MIM Player refinish

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MIM Player refinish

Post by bubba899 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:23 am

Such a great finish. Need to get in to using a spray gun as I've never gotten close to that kind of finsh with cans.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:27 am

Nudger wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:17 pm
Inspring thread my jagsquire ;)
Feeling more confident about trying a candy finish now, Handy tip about the bass coat spraying distance.
Had good results with north west guitars nitro before, Quality stuff.
Yes I like NWG nitro; it hardens really quickly so you can buff it only a few days after spraying. Some people wait months before buffing, but the neck I did last year was buffed less than a week after spraying and didn't 'sink' and still looks great today.
jdr1014 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:04 pm
Congratulations on a really superb job refinishing that guitar. Looks stellar!

Be proud of your work and enjoy that beauty!! :)
Thank you. :)
bubba899 wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:23 am
Such a great finish. Need to get in to using a spray gun as I've never gotten close to that kind of finsh with cans.
I think the transparent red would be the hard part to do with cans. Getting the base gold or silver would be more of a matter of dusting the coat on by holding it further back. You'd waste more paint, but it would work. I think if I did another one I would mix regular clear coat with the transparent red to make it 'weaker' and less likely to turn out patchy. There is a bit (hidden by the pickguard/plates) where it looks a bit darker/slightly un-even), so it doesn't show, but it wouldn't be possible to do that using cans.

I'm taking it out to play at rehearsals tonight; I'll just take great care as I'll have to use the gig bag that it slipped out of before I stripped it down. :whistle:

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 pm

By some fluke it turns out my Jaguar matches our drummer's kit. ;D Well close enough anyway. Should have taken a photo, but too busy just enjoying playing...it sounded great through my new Marshall SV20c as well; the mid boost and rolling back the tone a bit takes the edge off and the neck pickup sounds fantastic for more rounded tones. 8)

Happy days as they say. :)