TPD's Yamaha Build Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Finally, Another Yamaha SG-2 Build

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:50 pm

Thanks for the kind words everybody! I wish you all could play it for a little bit.
Doug
@dpcannafax

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Finally, Another Yamaha SG-2 Build

Post by RIORIO » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:55 pm

Incredibly obsessed with this

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: TPD's Yamaha Build Thread

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:46 am

I'm bringing this thread back, due to obtaining some parts from a Yamaha SG-3. I now have a body with vibrato and bridge, a pickguard, some extra tuners and a vintage Yamaha case. There's no neck, but since I do have a neck template for these, and can get new pickup covers printed, I thought I'd resurrect this guitar. Of course, I don't have a workshop right now, so I can't do much yet. It will be happening eventually though.

I have two spare pickup coils, one from an SG-7 and one from an SGV. Since I won't be in a big rush on this one, I may send one of those to a winder and have them make some new pickups on the same size bobbins. Or something like that, I don't have the details worked out yet.

Also, I will be able to use these parts to create SG-3 pickguard and body cavity templates, to go along with my SG-2 templates, so I can make copies of both the SG-2 and SG-3.

Pearl White

The guitar was definitely played, I wonder how it ended up like this.

Seeing these together, makes me think I should remake the SG-2 guard in a mintier material.

All of the red and white, and the red case interior takes me right back to the White and Red Bronco II, with red interior , that I drove for over a decade. It looked something like this:
Doug
@dpcannafax