JM pickup covers

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

JM pickup covers

Post by Gavanti » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:19 am

Anyone have a source for JM pickup covers drilled for humbucker poles or 3x3 staggered poles? I know about the Shepherd & Crow ones, but I’m looking for something in parchment/aged white. Alternatively, tips on setting up a good template for drilling blank covers are welcome. I’ve got a set of El Rayos under JM covers now but would like to free up the pole pieces/maybe try out some Stagger Swaggers.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JM pickup covers

Post by Gavanti » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:47 pm

I did some more research on the DIY route. It looks like I should get regular and 3x3 humbucker pickup covers as templates (paying attention to pole spacing) and then use self-centering or brad point bits to punch the holes in the blank JM covers. Other advice welcome.

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JM pickup covers

Post by epizootics » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:36 pm

How perfect do you want it to be?
I'd measure the pickup & the inside of the blank cover with calipers, input those numbers into a CAD software and print out a 1:1 scale drilling template, glue that onto a thin piece of lexan cut to the dimensions of the inside of the covers, then drill the three holes on each side with a drill press and a fence so that each row of holes is perfectly aligned.

Alternatively, you can email Lollar and ask for exact dimensions, then have a drilling template laser-cut to those dimensions (once again measuring the inside of the JM cover so that the template slides in there with no sideways movement). It might work out at about the same price as buying humbucker covers, and the result will be perfect. I can help you with the CAD side of things if you want. :)