Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar & Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster Mods

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar & Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster Mods

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:56 am

Not my finest efforts but I'm still learning. I admit, some FUGLY abounds. My point, I guess, is to help other newbie modifiers to learn from my errors. :fp:

Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar Mods
  • Matching Daphne Blue Headstock (as close as I could get)
  • WD Mint Pickguard

Issues
  • Atexx replica '60s Fender Jaguar decal doesn't curve the word "Jaguar" like an original Fender Jaguar decal. Atexx does solid work normally and I really didn't pay attention to this detail until after I already applied it. D'oh! At some point, I'll try to find another '60s Jaguar replica decal that's more accurate if I ever decide to refin both headstock and body.

• WD Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar mint pickguard - The pickguard wasn't a perfect fit so I attempted to sand down the side below the upper bout control plate that was at issue and clearly I'm not as skilled at being very delicate with the table sander as I'd like. Hopefully, I'll continue to improve. I have a cream pickguard that I might just replace at some point. I just bought the WD pickguard, so I'm determined to live with it for as long as I can - besides, I like the classic daphne blue/mint look.
Still To Do

Awaiting Q '62-'63 Jaguar pickups from Croatia. Does not come with claws, so I hope I can use the stock Squier CV claws or find some that will fit. I'll likely try to hunt down some claws first before messing with the stock CV pickups. The stock CV pickups aren't bad at all, I just wanted to try these pickups from Q since I really love Q's foil Strat pickups that I put in my Squier Paranormal Cyclone.

Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster Mods
  • TV Jones T-90 pickups for Neck and Middle routs
  • Fender Custom Shop Texas Special bridge pickup
  • WD Cream Pickguard sheet for custom pickguard

Issues (the horror...the horror...) :'(
  • Hand router slipped when widening the middle pickup rout - gouged right up against the bridge plate
  • This was my 3rd and final attempt at making a custom pickguard. It's a lot harder to do than it looks...at least for me. This last effort was a huge improvement over the previous effort. I know I should keep at it, but I'm exhausted and my patience has waned.

I understand that patience is critical. I'm going to bring this and a new flat matte black pickguard material sheet to my guitar tech who has infinitely more years of experience and patience to fix it all.
Still To Do

Bring to my guitar tech to repair the gouging issue and make a better, accurate pickguard. I'm contemplating, once all repaired, refinishing the body in case the repaired gouged area doesn't look right (unless the new pickguard covers it).

Despite the trainwreck look, the T-90s & CS TS pickups sound great in the Offset Tele. I'm glad I swapped out the pickups.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar & Squier Paranormal Offset Telecaster Mods

Post by bodhi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:23 am

I've found that any machine tool work is all about having the correct jigs and templates, so if you make another go at the pickguards, try using double-sided tape and a few pieces of spare square wood to get an outline that's slightly smaller than the pickup itself, so you don't overshoot the manual routing. Then use hand tools to get to the final size. Learning is a process that can be a bit daunting.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:25 am

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! 8)

I ordered some new black pickguard material and I'm going to try to make another, better template to work from. I have plenty of material to not give up on the project and take it to my tech's shop.

I was pretty frustrated and bummed when I created the opening post. Feeling better now, definitely gonna give it another go. :)

Re: the Jag - I ended up tossing the messed up mint pickguard and put on a white Jag pickguard that aged to a cream color (by previous owner). Looks much better. I doubt I'll bother to redo the headstock decal but I have figured out what needs to be done to fix it. I have a backup decal and I can cut between the letters for the curving. Basically, JAG-U-AR where I angle the U, then the AR. Maybe one day, or not. I'm kind of happy I just figured it out, lol.

My Q '62-'63 Jaguar pickups arrived and I installed them with no problem. It was easy to remove the claws from the stock CV '70s Jag pickups and the Q pickups fit perfectly in the claws. Sounds awesome!

frank grimez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frank grimez » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:40 am

I’m planning on painting the headstock of my daphne blue cv jag too. Do you mind sharing which paint that you used on it? I think yours came out great.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:03 pm

frank grimez wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:40 am
I’m planning on painting the headstock of my daphne blue cv jag too. Do you mind sharing which paint that you used on it? I think yours came out great.
Thanks! I used Gracey's Vintage Finishes Daphne Blue (https://www.madisonsmusicstore.com/finishes.asp). It wasn't a perfect match but pretty close. :)

frank grimez
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frank grimez » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:03 pm
frank grimez wrote:
Thanks! I used Gracey's Vintage Finishes Daphne Blue (https://www.madisonsmusicstore.com/finishes.asp). It wasn't a perfect match but pretty close. :)
Thanks! Did you use their brand clear coat too?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:33 am

frank grimez wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:03 pm
frank grimez wrote:
Thanks! Did you use their brand clear coat too?
Yes - I strongly recommend using the same brand for finish and clear. Mixed brands don't always play nice. Good luck!