Pickups for Jaguar and Bass VI builds

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
petert
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Pickups for Jaguar and Bass VI builds

Post by petert » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:08 pm

I'm working on Jaguar (2 single coil pickups) and Bass VI builds from scratch and I was wondering what pickups would you recommend for each build? The goal is to be as close as possible to originals, and when I say that I understand that they probably had different pickups with different issues of these models over the years.

Are there any budget pickups for any of these builds that have good/decent quality?

For the Bass VI build I was thinking to get this set of Pribora pickups, do you think these will work?

https://www.priborapickups.com/product/voodoo-white/

For the Jaguar, I simply have no idea what to get :(

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Pickups for Jaguar and Bass VI builds

Post by ohm-men » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:06 am

In my DIY Bass VI I got a set of (cheap) MIM Vintage 50's strat pick ups. I like how these sound.
So the set in the link you posted will do the job.

Original early Bass VI had a special designed single coil (strat alike) pick up with metal pick up rings. Later this changed to a regular Jaguar pick up with the claws. (and the addition of the strangle switch)

Imho the subtle changes of pick ups are less noticeble in a Bass VI. I tried both Alnico III and V , raised and flat pole pieces in my VI. And used them in home and band settings and really it wasn't that audible. (When compared to a guitar) I finally setled for the Alnico 5 MIM 50's strat set.
I even had cheap ceramic pick ups in the VI and those delivered as well. (perhaps a tad harsher, but not really in a bad way)
The real audible change I heard was Roundwound strings vs Flatwound strings on the VI. And the woods used for the neck and body. This has a much more audible impact imho. (But that's another topic) ;)

For your Jaguar I think the pick ups will make a much more pronounced differance.
I'm no expert on these, (far from it actually) but there is quiet some good stuff out there. The Fender Pure Vintage '65 Jaguars pick ups get a lot of praise here. And ofcourse the boutique guys like Lollar, Novak, Pick up wizard (just to name a few) have already set their mark.

Keep in mind that there are 2 different sets of Jag pick ups out there (if you want to stay close to the originals);
those based on the "62 model, described as a bit darker with more focused mids? (if that means anything to you)
and the "65 model, more trebly, less tight in the mids. (Again this is all subjective and hard to describe)
I think the above are very well described on the Pick up Wizard's web site. (I also think he has sound samples of the differen sets) Get's you an idea on what to expect.

Though, I guess these days you can get whatever you desire, depending on your budget. ;)

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickups for Jaguar and Bass VI builds

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:18 am

I recently put a pair of Novak Jag-V pickups in my Jaguar and am giving serious consideration to put them in my bass vi. They’ve got a great dynamic sound profile, with excellent low end response, without the spiky treble that plagues many Jaguar pickups. If I played my bass vi more regularly, I wouldn’t hesitate, but it is mainly used to add color on my recordings and I pretty much only play it when I’m in the studio.