Pickup suggestions? Looking for something unconventional and hopefully cheap

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickup suggestions? Looking for something unconventional and hopefully cheap

Post by LVC » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:39 pm

I'm thinking of replacing the pickups in my new Paranormal Super-Sonic. I don't dislike the Atomic HBs, but I already have another guitar with similarly hot pickups for high gain, which I don't play a huge lot of anyway. In fact, my sonic palette is already quite rich; here's a list of the pickups I currently have in my guitars, or have tried, or am planning to put in future projects:

Jazzmaster pickups :-*
Jaguar pickups
Tele bridge pickup
Filtertron
GFS Surf 90
GFS Dream 90 (sort of Strat/P90 hybrids)
GFS gold foils
P90s
Mellow, underwound vintage-style alnico PAFs :-*
Hot overwound humbuckers
Aria 1802/1803t pickups :-*
Firebird pickups :-*
Tri-Sonics :-*
Strat pickups (alnico, vintage wound)
Lipsticks :-*
WRHBs :-*

( :-* denotes my favorite kinds.)

I'd like to try something different, and hopefully on the affordable side of the price range as everyday expenses have been making a significant dent in my guitar budget lately. Form factor is not really a problem, as I can route the body and am planning to cut a new pickguard anyway. Any suggestions?
Create art, not content

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup suggestions? Looking for something unconventional and hopefully cheap

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:24 pm

I love Fralin Big Singles, and I think you would like them too based on your favorites, but they cost as much as the guitar. ;D Really great pickups though. Long term I want to find an offset to put some in.

Bigsby style pickups are also sweet, but talk about spendy....

Maybe some funky old Kay pickups - pancake, speed bump, Kleenex box, etc... but based on a quick check of current prices those are getting up there too.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pickup suggestions? Looking for something unconventional and hopefully cheap

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:33 pm

If you dig PAF style things, I really like the Dimarzio Air Classic and PAF Master sets.

The Air Classics, which I've tried on a HH Tele a buddy put together and on a LP clone, make everything sounds the way a really nice 335 or 339 *should* sound. Big but not fat or tubby, just a ton of frequency response both on the bass and treble, and a present but not pushed or super potent midrange. Very open, a bit compressed (but in a nice Tele-into-optical-comp kinda way, very light), and with a good combination of kick and dynamics to cover most levels of gain.

The PAF Masters are a bit more traditional, with very big muscular mids (my go-to comparison is a Supro or Ampeg vs. a tweed Fender -- they all have plenty of mids, but the first two have this big broad Q that makes a single guitar part sound huge in a mix). Compared to the AC set, the AC would be the rhythm guitar and these would be lead. Absolutely killer with gain, and this nice kinda retro-swampy boxy clean tone that's a bit ratty on its own but sits really nicely in a mix.

I'd personally do a PAF Master bridge and an Air Classic neck, because that's what I want out of each position (AC neck is also brighter, which I prefer).

For something that's probably a bit out there for this forum, I really like the PAF Pro and FRED (similar output, so you can stick them in whatever position or double up, but the FRED is noticeably brighter and more harmonicky). Not super hot, similar outputs to the AC and PAF Master, but a much higher resonant peak, less low end, brighter overall, and they take up way less room in a mix if that's a concern.

All of these are around the $100 brand new, and I've seen them used for like $50 in great condition, but especially if you want bright colors or covers it's worth getting them direct from Dimarzio at retail price, because if you don't dig them they'll swap them out for anything on the catalog within 30 days.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:01 pm

Wilde L500s would give you something new and interesting. L500C (neck) and L500L (bridge) for medium output and tons of clarity, L500R/L500XL for fire-breathing output with surprising treble and clarity.

A great choice if you're looking to add to the diversity of tone in your lineup. The L500XL is probably the highest output passive humbucker ever made in terms of actual voltage, but has more treble clarity and less overblown midrange than a Duncan JB. Split and parallel tones are great as well, or you can wire up a Wilde Q-filter on the tone knob which gives a similar tone effect as a dial-a-tap but while remaining humbucking the whole time.

The whole Wilde lineup is full of interesting options if you're looking for versatile and clear pickups that don't necessarily sound like them stepped out of the 60s.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:58 pm

Dimarzio Eric Johnson set - least humbucker sounding humbuckers from all the Dimarzio & Duncans I tried... reasonably priced as well :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:42 pm

For something totally new, how about Lace Alumitones?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:06 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:42 pm
For something totally new, how about Lace Alumitones?
Just an FYI if you're going with these -- you know how Jazzmaster pickups can sound kinda shrill and brittle with 1M pots if that's not the sound you're going for? These are already bordering on that with 250K pots (the Deathbucker, despite the name, is actually way better than this because it's a bit burlier and darker) so be real mindful of your pot values.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:41 pm

i'm suspect, given that list, that anything will actually be especially different from what you have...

but, q-tuners would be pretty out there. i've wanted to try these for years, despite them being marketed towards prog-rock and metal players– i get the impression that they would have a really amazing clean sound.

something kind-of along the same lines that i'm also super curious about: https://www.cycfi.com/shop/. i think wiring them would be a bit more involved than a typical pickup ... but who doesn't love a challenge?

something i've actually tried, and am a big fan of: https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/ai ... il-pickups
i had one of these in the bridge position of a les paul i use to own. they're meant to sound like the faux-humbuckers that came in valco (supro, airline, national, etc.) guitars; compared to the real thing, they're much too clean and smooth, but they're great as their own thing... but again, is it actually that different in practice to a goldfoil pickup? probably not.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:43 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:41 pm
i'm suspect, given that list, that anything will actually be especially different from what you have...
Ha, that got me thinking.

