Less "thin" sound from Jaguar strangle switch? Any Ideas?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Less "thin" sound from Jaguar strangle switch? Any Ideas?

Post by ohm-men » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:29 am

I'm enjoying my Squier CV Jag quiet a lot lately.
I put a Duncan Designed neck pu in the bridge position and kept the Fender designed neck pu in the neck position.
Although they are not reversed polarity, I noticed that the Duncan Designed and Fender Designed pick ups are reverse wound when compared to eachother. (which saves you the hassle of having to reverse the wires and the ground of the claw on one of the pick ups, when you mix them)
I also swapped out the pots for 250K pots. Neck is nice and somewhat darker then before and the bridge sounds more to my liking. (but still less dark then the rythem circuit)

Anyway, I did notice that the "thin/Strangle" switch became more thin then before. (I guess this has to do with the smaller range of the 250K pots vs. the 1meg pots) So, any idea what cap would be more suitable to get a less "thin" sound from it?

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Less "thin" sound from Jaguar strangle switch? Any Ideas?

Post by threewordname » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:33 am

I also have this question

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 am

check out this filter calculator http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm your pot value is the resistor, I am unsure if you use 250k or 125k because the tone pot but in either case, If you started with a 0.003uF(302) it seems you want a 0.01uF(103) cap to get you back to nearly the same filter frequency you had when you started

Tele295
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tele295 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 pm

It might be fun to turn the strangle switch into a series/parallel switch, but that would only fatten up the middle sound
Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads - all aloha, all the time

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:27 pm

Tele295 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 pm
It might be fun to turn the strangle switch into a series/parallel switch, but that would only fatten up the middle sound
The single greatest mod for any non-vintage Jaguar is the "all off" series mod. You don't need to buy a single part, and you don't need to sacrifice the strangle switch. The pickups are in series when you put both pickup switches down (previously "off"). You can still get a killswitch effect by using the rhythm circuit with the volume rolled down, so you don't even lose that.

I do this to every modern Jaguar I own unless they have a toggle or blade switch, or vintage switches (which aren't DPDT and I also wouldn't want to mess with). You just have to isolate the bridge claw from pickup ground (desolder it and run a separate wire from claw to ground).

Harmoncj is correct that dropping the value of the cap drops the cutoff frequency, which is what you'd want to do if you find the cut too aggressive.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.