Mosrite Style Roller Bridge on Squier JMJM or Classic Player?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Mosrite Style Roller Bridge on Squier JMJM or Classic Player?

Post by RIORIO » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:47 pm

Has anyone tried one of these on their TOM/AOM equipped Jazzmaster/Jags?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Saddle- ... SwulFcY0s7

Looks like it could be an interesting solution...cheap, proper 9.5 radius...ALMOST 52 mm string spacing?

I have a standard staytrem, but no conversion thimbles or drop in variant...

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mosrite Style Roller Bridge on Squier JMJM or Classic Player?

Post by Mechanical Birds » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:07 pm

I’ve always been curious about those saddles (at least) and am kinda surprised that I never seem to see people using them save for maybe a random Eastwood here or there? I’ve only ever seen or played one in person and don’t remember much but looking at pictures it seems like it’d make a lot of sense. Like maybe the edges being a right angle could be problematic but maybe that’s not even a thing.

I’d love to see some examples or hear testimonials about it.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 pm

I just put one on my J Mascis Jazzmaster. I’m very pleased with it, but I’ll offer a few caveats: the post hole size is different, for starters, as are the posts themselves. The JMJM is 1/4” and the Mosrite post holes are perhaps 3/16”. I reamed the holes out on my drill press, only to find that the post spacing is off, too, being a fair amount narrower than the Jazzmaster. Luckily, the bridge is made of brass and was easily widened with a dremel and a deburring bit. I feel like the sustain has increased- you’ll definitely need to shim the neck, as it’s quite a bit taller, iirc, I used a 1° stew Mac shim; and tuning stability is fantastic, no matter how much you use the vibrato. I highly recommend.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Oh, those are 9.5" radius? That's very interesting.

I'm still debating ordering some String Saver saddles for my MIJ JMJM. You can file them so radius isn't an issue, you can use the original bridge, and they're be as low friction as properly working rollers.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:49 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Oh, those are 9.5" radius? That's very interesting.

I'm still debating ordering some String Saver saddles for my MIJ JMJM. You can file them so radius isn't an issue, you can use the original bridge, and they're be as low friction as properly working rollers.
yes, they're 9.5" radius. I never knew I could get the action so low.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:00 pm

My Gretsch/Tele hybrid has an old Yamaha bridge very similar to these Mosrite bridges...

From what I can tell it's pretty much the same set up. It works great with a Bigsby and, so long as your nuts cut & treated properly, it should be fine.

...I stole the brass rollers from a crappy Wilkinson bridge. Looks cool!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:40 pm

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:35 pm
I just put one on my J Mascis Jazzmaster. I’m very pleased with it, but I’ll offer a few caveats: the post hole size is different, for starters, as are the posts themselves. The JMJM is 1/4” and the Mosrite post holes are perhaps 3/16”. I reamed the holes out on my drill press, only to find that the post spacing is off, too, being a fair amount narrower than the Jazzmaster. Luckily, the bridge is made of brass and was easily widened with a dremel and a deburring bit. I feel like the sustain has increased- you’ll definitely need to shim the neck, as it’s quite a bit taller, iirc, I used a 1° stew Mac shim; and tuning stability is fantastic, no matter how much you use the vibrato. I highly recommend.
Seems like a good bit of work is involved in getting it to play nice with the JMJM...sounds really solid once its dialed though! I do like the look of them too....quite funky

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:33 pm

Looking at the measurements a little more closely ...
IIRC the Mascis AOM has 8mm threaded posts with 6mm tops (as does the CP's AOM IIRC, although they are not exactly the same bridge). I do not recall an exact measurement of the JMJM's post spacing. According to the ebay link above, the Mosrite-like bridge has 5mm tops and the threaded lower posts also look to be 5mm. Post spacing is 73.5mm. So if post spacing is amenable, it looks possible to simply enlarge the Mosrite's post holes by ~1mm to drop onto the JMJM's top posts. Edit: Which may be exactly what Lost In Autumn did with those (ie without having to change the body bushings) ? ;)
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:01 pm

The Mosrite-like bridge looks to be the MTB606 from Korean KHL Corp, also marketed by Guyker and wolfguitar on aliexpress and various korean trade sites etc. Quoted 10.3mm string pitch suggests E-E spacing of ~52mm.
http://wolfguitars3.com/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:10 pm

timtam wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:33 pm
Looking at the measurements a little more closely ...
IIRC the Mascis AOM has 8mm threaded posts with 6mm tops (as does the CP's AOM IIRC, although they are not exactly the same bridge). I do not recall an exact measurement of the JMJM's post spacing. According to the ebay link above, the Mosrite-like bridge has 5mm tops and the threaded lower posts also look to be 5mm. Post spacing is 73.5mm. So if post spacing is amenable, it looks possible to simply enlarge the Mosrite's post holes by ~1mm to drop onto the JMJM's top posts. Edit: Which may be exactly what Lost In Autumn did with those (ie without having to change the body bushings) ? ;)
The bushings with the Mosrite bridge are decidedly tiny, you’d have to dowel and redrill, after which you might as well just use a proper floating bridge.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:54 am

always avoided them cause i had no idea they were 9.5 radius
interesting