repo bodies JAG & JM

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Blobcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

repo bodies JAG & JM

Post by Blobcaster » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:59 pm

who knows what they used for their templates,Warmoth,USACG,Allparts?wich is going to be closest to vintage spec?

evoluzione

Re: repo bodies JAG & JM

Post by evoluzione » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:37 am

I have used an Allparts Jazzmaster body, it required a lot of modification to get it to work. The bridge pickup cavity was not far enough back, if you fitted a US pickguard you could see approx. 5mm of wood on the back edge of the cover...impossible to fit pickup. None of the internal routes were the right shape or depth to fit the brass screening plates, most noticable on the rhythm circuit, this needed an additional 1.5mm to allow the mini pots to sit down.

Also the body shape wasn't quite right, I reshaped the top horn (where the front strap button is placed).

Overall..............a big pile of poo.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:50 am

I have used an Allparts Jazzmaster body, it required a lot of modification to get it to work. The bridge pickup cavity was not far enough back, if you fitted a US pickguard you could see approx. 5mm of wood on the back edge of the cover...impossible to fit pickup. None of the internal routes were the right shape or depth to fit the brass screening plates, most noticable on the rhythm circuit, this needed an additional 1.5mm to allow the mini pots to sit down.
I go over this in detail in my nomaster thread, with pictures. I used a dremel to modify the bridge pickup cavity and rhythm cavity. Also, I made my own brass shielding, excpet for the main cavity battub. These discrepancies were a bit disappointing, but I didn't find any of them very difficult to overcome.

I like the body overall, mine is ash. I didn't find the shape to be significantly lacking... and the AVRI brass bathtub for the main cavity fit in there very well. IMO, it's not a big pile of poo... but do be prepared to do a little work to it.

Lots of pics here:

index.php?topic=461.0
Q. Are we not men?

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:30 am

blobcaster wrote: who knows what they used for their templates,Warmoth,USACG,Allparts?wich is going to be closest to vintage spec?
check back in a month or two and I'll have both.

evoluzione

Post by evoluzione » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:03 am

fullerplast wrote:
I go over this in detail in my nomaster thread, with pictures. I used a dremel to modify the bridge pickup cavity and rhythm cavity. Also, I made my own brass shielding, excpet for the main cavity battub. These discrepancies were a bit disappointing, but I didn't find any of them very difficult to overcome.

I like the body overall, mine is ash. I didn't find the shape to be significantly lacking... and the AVRI brass bathtub for the main cavity fit in there very well. IMO, it's not a big pile of poo... but do be prepared to do a little work to it.

Lots of pics here:

index.php?topic=461.0

I am just amazed that the bridge pickup cavity is NOWHERE in the right place.......comical. Even more comical is the fact that I didn't think to check the internal routings were correct (why would I need to check..??? I was told it was based on a vintage pre-CBS guitar). I found all the problems once I had painted the guitar.

These are basics, if I were to design car parts without checking they fitted / were fit for purpose I would of been out of business a long time ago.
I informed Allparts, they were not interested.

Comedy quality from a comedy company.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:10 am

I informed Allparts, they were not interested.
I was wondering if anyone attempted to let them know... and curious what their response might be.

Now I know...

:o
Q. Are we not men?

Blobcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blobcaster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:55 pm

yeah fullerplast all that stuff you had to do turned me off to the Allparts body.i just want to paint the thing and slap it together.thinking USACG,anybody know if they'll do the right pickup routing for the Jag & Bass VI,all i've seen are strat routes?looking to get an 1 ash & 1 alder Jazz 1 alder Jag & 1 alder BassVI.probably going to get the pickguards there too,so i don't have to deal with that headache  :-\.

Blobcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blobcaster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Aug wrote:
blobcaster wrote: who knows what they used for their templates,Warmoth,USACG,Allparts?wich is going to be closest to vintage spec?
both,wich ones,Warmoth,USACG?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:05 pm

I have a USACG Jazzmaster that I bought from an FDPer (and now offset forumite). When putting a USA RI pickguard down on it, the pickup routs weren't right and I believe that something was a bit off with the tremolo rout as well. He sent them back to Tommy at USACG and they corrected the problems nice and cleanly, but since he had it sent directly from USACG to be refinished (well, finished - it was raw wood at that point) by the time he got it, spotted the mistakes, and had it sent back, the places where the corrected routs were made were visible since they weren't black. But it all gets covered up by the pickguard.

If you're looking at USACG, you might want to mention this issue to Tommy and ask if they've figured something out. Otherwise you could send them the pickguard that you're going to use and maybe they could line it up with that.

It seems like nobody gets it dead-on but I know that of all of those companies that you mentioned, USACG is probably the only one that will work with you. Warmoth seems to be content to say that theirs are a bit different (at least they say it!), and AllParts import them so I doubt there's really any chance that you could get "tweak" scale changes made.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:50 pm

blobcaster wrote:
Aug wrote:
neither...vintage Fender.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:20 pm

I used USACG for my three pickup Jag project.  Totally different pickguard/pickups, so the only thing I can comment on is the trem rout.  It's OK but the corners aren't square enough - like their router bit is not small enough.  Easy enough to fix with a little filing.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

eyesadrift
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eyesadrift » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:11 pm

hey does any one have pics of a USACG Jazzmaster
body?

Blobcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blobcaster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:33 pm

Aug wrote:
blobcaster wrote:
Aug wrote: check back in a month or two and I'll have both.
neither...vintage Fender.
??? so you already have some repo bodies,or are you going to be making me some bodies off your vintage JM ;)?

Blobcaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Blobcaster » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:36 pm

jetset wrote: I used USACG for my three pickup Jag project.  Totally different pickguard/pickups, so the only thing I can comment on is the trem rout.  It's OK but the corners aren't square enough - like their router bit is not small enough.  Easy enough to fix with a little filing.
-J

yeah that's  8),gots me thinking about doing one with three Jag pups,a Jag VI :o.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:02 am

If you're going for a Warmoth body, there's one on sale now in their showcase for $149:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guit ... ype=guitar

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."