Does American Performer Bridge assembly retrofit?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Ricey
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Does American Performer Bridge assembly retrofit?

Post by Ricey » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:24 pm

I was just checking out a used American Performer Mustang at GC-only $750 used! What an incredible value for a high quality USA made guitar!

I have a MIJ Cobain Mustang. I really like it, especially the H-S pup configuration and the body contours. I even get along well with the vintage spec 7.25" fretboard radius. However, the tailpiece assembly seems much more solid in the USA Performer-especially the nylon insert in the tremolo bar well, which is a weak point on the Cobain, because the bar really likes to fall out! I have also heard that the reissue Mustangs bridges are made of softer metal than vintage and prone to wearing under stress, which leads to tuning stability issues when using the bar. Not sure of this is true and, thankfully, have not yet experienced it.

Does anybody know if the Performer bridge and tailpiece assembly will retrofit on my Cobain without any permanent mods? I do like my Cobain's Adjustomatic bridge, but would be willing to covert to the new bridge if the Adjustomatic is not compatible with the Performer bridge. Does anybody know if the post spacings are the same? I measured my Cobain and it is about 2 and7/8" between the center of the 2 bridge posts.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does American Performer Bridge assembly retrofit?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:42 pm

I'm unsure of compatibility between the Mustang bridge and an AoM, but I do know that the Performer trem is different from a vintage or reissue one (instead of the plate being the pivot point, it has separate blades below it akin to a 2-point Strat trem in reverse) and people who know Mustang trems way better than me say that it's pretty much the best one you can get short of buying a vintage original.