AVRI62 Jaguar pickups are lifeless

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
LanugoMan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

AVRI62 Jaguar pickups are lifeless

Post by LanugoMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:38 am

Hello, I am the proud owner of an AVRI62 Jaguar. I love everything about it, except one thing. I’m finding the pickups to be good, but they are kind of weak. I have another single coil guitar (a strat upgraded with Fralin Vintage Hots). I know comparing a strat to a jag is apples and oranges, but those pickups are SO much richer than the AVRI62’s. They are way more dynamic and sensitive, making them more fun to play. I can’t abide having a strat be more fun to play than my jag, so it seems new pickups are in order.

I prefer low output, vintage-ish pickups, but I’d also like them to also be modern and flexible, with every bit of clarity and articulation (and mids) that can be achieved. Looking more for an indie sound rather than a historically accurate surf sound.

With that bit of background out of the way, here is my question to you fine people. I am currently weighing a couple of options. I could go with Pure Vintage 65’s. Or I could potentially spend a bit more and get some Curtis Novaks, wound to whatever custom specs that he would deem appropriate. I also see a lot of chatter over on Reddit about EP Custom. I wonder how his work might compare to Novaks? I appreciate any insights you guys care to share. Thanks in advance.

Apologies if this is rehashing old stuff. I did look for similar posts, but most of what I found was dated.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AVRI62 Jaguar pickups are lifeless

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am

I had the 62’s in my Jag and found them to be ice picky and thin. I went with Novak Jag-v pickups and liked them so much that I kept them when I sold the guitar. They’re now in my bass vi. While I can’t compare them to strat pickups, they’re robust sounding and quite dynamic. I liked the tone better than my Jazzmasters, I just couldn’t get on with the scale.

LanugoMan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by LanugoMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am

Glad to hear you had a similar experience, and that the Novaks solved the problem for you. For a while I thought I was crazy and kept trying to dial in better amp settings. That does help, but AVRI62’s are definitely ice picky and thin, especially the bridge. The neck sounds good, but even it could have more clarity (I suspect).

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:17 pm

Not much difference between Strat and Jaguar pickups, so just contact Lindy Fralin and request the same pickups as your Strat just in a Jaguar form factor.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

LanugoMan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by LanugoMan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:17 pm
Not much difference between Strat and Jaguar pickups, so just contact Lindy Fralin and request the same pickups as your Strat just in a Jaguar form factor.
That’s a very interesting thought!