Would this wiring work?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Would this wiring work?

Post by MC5tooge » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:06 am

For the Jazzmaster/Lipstick/Strat hybrid project I am working on...

Jaguar style pickup selectors - one for each pickup on-off
"Tone circuit" for volume, tone control of lipstick pickup - switch to control mono/stereo jack
Individual volume for each JM pickup
Master tone.

I realise the ground to lipstick is wrong so no need to point that out.

https://www.strat-talk.com/attachments/ ... pg.484964/

Alternative selections welcomed.

Also anyone have any experience of Stetsbar trem?

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Would this wiring work?

Post by bodhi » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:15 pm

Link doesn't work unless you're signed in...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:20 pm

Oh thanks Bodhi. Good to know.
New link that should work.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:35 am

Let's see, is the jack supposed to be a stereo jack or two separate mono jacks? If it's a stereo jack that variation won't work in practice, since the ring-connection is in practice a ground if you don't have a stereo plug in place...

For the rest, you probably want to put the volume controls between the pickups and the switches, as that's a better isolation when they're out of the circuit, but can't quickly see any real issues.

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 pm

Looks like a cool set up. Are you running to two amps?
Without music, life would be a mistake.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:54 am

Yes. Mostly a 1979 JC120 and a 1964 AC30-6. But it's also for use with line recording. Idea is to have two different guitars playing the same part, essentially.
Last edited by MC5tooge on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 am

bodhi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:35 am
Let's see, is the jack supposed to be a stereo jack or two separate mono jacks? If it's a stereo jack that variation won't work in practice, since the ring-connection is in practice a ground if you don't have a stereo plug in place...

For the rest, you probably want to put the volume controls between the pickups and the switches, as that's a better isolation when they're out of the circuit, but can't quickly see any real issues.
Thanks Bodhi.

Re. Stereo jack. This seemed to be how it was done on the piezo setups I looked at. What would the workaround be then? Other than a mono f-stereo m adapter plug or a dedicated cable? I had wondered if this might be an issue and is one of the reasons I posted this.
Top tone out has to go into middle switch pin instead, right? NB Left channel is intended to be mono in. Should be the other way round I guess.

Re pickup-controls-switches-out - OK good to know. (But isn't my setup what the originals have?) That's an easy rework though. Just thought minimising wire lengths would be good - but had actually considered this. Thought difference would be minimal.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 am

MC5tooge wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 am
bodhi wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:35 am

[...]

Top tone out has to go into middle switch pin instead, right? NB Left channel is intended to be mono in. Should be the other way round I guess.
Oh. Well in that case it should be fine. With the orignal wiring you were basically connecting a ground to the rest of the wiring when using mono jacks...
MC5tooge wrote:

Re. Stereo jack. This seemed to be how it was done on the piezo setups I looked at. What would the workaround be then? Other than a mono f-stereo m adapter plug or a dedicated cable? I had wondered if this might be an issue and is one of the reasons I posted this.
With the adjusted wiring it should be fine, but otherwise you'd need separate output jacks, or a stereo jack to not connect that ground mentioned above with the toggle in the other position.
MC5tooge wrote:

Re pickup-controls-switches-out - OK good to know. (But isn't my setup what the originals have?) That's an easy rework though. Just thought minimising wire lengths would be good - but had actually considered this. Thought difference would be minimal.
Might not make a difference in practice, no. An original Jag/JM is master volume/tone, and the original strats have separate tone pots... :)

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:26 am

Thanks again Bodhi. Still waiting for the pickups and neck to arrive before I can test it all. But the project is progressing at least.
Body now routed for the Jaguar switching, Stetsbar trem arrived, 1 meg and 100k pots are here.

May use the Jaguar 3-switch panel with a parallel/series mod for the Jazzmaster pickups. Anything I should be aware of with an RWRP in the middle on a different circuit? No point doing the series/parallel wiring if it's going to produce horrendous feedback in some pickup combinations.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:13 am

MC5tooge wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:26 am
Thanks again Bodhi. Still waiting for the pickups and neck to arrive before I can test it all. But the project is progressing at least.
Body now routed for the Jaguar switching, Stetsbar trem arrived, 1 meg and 100k pots are here.

May use the Jaguar 3-switch panel with a parallel/series mod for the Jazzmaster pickups. Anything I should be aware of with an RWRP in the middle on a different circuit? No point doing the series/parallel wiring if it's going to produce horrendous feedback in some pickup combinations.
Not really, any combination with a single coil that is rwrp in relation to it is going to be hum canceling, but otherwise they'll work as normal pickups if they happen to have the same polarity. No matter the pickup, you likely want to wire pickups in phase by default, but that's just switching a wire or two if it's not right the first time.

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:11 am

As I'm new to offsets - should the foam under the pickups only touch the plastic part or should it also cover the poles?