Show me the Green

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Show me the Green

Post by Chippertheripper » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:32 am
Chippertheripper wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:24 am
I have new green.

Transparent real is not an apt name for this color. Transparent cucumber skin is more fitting.
That’s awesome. I love it.
It’s gonna catch some sunlight this summer to see if it lightens/fades at all.
It’s a little broody looking, but it’s a player for sure. The current run is great, if you can sneak a deal in.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:58 pm

windmill wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:37 am
I'm afraid that although those are all very nice guitars they pale in comparison to this

"Woah, what's the story with this one? Love the mint on kelly sparkle look."

Custom Shop. Currently available from Coda Music in the UK

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:22 pm

crazyzeke wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:25 am
CROSS_guitars wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:02 pm
Here's my green bastard!

First guitar I've seen in a while that's made me go "wtf is that" with interest, so yeah... wtf is it? 😂

It's my Non-Reverse Crossbird. Basically a mashup of the NR Firebird and some Starcaster/Fender elements.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm

windmill wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:58 pm
windmill wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:37 am
I'm afraid that although those are all very nice guitars they pale in comparison to this

"Woah, what's the story with this one? Love the mint on kelly sparkle look."

Custom Shop. Currently available from Coda Music in the UK
Thanks. Looks like $5k USD for a non-vintage, beat-up guitar. I will never understand relicing. At least they didn't get too out of hand on this one.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:44 am

smjenkins wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm
Thanks. Looks like $5k USD for a non-vintage, beat-up guitar. I will never understand relicing. At least they didn't get too out of hand on this one.
Wow. Didn't even notice it was reliced, however if so it's not spottable at a glance... maybe defeats the purpose of having it though, since it's for aesthetics?

I agree, for my personal taste relicing/aging of any kind is a bit lame. I've always seen it as players who don't have enough time to play wanting their guitars to look like they're seasoned so there's an element of fakery. If you play the hell out of one or two guitars they'll look like that in time.

For example the neck pickup cover of mine is cracked, the stainless steel panels are scratched and maybe corroded where some of the scratches are deepest, all the pickguard screws are darkened from oxidisation and probably rust in places, there's dents in the headstock from holding the guitar up in low ceilinged venues without realising, cracks in the poly finish etc. To be honest I'd rather it still looked new but at the same time, I know how a lot of those marks got there so it adds character I suppose. Paying extra for a "new" guitar to look like that though? To me, lunacy, money wasted for what, posturing?
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:28 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:25 am

Wow, some kind of semi-hollow offset clone/tribute for under £300 with 22 frets on a 25.5" maple neck, kinda cool. Looks like a two-point pivot Strat style trem, getting definite Meteora vibes, basically it's a JM/Jag/Meteora mashup.

Specs are here. I initially thought it was sporting P100s but "H90 Humbuckers" apparently.
Thread about one here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=120322

In case you missed it there is a picture of the now refinished "distressed look" one from the above thread on page one of this thread.

They are now being made under the Vintage (guitar brand) Revo series, called a Surfmaster, with "Filteron"looking pickups and an offset style trem, available in England through JHS.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:45 am

crazyzeke wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:44 am
smjenkins wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 pm
Wow. Didn't even notice it was reliced, however if so it's not spottable at a glance... maybe defeats the purpose of having it though, since it's for aesthetics?

I agree, for my personal taste relicing/aging of any kind is a bit lame. I've always seen it as players who don't have enough time to play wanting their guitars to look like they're seasoned so there's an element of fakery. If you play the hell out of one or two guitars they'll look like that in time.

For example the neck pickup cover of mine is cracked, the stainless steel panels are scratched and maybe corroded where some of the scratches are deepest, all the pickguard screws are darkened from oxidisation and probably rust in places, there's dents in the headstock from holding the guitar up in low ceilinged venues without realising, cracks in the poly finish etc. To be honest I'd rather it still looked new but at the same time, I know how a lot of those marks got there so it adds character I suppose. Paying extra for a "new" guitar to look like that though? To me, lunacy, money wasted for what, posturing?
Yes, the sparkle finish does make the relicing harder to spot. I bet it would be super obvious in person. The other thing the CS relic jobs all have that never shows up in listing photos is really intense finish checking. I ordered a CS JM from CME a few years back that was "Closet Clean" and as soon as I opened the case I was blown away at how much, fine, spider web, finish checking there was. Not like the cool big horizontal lines that Rexter does at all. I went back and looked at the listing photos and you really couldn't tell. I sent it right back.

