The HairMaster - a Floyd Rose-afflicted offset

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The HairMaster - a Floyd Rose-afflicted offset

Post by epizootics » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:43 am

Now that my Bison baritone build is done, and that France is two weeks into its second lockdown, (prolly not the last one), what better time is there to started on my Build of Shame?

This is at least my twelfth revision on the blueprints. Here are a couple of the previous versions:

This last one will actually get built at some point. I already have the body & neck for it.

So. 25" scale, cherry body, rowan neck & bubinga fretboard, Jescar stainless steel frets, Gotoh vintage-style locking tuners and, of course, that Gotoh Floyd Rose unit I've been threatening to use on a guitar for the past six months or so.

Still unsure about the pickups - I am on a Mini-humbucker rampage at the minute, but I might go back to Strat-sized coils.

I broke down and went for the Kay/Harvester headstock again. It really is my favorite headstock shape ever.

After a few months of research and getting advice from here and there, and since I wanted to forego the locking nut, I decided to go the Parker Fly/Red Special route with the headstock design. Ken Parker advocates the use of a minimal headstock angle to limit friction at the nut. It turns out that a 4° angle was used on both the Fly and Brian May's Red Special. Both guitars used a wide-range trem with no locking nut. I also went with a zero fret.

I ordered a 6mm (1/4")-thick sheet of Acetal/POM for the nut. The material is slippery as hell. I usually trim plastics with a hand plane but this one takes a lot of downward pressure to keep the plane from slipping and skidding. The aim is to minimize friction - that nut is only there to keep the strings spaced evenly. It will be tall to accommodate for the strings jumping up when divebombing, but I might add a cap at the top if they decide to jump out of their slots.

Here we are so far:

You can see the two acetal nut blanks (the first one I cut was a bit too short for the thick fretboard). The bit of plastic sheet under the neck shaft template will be cut into strips to fill up the slots I routed into the fretboard for the markers (same process as the ES-339-ish guitar I build in the Spring). That stuff comes from a knife-making supplier and was sold as 'Elforyn', some type of fake ivory. It smells like coconut when sanded, which freaks me out a bit.

I still need to make a template for the Floyd route. I contacted Gotoh about it and they told me they didn't have any routing templates for their unit, but that it should fit in a FRO route. There are reports online of the top recess route being too short for the clamping bolts. We'll see how this one goes but I'll probably make that top recess a bit longer.

More soon...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The HairMaster - a Floyd Rose-afflicted offset

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:44 am

Ooh. This one will be cool!!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:09 am

Keeping an eye on this, always thought Floyd Roses could go on cool-looking guitars too !

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 am

No shame in this game- let's see where it goes! :w00t:
This is an excellent rectangle

tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tribi9 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:02 pm

Looking good.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 am

Some progress today. We now have something that resembles a neck, and a neck pocket.
I also got a new toy:

My old Ryobi lightweight router has started to show its age - the bearing sound like they're about to die, the collet nut is losing its shape and it doesn't feel like it holds the bits as well as it used to. This little Elu showed up in the classifieds and I couldn't resist. It had never been used - ever. This particular model was made in Italy, so it's nowhere near as sturdy as my big old Swiss MOF 177, but it's definitely on par with the recent Festo routers. And it has a DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM that works really well, which makes me really happy since I still build everything in my flat. :)

Here's where things are at:

I also glued the inlays into the fretboard. Nothing particularly groundbreaking on this build but it's been fun so far.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:26 pm

This is interesting as I can't remember the last time I saw a Floyd on a guitar that wasn't a 'hair' guitar or a Gibson/copy. I get that they can require a bit more work, but it's still interesting they they seem to be confined to one 'genre' of guitars.

This will be cool to see how it turns out.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:01 am

That's quiet a nice refreshing body shape! I like it.
The last version looks fantastic, like some kind of "Frankenstein" guitar body. But in a very good way. I hope you'll do it in the multicolour finish.
I also like your headstock design. It reminds me a bit of the old Framus "foot" headstock, but better executed.

Looking forward to see where this is going... :-*

tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tribi9 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 pm

epizootics wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:43 am

I really like what you did here.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:13 am

Please, keep posting... there are too cool. :?
Your designs are superb.

Subscribed and longing for the new entries!