P90 between two humbuckers?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Grizzlewulf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: P90 between two humbuckers?

Post by Grizzlewulf » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:31 am

hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 pm
Grizzlewulf wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:24 am
Since it's got that swimming pool route behind the pickguard, I'm thinking of dropping in a middle pickup. Considering doing a P-90.

I don't recall ever seeing this kinda HSH configuration with a P90 in the middle....anyone seen it? Thoughts on the sound it could get?

The first electric I built was two paf sized wide ranges with a p90 in between.

I really liked it, but it admittedly limits the places you’re able to pick. If you’re not somebody who picks and strums close to the neck like me I wouldn’t do it. It had to be set pretty high to sound good so it was like having a deck of playing cards right where most people would strum. That being said though, once it was set right it sounded pretty dang good. An interesting sound very reminiscent of strat in between sounds but with their own thicker, sparkly flavor. Unfortunately with the way it was wired it didn’t have as much adjustment capability as I would like. Without being able to adjust both pickups at once the out of phase neck +middle sounds weren’t really satisfying me.

If I were doing it again, I’d try to find a pickup I could set lower, and make sure your wiring has as much adjustment capability as possible.
Definitely an interesting combo, and entirely worth the experiment.
Yeah the picking might be something I have to get used to. We'll see I guess. I have considered putting in something like a GFS mean 90, might be a little lower profile...but an old school p90 would look cooler, I think. Decisions!

Anyway, that's a neat looking build, tho!

hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: P90 between two humbuckers?

Post by hillerheilman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:16 am

Grizzlewulf wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:31 am
hillerheilman wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 pm
Grizzlewulf wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:24 am
Since it's got that swimming pool route behind the pickguard, I'm thinking of dropping in a middle pickup. Considering doing a P-90.

I don't recall ever seeing this kinda HSH configuration with a P90 in the middle....anyone seen it? Thoughts on the sound it could get?

The first electric I built was two paf sized wide ranges with a p90 in between.

I really liked it, but it admittedly limits the places you’re able to pick. If you’re not somebody who picks and strums close to the neck like me I wouldn’t do it. It had to be set pretty high to sound good so it was like having a deck of playing cards right where most people would strum. That being said though, once it was set right it sounded pretty dang good. An interesting sound very reminiscent of strat in between sounds but with their own thicker, sparkly flavor. Unfortunately with the way it was wired it didn’t have as much adjustment capability as I would like. Without being able to adjust both pickups at once the out of phase neck +middle sounds weren’t really satisfying me.

If I were doing it again, I’d try to find a pickup I could set lower, and make sure your wiring has as much adjustment capability as possible.
Definitely an interesting combo, and entirely worth the experiment.
Yeah the picking might be something I have to get used to. We'll see I guess. I have considered putting in something like a GFS mean 90, might be a little lower profile...but an old school p90 would look cooler, I think. Decisions!

Anyway, that's a neat looking build, tho!
It’s definitely not impossible to get used to, but if you regularly pick in that area it’s something to keep in mind. The pick hitting the pickup won’t sound good at all.