Wiring a behind the bridge pickup with its own volume

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
dexisded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Wiring a behind the bridge pickup with its own volume

Post by dexisded » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:38 pm

While trying to wire a behind the bridge pickup with its own 3 way selector switch, (BTB and normal guitar - BTB off and normal guitar on - Just BTB) behind a set of two pickups with their own mustang style selector switch, I could not wire each of them their own individual volume. I wonder if this is because two wires are coming off of the same output jack?

Is there someone here who could draw me a diagram of what i am trying to accomplish?

dexisded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Wiring a behind the bridge pickup with its own volume

Post by dexisded » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 pm

I do not need a diagram persay, some advice would be equally as appreciated. I have tried hard to do this and the frustration always leads me to just wire it straight to the jack which is not desireable.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:30 pm

there are two ways volume pots are wired in a guitar, one grounds out the whole circuit, the other basically just just grounds out the pickup... it's been a long time since i followed a diagram, or looked inside a stock guitar, but i believe fender does the former, so if you're following how the main volume knob in your guitar is wired that's maybe where you're running into a problem.

you basically want to swap the pickup wire and the wire going to the jack, so one outer lug is grounded, the other goes to the jack, and the center lug goes to the signal wire on your pickup.

if you want both volume knobs to work independently, you'll want to do this with the main pot too, otherwise it'll continue to act as a kind of master volume (assuming it's wired the way i'm guessing it is).

dexisded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dexisded » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:30 pm
there are two ways volume pots are wired in a guitar, one grounds out the whole circuit, the other basically just just grounds out the pickup... it's been a long time since i followed a diagram, or looked inside a stock guitar, but i believe fender does the former, so if you're following how the main volume knob in your guitar is wired that's maybe where you're running into a problem.

you basically want to swap the pickup wire and the wire going to the jack, so one outer lug is grounded, the other goes to the jack, and the center lug goes to the signal wire on your pickup.

if you want both volume knobs to work independently, you'll want to do this with the main pot too, otherwise it'll continue to act as a kind of master volume (assuming it's wired the way i'm guessing it is).
Thank you!!!! this is the answer i needed. I Owe ya;)

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:13 pm

dexisded wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:10 pm
Thank you!!!! this is the answer i needed. I Owe ya;)
no problem– hope it works out!

dexisded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dexisded » Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:26 pm

It most certainly did!