Simple Mod for Vintera JM Truss Rod Access

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Joey Ace
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Simple Mod for Vintera JM Truss Rod Access

Post by Joey Ace » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:21 am

Here's a mod I did to my JM to allow the neck relief to be adjusted without removing the neck.

With the neck and pick guard removed, mark the area needed for truss rod access:

Cut out that block

File an access port in the pick guard ( I used a Dremel tool), reassemble, done:

Not the Stew-Mac Truss Rod tool in the upper right. Works perfect.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Simple Mod for Vintera JM Truss Rod Access

Post by timtam » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:15 pm

Very good tip. As on some vintage Fenders (esp teles). There is no need to remove the neck to adjust a heel truss rod nut if you do that. I cut the body channel with a big round file, just deep enough to provide clear access to the nut. Likewise the pickguard opening can be tailored to the necessary size (also with a round file), which will depend on just how deep the nut is below the surface on your particular guitar. And the Stewmac wrench is indeed the ideal tool (and not exorbitantly priced).
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... -tele.html
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Joey Ace
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Simple Mod for Vintera JM Truss Rod Access

Post by Joey Ace » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:51 am

I have a 52 RI MIA Tele, (new in 1998) that requires no modification to access the truss rod . It just needs the pick guard removed to gain access.
Strings can remain up to pitch,