Possible ideas for vintera 60s mod Jag

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
BuckedHum
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Possible ideas for vintera 60s mod Jag

Post by BuckedHum » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:58 pm

So there's a germ of an idea in my head regarding modifying the controls on my Jag (vintera 60s mod HH).

I'm not sure if I'll do this I'm simply trying to get it down on paper as it were to see if it's a good idea or not. I wouldn't be doing the work myself just wondering if it would be useful or even possible.

The diagram above shows what the stock controls do and how they're laid out.

The first change I was considering was replacing the top panel kill switch with a three way selector switch (neck/both/bridge).

I would assume that this would be easily achievable? Round out the slot in the metal plate to make space for a 3 way switch?

It would however result in an issue for the lower control panel where each PU can be individually toggled. The three way would be redundant in a way.

So I was wondering if I could make use of those two toggles and have a few possibilities.

1. Simple coil split for each PU but this would remove the blend option afforded by the 2 knob disks.
2. Also coil split but with one position being HB the other the blend. (I would have to use the knob disk to get to "single coil"). Note: I have no idea if this is possible it might be easier to have the toggle going from "single coil" to "blend" rather than "humbucker" to "blend")
3. Like option one but then use the knob disks as individual tone controls and set master tone to volume for one of the pickups.
4. Same as two but replace the the 2 position toggles with 3 position switches and have it as "single coil"/"blend"/"humbucker"

Again just bouncing ideas and looking for input nothing is set in stone.

Here's the wiring diagram of how it's set up now.

Any feedback, words of encouragement, advice telling me that it's folly are all welcome.