A piezo bridge and/or hex pickup plus guitar synth would certainly yield a truly different tone from anything on that list.

Just...not necessarily in a way LVC desires.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Lots of food for thought.
marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:24 pm
Fralin Big Singles
I've read lots of praise for them on OSG and have watched a few demos on Youtube in which they sound quite interesting. But yeah, at $330 a set, plus shipping to Europe, plus about 25% of all that in VAT and import duties, they're not really an option... for now.

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:33 pm
Dimarzio Air Classic and PAF Master
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:01 pm
Wilde L500s
NICQ wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:58 pm
Dimarzio Eric Johnson
You might have guessed from the list I posted I'm not a huge humbucker fan... But I didn't want to discourage any suggestions. I have single coils in most of my guitars, so an interesting humbucker might be the perfect candidate to expand my sonic options. A humbucker that doesn't sound like a typical humbucker could be right up my alley. Time to do my homework and go find what all of these sound like.

Maggieo wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:42 pm
Lace Alumitones
They're the pickup type that immediately came to mind when I started thinking about what I hadn't tried yet. I've been curious about them for a long time, I've watched countless demos and still can't decide whether I like them or not. Maybe it's time to take the plunge and find out?

noisepunk wrote:
q-tuners
The demos on their website are really off-putting. But I've found some on Youtube that actually weren't played on a bajillion-stringed fanned-fretted monstrosity, or through three metal distortion pedals in series with the gain cranked, and I see what you mean about clean tones. They seem to sound quite shrill with gain though.

noisepunk wrote:
https://www.cycfi.com/shop/
A hexaphonic pickup with a preamp for each string, aimed at multichannel processing... The possibilities seem endless, but yes, a little too involved for me I'm afraid.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about these! My Eastwood/Airline is the cheaper version with (very bland) humbuckers, and I've been curious about the single coils. Another interesting option ― thanks for sharing your impressions about them, reviews are not easy to find.

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:43 pm
piezo bridge and/or hex pickup plus guitar synth
Hah! Forgot to mention it, but I actually have a piezo bridge on one of my guitars (Italia Mondial classic, it came stock on it). I have to admit I don't use it every day, but it's a nice option to have.
As for a hex pickup & synth, well, I'm actually quite interested in them as someone who took some 25 years to achieve mediocre guitar playing skills, and who would love to be able to incorporate other instruments in my music without spending another 25 years learning how to play each new one. But MIDI guitar is a bit too deep of a rabbit hole for me at the moment...

noisepunk wrote:
Maybe that's a telltale sign that I've got too many guitars? (I mean, one more telltale sign :bored: )

If you have other suggestions keep 'em coming! Oh, and something I was thinking about: has anybody tried bass pickups in a guitar, other than the legendary Thunderbirds? Something like a rail J-bass pickup for instance?
Create art, not content

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:12 am

I like the Guild smaller 60s style humbuckers. The reissue Dynasonics are fun.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:49 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:43 pm
Ha, that got me thinking.

A piezo bridge and/or hex pickup plus guitar synth would certainly yield a truly different tone from anything on that list.

Just...not necessarily in a way LVC desires.
in the right hands, i'm sure that specific combo could be pretty interesting.
LVC wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:10 pm
noisepunk wrote:
q-tuners
The demos on their website are really off-putting. But I've found some on Youtube that actually weren't played on a bajillion-stringed fanned-fretted monstrosity, or through three metal distortion pedals in series with the gain cranked, and I see what you mean about clean tones. They seem to sound quite shrill with gain though.
oh yeah, they're meant to be hyper-articulate–i wonder if something like a 50k tone pot would mellow them out enough to sound "normal", but for me it would definitely be about the cleans. i imagine that in practice they'd be very similar to the famously difficult to work with pickups used in the Les Paul recording, which the man himself made great use of in the latter half of his career, but were otherwise pretty universally loathed.
LVC wrote:
Ah yes, I had forgotten about these! My Eastwood/Airline is the cheaper version with (very bland) humbuckers, and I've been curious about the single coils. Another interesting option ― thanks for sharing your impressions about them, reviews are not easy to find.
i would definitely buy another pickup/set if i had something to put it/them in, assuming they haven't changed the design in the last 12 years. i was given one of the actual humbuckers they use by mistake when i first ordered one (and still have it)– it was only marginally nicer sounding than the epiphone pickup i was replacing (and nothing like a single coil, which made it pretty apparent they'd gotten my order wrong :D ).

there's also a company called roadhouse pickups–i can't tell if they exist anymore (but see some sets on ebay), and i have no personal experience with them, but they make something which supposedly sounds like the real deal. Paul Rhoney use to use roadhouse for all (most of?) his guitars, and the supro ones went into a few different models.
LVC wrote:
noisepunk wrote:
Maybe that's a telltale sign that I've got too many guitars? (I mean, one more telltale sign :bored: )
i mean, most of us probably have at least one guitar more than we need, so at least it's a shared addiction :fp: