Color help?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Color help?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:43 pm

Hey y'all,

So I'm getting one of these soon:
https://precisionguitarkits.com/product ... -jr-custom

And I'm kinda stuck on finish choices. Pretty much every guitar I've ever actually stuck with long-term has been blue (so you could say I have a type), but I'm also pretty open to suggestions and I'm curious what y'all'd go for.

There's basically one catch: it's getting cold here in NY, so realistically I won't be spraying this outdoors, and my girl and I are pretty sensitive to smells so no chance I'm spraying this indoors. I'm thinking probably some kind of milk paint, and ideally something more translucent (IMO the look for a Giibson Junior is Heritage Cherry, but I'm not buying a Gibson and I don't think I really wanna go that way). Ebony fretboard with trapezoids, ebony headstock plate, nickel hardware (because that's pretty much the only color you can get a nice compensated wraparound in), and either black or mint plastics (depending on the finish color).

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Color help?

Post by DrQuasar » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:47 pm

https://www.realmilkpaint.com/tag/blue/

All of these would look cool on that jr. but Caribbean blue, dragonfly, and tropical jade stick out to me. Beachglass could be cool but I'd be afraid it might end up looking gray. I'd also be super tempted to paint the top only and leave a plain back and sides. Interested to see where this goes. I've seen some pretty nice milk paint finishes on this site.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Color help?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:29 pm

Dragonfly was definitely my first choice -- it's probably the shade of blue closest to an old Cherry Red in tone (but obviously blue).

I was also checking out Wudtone's lineup, and their Lady Teal finish looks pretty ballin'.