Fender Jaguar / Maverick mashup wiring help!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
hoipolloimusic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender Jaguar / Maverick mashup wiring help!

Post by hoipolloimusic » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 am

Hi everyone! I'm putting together my first ever build and am posting to ask for help working out how to do the wiring (fair warning I am totally a novice at electronics). Basically I'm hoping to do a crossover between a Fender Maverick Custom and a Johnny Marr Jaguar - featuring Curtis Novak XII pickups in a shell pink warmoth Jag body (which I ordered this week!) I've widdled my wiring concepts down to the following options:

1. a 4-way rotary switch for pickup selection (Neck, Neck/Bridge Series, Neck/Bridge Parallel, Bridge) and a "Bright Switch" circuit in the upper control route (a la Johnny Marr's design)
2. a 3-way rotary switch (neck, neck/bridge, bridge) and 2 switches in the upper control route for parallel/series switching and a strangle switch respectively.
3. a 4-way rotary switch (neck, neck/bridge, bridge, bridge with strange switch) and 2 switches in the upper control route for switching the phasing of each pickup

Just wondering what y'all think would be the best route to take, and whether anyone could offer some help mapping out the wiring. I've included a rough mock up here: https://imgur.com/qXUjvFQ

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender Jaguar / Maverick mashup wiring help!

Post by timtam » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Option 1 would probably be easiest, since it's your first build. Wire it like the Marr. Circuit is a known quantity. Swap 2P4T rotary in place of Marr's 4-way blade 2P4T. Easy to omit one (series) bright switch from the Marr circuit (easiest to see how in top Marr schematic below). You can use an Am Pro jag's top plate for single bright (strangle) switch (or you could instead make it a phase switch like Custom/Maverick, and Am Pro jag). Maybe 500k pots. Check that cavity is wide and deep enough for your rotary switch. Make sure you have a multimeter so you can test to see how rotary switch contacts work in each position, plus any troubleshooting.

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

hoipolloimusic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hoipolloimusic » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:34 pm

Ok parts have been ordered! I went with option 2 and have ordered all the pickups/pots/switches as well as custom brushed steel hardware from HERAD in Adelaide. Going to assemble everything on a shell pink Warmoth body with a vintera 60s Jaguar neck which I think will look great!

Any tips on where to get custom/blank Jaguar pickguards?

hoipolloimusic
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by hoipolloimusic » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:10 am

Hi again - so I've got a first draft of the wiring scheme. Plan is to run the XII pickups through a 4 way rotary switch, then a strangle switch and an alternate tone pot to allow for a Jazzmaster/Jaguar style rhythm circuit but with only the single master volume control.

Here's the diagram I have come up with:

If you could let me know if this will work / what changes might need to be made that would be super appreciated.