I made my own tortoiseshell pickguard... And it took me one year!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
fritzypatzy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: I made my own tortoiseshell pickguard... And it took me one year!

Post by fritzypatzy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:33 am

Well, I feel like I need to explain my approach a little better:
While the jag pickguard was my take on authentic tort, the second one was more an exploration of crazier patterns and colors, rather than trying to look accurate. I believe there's also an interest for something a little wilder, but maybe I'm wrong! It was more an intent to showcase the range of what's possible.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:37 am

fritzypatzy wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:33 am
Well, I feel like I need to explain my approach a little better:
While the jag pickguard was my take on authentic tort, the second one was more an exploration of crazier patterns and colors, rather than trying to look accurate. I believe there's also an interest for something a little wilder, but maybe I'm wrong!
No, you're probably right in there being interest - I've seen some very 'out there' Spitfire guards that other folks drool over (and pay a premium for, even second hand).
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am

I guess we all have our different takes on what it takes to be successful in the custom tort pickguard market. :whistle:

Mine is: you'll find more buyers in the 'authentic vintage look' style compared to the 'avant-guard' take (that is a really really good pun). There are certainly people out there that want something cool and different, but... not as many.

Along with other types, Spitfire offers those pizza torts and the meatball torts-- because people want them. I understand why, as there are vintage examples, but eesh. I am not a fan. But this is about fritzypatzy! Figure out a price that works for YOU. Make guards that work for you. The sky is the limit.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:30 am

If I may suggest also selling blank/uncut sheets of various dimensions so potential buyers can cut them to nonstandard shapes. This would be less work on your end (no cutting and drilling holes) and would make it possible for folks who make their own guitars to have access to better quality tort sheets.

fritzypatzy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fritzypatzy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 am
you'll find more buyers in the 'authentic vintage look' style compared to the 'avant-guard' take (that is a really really good pun)
It is very funny that you came up with this pun, because it's actually how I'm naming my small pickguard business! :D
Proof is: this logo I've been working on for a while. It was designed by the very talented british artist Danny Sangra.

I was going to save it for later, but I guess the time has come to unveil it, so here it is!
Hope you'll like it :)

fritzypatzy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fritzypatzy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:51 pm

PixMix wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:30 am
If I may suggest also selling blank/uncut sheets of various dimensions so potential buyers can cut them to nonstandard shapes. This would be less work on your end (no cutting and drilling holes) and would make it possible for folks who make their own guitars to have access to better quality tort sheets.
Really dig that tele with the JM pickups!
For a start, I'm going to focus on the most common shapes, but yeah, I agree, there are plenty of custom works that would deserve the real tort treatment. Not too keen on selling tort sheets but I might offer a custom-cutting option, provided that the customer sends an accurate tracing... That's something I've thought about, but it will definitely come in a second time though.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:46 pm

Wow, there it is. Avant Guard. The proof is in the punning.

Congratulations!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 am

Great minds think alike I guess. :D

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 am

Very, very cool stuff. Where are the Avant Guard headquarters located? If they are within 1 km of my place, I'd love to pay you a visit in the near future :whistle:

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:06 am

You are one hell of a talented artist.
I sincerely wish you this to evolve into a successful business (and hope myself to be able to afford to be one of customer) :?

The logo is very clever and the artist did indeed a top notch work, yet..when I look at... this is how I would I envision the goodness of your craft:

Oozing tort... :?

Please, keep us updated, you already have followers here ;)

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:32 am

FWIW I think the guard on the Fiesta Red Mascis JM looks amazing. I don't care if it doesn't look like an authentic 60s guard - it looks great for what it is

When it comes to guitars and synths I'm a sucker for old gear, but why does everything have to reproduce retro stuff exactly? If it looks good it looks good.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:51 am

Absolutely amazing. I've been down this rabbit hole to an extent, I understand it's a very difficult thing indeed to get right! You have achieved an excellent result.

I shall add myself to the list of people wishing you well in making these available, and to the waiting list!
Owner Operator of Katz Guitars

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 am

I dig the "wild one" on page 3. That's how I imagine the perfect tort. :? :-* :w00t:
So please let us know when you're ready to sell the first batch.
Both interested in a full plate and in a Jaguar guard. Jazzmaster too (but this would mean I'd have to buy or build another one!) :P