But I agree with you on the motivations for relicing not being great. I always thought it started as a way for the CS guitars to get closer to vintage golden age ones. Because no guitar has survived from the 60's looking perfect. But at this point, it just seems like a way for the CS to charge $1k-2k more for a guitar and have to spend less time on a perfect finish.

(as I type this, I realize I am now fully in my "old man shakes fist at sky" phase. Sorry)

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:13 pm

windmill wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:44 pm
Well, you asked

Jag Body
Did this ever turn into a full guitar or is it still in its hatching state?

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:21 pm

+1. Inquiring minds want to see that finished build. The body looks so cool.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm

Have had the body for 2 years now ! :wacko:

Most of the parts are here.

Have had a fair bit of work during that time, as well as juggling the playing and practicing schedule. Since work stopped a few months ago, as a bass player, have started playing with 3 new "groups", making 6 now in total, in addition to the regular jams/open mics/walkups. And then practising the songs for each group cuts into your time. :)

And last night was asked about joining up with a beginners jazz "group".

But I would rather be playing than not playing. :)

It will be my project over the coming winter, down here. I will keep you informed !

:)

raxling coxcomb, a
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raxling coxcomb, a » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 am

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:49 pm
Here's another green JM. Powder coated aluminum pickguard that Copacetic color matched the body to. And I know, I still need to install the strap buttons. :fp:

Incredible. Was the color matching of the pick guard done from a picture only, or some other way? It's such a great match!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:43 pm

windmill wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 pm
Have had the body for 2 years now ! :wacko:

Most of the parts are here.

Have had a fair bit of work during that time, as well as juggling the playing and practicing schedule. Since work stopped a few months ago, as a bass player, have started playing with 3 new "groups", making 6 now in total, in addition to the regular jams/open mics/walkups. And then practising the songs for each group cuts into your time. :)

And last night was asked about joining up with a beginners jazz "group".

But I would rather be playing than not playing. :)

It will be my project over the coming winter, down here. I will keep you informed !

:)
OK, how did I miss this sexiness?

Also, why does that look like a 24 fret neck with the 24th fret itself lopped off?

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 pm

raxling coxcomb, a wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 am
smjenkins wrote:
Here's another green JM. Powder coated aluminum pickguard that Copacetic color matched the body to. And I know, I still need to install the strap buttons. :fp:

Incredible. Was the color matching of the pick guard done from a picture only, or some other way? It's such a great match!
I had the pickguards coated then sent them to copacetic to match. You can read a bit more about it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121350&hilit=copace ... 5#p1755867

raxling coxcomb, a
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by raxling coxcomb, a » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:49 am

smjenkins wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:21 pm
raxling coxcomb, a wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 am
smjenkins wrote:
I had the pickguards coated then sent them to copacetic to match. You can read a bit more about it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121350&hilit=copace ... 5#p1755867
Thanks for the correction and the link. I think I read your post before I was fully awake and got the details scrambled around. Really fantastic work though on all three. An awesome little collection, thanks for sharing

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 am

smjenkins wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:45 am
I always thought it started as a way for the CS guitars to get closer to vintage golden age ones. Because no guitar has survived from the 60's looking perfect. But at this point, it just seems like a way for the CS to charge $1k-2k more for a guitar and have to spend less time on a perfect finish.

(as I type this, I realize I am now fully in my "old man shakes fist at sky" phase. Sorry)
Haha no I don't see it as an "old man yells at cloud" type thing, more a personal preference. I think Gen Z have just appropriated that phrase to mean they can ignore this kind of stuff as they're too young to understand the why's of it, if you see what I mean.

Any guitars that survived in "case queen" condition from the 50s-70s always makes me wonder why, if there aren't reasons already given on the ad. In some cases I wonder if it's because it's just not a particularly good one - not all guitars are built equal even if they're from what is considered a good point of a maker's history.
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)