Jazzmaster of Theseus, or, I'm an idiot

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Arty Pop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster of Theseus, or, I'm an idiot

Post by Arty Pop » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 am

Hey, OSG! Longtime lurker, first (or maybe second; I drink a lot) time poster.

So, I recently decided I wanted a Jazzmaster. I really wanted an actual Fender Vintera, but to “save money” (ha!), I bought a Squier VMJM in Candy Apple Red.

Almost immediately I decided I didn't like the white pickguard that came with the Squier, though. So I bought a pearl-grey one. I also decided I wanted to upgrade the stock pickups with some Vintage 65s, so I bought those also.

After that, I started having the well-known buzzing/rattling problems from the bridge, so I replaced the stock bridge with a Mustang bridge (still 9.5" radius, tho) from eBay.

Then I figured, well, if I’m already replacing the pickguard and pickups, I might as well replace the other electronics, too. I got all the stuff I’d need to completely rewire the guitar with the Rothstein Super Mod—that’s the wiring scheme with dual volumes, G&L-style PTB tone stack, and a series/parallel switch.

I went ahead and got new knobs and rollers, too. I figured that way, after I was done modding my actual guitar, I’d still have the old stock pickguard with all the knobs and electronics left over. Then maybe I could sell that as a complete “loaded” pickguard and recover some of the money I spent on the pickups.

Then I found a great deal on a Fender neck*, so I got that, too. Also, I haven't done it yet, but I’m kind of planning on getting a "real Fender" tremolo, with the locking button.

I think you see what I mean about the Jazzmaster of Theseus. At this point, I'm so close to "replacing" (in theory, I haven't actually started the mod) so many parts on my guitar that there'll be nothing left of the original when I'm done. I'm just a body and a set of tuners away from having the parts to build an entire second guitar. (Also, as most of you will have noticed, with all the money I’ve spent on upgrades, I could have just bought the damned Vintera in the first place. Don't remind me.)

So, should I keep the Squier stock and try to build my dream guitar as a Partsmaster out of all the (fairly high-end) parts I now have? Or is there more to building a guitar than just bolting stuff together, and I’ll have better results upgrading the Squier? Or, finally, should I put all the "good" parts on the Squier and build a rough-and-ready, smash-it-if-you-need-to guitar out of what's left over?

*Which might be counterfeit; that's another thread!

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster of Theseus, or, I'm an idiot

Post by whitewatersky » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:20 am

Choices choices choices. Sounds fun tho

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:32 am

In the spirit of OSG-enablement, you might as well buy a replacement body from Stratosphere or similar and end up with 2 Jazzmasters :freako:
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:52 am

Arty Pop wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:54 am
Hey, OSG! Longtime lurker, first (or maybe second; I drink a lot) time poster.

So, I recently decided I wanted a Jazzmaster. I really wanted an actual Fender Vintera, but to “save money” (ha!), I bought a Squier VMJM in Candy Apple Red.

Almost immediately I decided I didn't like the white pickguard that came with the Squier, though. So I bought a pearl-grey one. I also decided I wanted to upgrade the stock pickups with some Vintage 65s, so I bought those also.

After that, I started having the well-known buzzing/rattling problems from the bridge, so I replaced the stock bridge with a Mustang bridge (still 9.5" radius, tho) from eBay.

Then I figured, well, if I’m already replacing the pickguard and pickups, I might as well replace the other electronics, too. I got all the stuff I’d need to completely rewire the guitar with the Rothstein Super Mod—that’s the wiring scheme with dual volumes, G&L-style PTB tone stack, and a series/parallel switch.

I went ahead and got new knobs and rollers, too. I figured that way, after I was done modding my actual guitar, I’d still have the old stock pickguard with all the knobs and electronics left over. Then maybe I could sell that as a complete “loaded” pickguard and recover some of the money I spent on the pickups.

Then I found a great deal on a Fender neck*, so I got that, too. Also, I haven't done it yet, but I’m kind of planning on getting a "real Fender" tremolo, with the locking button.

I think you see what I mean about the Jazzmaster of Theseus. At this point, I'm so close to "replacing" (in theory, I haven't actually started the mod) so many parts on my guitar that there'll be nothing left of the original when I'm done. I'm just a body and a set of tuners away from having the parts to build an entire second guitar. (Also, as most of you will have noticed, with all the money I’ve spent on upgrades, I could have just bought the damned Vintera in the first place. Don't remind me.)

So, should I keep the Squier stock and try to build my dream guitar as a Partsmaster out of all the (fairly high-end) parts I now have? Or is there more to building a guitar than just bolting stuff together, and I’ll have better results upgrading the Squier? Or, finally, should I put all the "good" parts on the Squier and build a rough-and-ready, smash-it-if-you-need-to guitar out of what's left over?

*Which might be counterfeit; that's another thread!
I've done exactly that. I modded a J Mascis Jazzmaster into a 12 string, used the spares to build another partsmaster, then modded that so I had enough parts for another. I then put the J Mascis back together (well, the neck, body and vibrato, at least...) and built the 3rd as a 12 string

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:36 am

Replacing pretty much everything is the norm on here. I've got a few guitars with parts from 3+ guitars. Hell. My most recent project was a affinity jazzmaster which has tuners from my friend's old jagmaster, the neck from a tom delonge strat, a wide range clone I pulled out of my friend's jazzblaster, a wide range clone from another friend's Tele build, the bridge from a bullet Mustang and a new pickguard. At this point, all that's original is the body..... Even then it was refin'd
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bubba899 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 am

It's almost like making sourdough. Each guitar begets another.

I think the thing that often get's overlooked in this equation is how much you can learn about guitar and guitar maintenance from pulling stuff apart and putting it back together. Also how satisfying it can be once you get the end result.

kdanie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kdanie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am

There is no choice... buy a body & build a guitar. 2 is ALWAYS better than 1!

ken
Life is an adventure, not something to be suffered through. Don't like your life? FIX it!

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 am

I have a 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster that has every single part replaced aside from the pots, body, and neck (although I DID have the headstock repainted and a new decal put on...)

fenderjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fenderjeff » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:17 pm

I know that...

I first bought a CIJ, which is still great, and I began to think about what could be my perfect JM and worked with a luthier (and friend).

His shop burned... :-[

While waiting for his new workshop, and a new beginning for my guitar, I began to but/sell/exchange parts and ended with a proper and very roots partsmaster.

And my friend finally finished my guitar, so I've got 3 JM, and not enough time to play :fp:

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:32 am

This is the way.

I don't own a single guitar that's stock. I've not gone to this extent yet but I too bought a Squier JM this year and will likely only keep the body and switch the rest out eventually.