Jazzmaster Tremolo Routing: What's the difference?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
OregonMike
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster Tremolo Routing: What's the difference?

Post by OregonMike » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:01 pm

So, I've been curious about the difference between the tremolo cavity routing on different JM bodies. Can't seem to figure out how to add images here ( I just get Image) so I'll just say that one cavity is completely routed out. The other, the back half is step routed or is partially routed and the front area is routed completely (deeper). Is there a functional purpose?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster Tremolo Routing: What's the difference?

Post by jorri » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 am

Prob not. Stepped would remove less wood and yet more complicated to route, but the back doesnt need the depth of the front where spring is

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:31 pm

I can't tell exactly what you are referring to, but some come with a notch to the bridge side for the trem lock, and others don't have a trem lock. Most non-vintage vibrato routes are not chiselled out completely square on the back edge, and depending on where exactly the vibrato is mounted, this can cause issues with knocking. I like to do a "dog bone" route at the back of the cavity to save having to do the chisel work - the extra nubs are covered by the plate and don't interfere with the mounting screws of a Fender-shaped vibrato plate, but I do a different one to accommodate the Mastery OEM vibrato plate which achieves the same thing in a different way :)

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm

Are you talking about this? You normally see them on cheap import copies and such. :)

Christopher
Lilith Guitars