Offset mashup (Reverend + Novo, with a dash of Ibanez)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
percnon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Offset mashup (Reverend + Novo, with a dash of Ibanez)

Post by percnon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 am

It'll be a while before I have the time or resources to put this together. However, I've had an idea for a guitar project bouncing around my head for a while and decided to visualise it.

It's based on my Reverend Charger but with some significant modifications.

I really like the shape and size of this guitar but prefer an extended upper horn over the Tele-esque, more compact thing. For balance and also for aesthetics.

I started by comparing several of my favourite other guitar body shapes (everything is done in the freeware Inkscape).

There's a lot going on here but here's the colour key:

Black: Jazzmaster
Pink: Novo Serus J
Light blue: Supro 1296
Dark blue: Mustang
Red: Novo Solus
Green: Charger

These may not be completely accurate. I got these lines just from tracing around images. I matched the sizes by comparing fret and bridge distances. However, precise accuracy was less important than getting the shape.

After the better part of a day's fiddling and tweaking, I ended up with this:

It's basically the Charger body with a slimmed version of the Serus upper horn and a modified version of the Solus lower. The pickguard combines the Solus and Charger shapes with the control plate from an Ibanez Talman. Headstock is like the Charger but with a much smaller nose.

Not sure if I'll use the Stetsbar vibrato mechanism. All the hardware is speculative. As I said, this won't become real any time soon. But the concept works, which is what I wanted to share.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Offset mashup (Reverend + Novo, with a dash of Ibanez)

Post by CorporateDisguise » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:04 am

Cool project. I like the headstock.

I had a Stetsbar on my Firebird for a while. It’s an interesting unit. It feels very much like a strat/floyd trem to me. Very touchy and a little to extreme for me. But if that is your thing, it did its job well, and was very stable in regards to tuning. It also changed the overall tone and resonance of the guitar. I think probably because the bridge is no longer mounted directly to the body. I ultimately ended up replacing it with a B5 and a roller bridge, which is more my speed.

percnon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by percnon » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:34 am

Thanks for the advice re the Stetsbar. I have an old Squier Tele that I've hacked to pieces over the years to try out different things. Will probably install on that and see if I like it. 95% of my vibrato use is just for a bit of wobble though, so this might ultimately be a better option:

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 am

I definitely like it better with the Bigsby. If I’m being honest however, the design with that headstock and the upper horn looks very much like an amalgamation of those other guitars. If that’s what you’re going for than great! But if you are after a design that is strictly yours, I think this misses the mark with those very obvious nods to its influences. YMMV and that’s just one idiot’s opinion on the Internet. :unsure:

percnon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by percnon » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 am
I definitely like it better with the Bigsby. If I’m being honest however, the design with that headstock and the upper horn looks very much like an amalgamation of those other guitars. If that’s what you’re going for than great! But if you are after a design that is strictly yours, I think this misses the mark with those very obvious nods to its influences. YMMV and that’s just one idiot’s opinion on the Internet. :unsure:
Oh, if I had the creative skills to invent something from scratch I would! It's becoming its own thing little by little though.

zwats
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zwats » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:05 am

Cool concept. Did you ever get to build it?
I am getting ready to do something along the lines of a Novo Solus myself. Do you happen to still have the file with the outline you used for the Solus? If so, would you be willing to share it with me? I'd appreciate the head start.