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Building lefty Jaguar and Bass VI - where to get parts

Post by JVG » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:30 am

Gday mate, and great to see another lefty here.

For the VI guard, Pickguardian does a good version of the early era VI (ie the one with the metal pickup surrounds, not the jag-style claws). For a later era guard, i would try Herad on Reverb - pretty sure he will custom make you a lefty guard.

The Jag guard should be easier to find via a web search, but be warned that there are slight variations in size between models.

For the control plate, Faction Guitars does lefties, but is often out of stock. Herad might also, but i’m not sure.

The best bridge option (to my mind) is Staytrem, but (as you might know) they only ship within the UK nowadays.

For the tremolo, you might get lucky and find a genuine Fender one second hand, but lefties are rare as the proverbial hen’s teeth. You can just use a right handed one; it isn’t a big deal. Otherwise try Mastery or The Descendant by Swope Guitars - they both make lefties but are expensive.

I feel your pain looking for lefty parts. Here’s my VI build from a couple of years ago:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vi ... 8&t=109379

gila_crisis
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by gila_crisis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:35 pm

For the pickguard check earlpilanz on ebay.co.uk:
https://www.ebay.ch/str/earlpilanz

He has a huge array of options, and lately from him I got a new one for my MIJ Jazzmaster.
He was very kind to send me the template, prior order, so that I could check if it would match.
Super happy about the new pickguard, I highly recomand him:

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:01 am

You might want to reach out to one of the members here Footbutt for some pointers. He is a lefty that has built (or has had made for him?) a number of guitars.