Novak Bridge pickups: JM-V vs JM-FAT

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
El Reclusa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Novak Bridge pickups: JM-V vs JM-FAT

Post by El Reclusa » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:22 pm

I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but what I'd ideally like is feedback from anyone who has direct experience with both.

I have a JM-V set in my MJT/Musikraft build. It's become my go-to guitar. I love it. I love the pickups. That said, I wonder if the JM-FAT bridge might give me the just a little "extra" I find myself sometimes wanting.

Anybody swapped a V for a FAT? How would you compare the two?

I have a feeling I'd love the FAT, but I love the V already- I sometimes just wish it had a very little bit more "oomph". Not a ton, just a little bit more of everything. I have the height set pretty much ideally as it is. The neck pickup is, in my mind, perfect. The bridge is...really, really close to perfect. I don't want, fine though they may be, a JM90 or anything- I'm looking for an ideal Jazzmaster bridge pickup. I really want the V with just a bit more of Curtis' magic crammed in. Normally I'd just pull the trigger and be done with it, but I really do love the V so much that I'm a bit reticent to change it, buuuut...I'm going to order a set of Jag pickups for a sorta-Duosonicish XII build I'm finally getting around to, so if I'm gonna get a FAT, might as well make one order instead of two...

MapachoPunk
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Novak Bridge pickups: JM-V vs JM-FAT

Post by MapachoPunk » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:07 pm

El Reclusa wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:22 pm
I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but what I'd ideally like is feedback from anyone who has direct experience with both.

I have a JM-V set in my MJT/Musikraft build. It's become my go-to guitar. I love it. I love the pickups. That said, I wonder if the JM-FAT bridge might give me the just a little "extra" I find myself sometimes wanting.

Anybody swapped a V for a FAT? How would you compare the two?

I have a feeling I'd love the FAT, but I love the V already- I sometimes just wish it had a very little bit more "oomph". Not a ton, just a little bit more of everything. I have the height set pretty much ideally as it is. The neck pickup is, in my mind, perfect. The bridge is...really, really close to perfect. I don't want, fine though they may be, a JM90 or anything- I'm looking for an ideal Jazzmaster bridge pickup. I really want the V with just a bit more of Curtis' magic crammed in. Normally I'd just pull the trigger and be done with it, but I really do love the V so much that I'm a bit reticent to change it, buuuut...I'm going to order a set of Jag pickups for a sorta-Duosonicish XII build I'm finally getting around to, so if I'm gonna get a FAT, might as well make one order instead of two...
I realize this post is a bit old now... am curious about what you decided. I'm trying to decide on whether to get two JM-Vs like you had or get the JM-V for the neck and JM-fat for the bridge. I mostly play clean. Thanks!