Gotoh Tune-O-Matic on a Squier Mustang (Kurt Cobain Mod)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gotoh Tune-O-Matic on a Squier Mustang (Kurt Cobain Mod)

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:43 pm

A Mastery Bridge on a Mustang is overkill.

A Mastery Bridge on a Mustang that you plan to make a 'hardtail' by disabling the vibrato is complete overkill, and ridiculous.

Tuneomatic bridges are shit, regardless of who made it/sourced it from a manufacturer and put it in their branded packaging for resale.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:08 am

I can recommend getting a bridge from Staytrem instead of Mastery. It is pretty much the same as the Mustang bridge but made from real steel and a bit sturdier in every way that counts. Especially it will be a big upgrade over the bridge on a Squier CV, which isn't bad, but pretty cheap. I put them on all my offsets, and stability is exactly what they give me, plus a little bit more sustain. They are cheaper than Masterys and if you take Jsett's advice and wrap the bridge posts in something like tape, it also will not move.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

davewire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by davewire » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:33 am

Ceylon wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:08 am
I can recommend getting a bridge from Staytrem instead of Mastery. It is pretty much the same as the Mustang bridge but made from real steel and a bit sturdier in every way that counts. Especially it will be a big upgrade over the bridge on a Squier CV, which isn't bad, but pretty cheap. I put them on all my offsets, and stability is exactly what they give me, plus a little bit more sustain. They are cheaper than Masterys and if you take Jsett's advice and wrap the bridge posts in something like tape, it also will not move.
Thank you for this advice, it's funny on the French forum in which I participate, a guy told me about it, so I went to see their website. I sent a message to the store because I can't see which one to choose if it's for my mustang, it's not very clear.
andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:43 pm
A Mastery Bridge on a Mustang is overkill.

A Mastery Bridge on a Mustang that you plan to make a 'hardtail' by disabling the vibrato is complete overkill, and ridiculous.

Tuneomatic bridges are shit, regardless of who made it/sourced it from a manufacturer and put it in their branded packaging for resale.
Thank you for your clear opinion, I'm not determined to put a mastery that's why I'm asking you and we discuss on this forum so that I find the most appropriate solution in terms of quality but also of price. And putting a mastery without blocking the vibrato would also be heresy for you?
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:38 am
If you are dead set on fixing the mustang bridge, you can fix the stock one by putting vintage sized kluson tuner bushings in your bridge thimbles. The bridge will no longer rock and it will save you a ton of money instead of buying a mastery. Keep in mind, you want the vintage sized ones, not the 10mm conversions.
Indeed, this could be a very good solution as well. Thank you for all these different ideas that need to be studied to make the right choice.
Mustang & Nirvana Lover !
Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/@DaveWire

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:50 am

davewire wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:33 am

Thank you for this advice, it's funny on the French forum in which I participate, a guy told me about it, so I went to see their website. I sent a message to the store because I can't see which one to choose if it's for my mustang, it's not very clear.

You would want this one, with the 9,5" radius, if you decide to go for it.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

davewire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by davewire » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 am

I came across this guide ! Very interesting !

https://guitarform.com/offset-guitar-bridges/

davewire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by davewire » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:35 am

Stewmac answered me, the shop that was recommended for the purchase of TOM on the jag-stang site, here is their advice:

"Thanks for your patience!

I do believe the #1511 Gotoh Tune-O-Matic ( https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... sbushings/ )is the one that was installed on that guitar. I would probably install it with the screws facing the pickups to make them easier to adjust, and you will likely need to pull the existing bushings and enlarge the diameter of the hole to install the bushings for the Tune-O-Matic.

Thanks.
Best regards,
Gene I.
Technical Advisor
StewMac"

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm

davewire wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 am

Decent comprehensive summary. But a few things are not quite right, partly because it's now a few years out of date:

1. Implies all Mustang bridges are 7.25" radius. In fact, Fender has sold an aftermarket MIA 9.5" radius Mustang bridge for some years. These are stock on some Fender offsets with 9.5" necks (eg Am Pro series). Also, recent Squiers with 9.5" necks have 9.5" Mustang bridges (Asian made).
2. Implies all Mustang style bridges have 56mm E-E spacing. In fact Fender has sold Mustang bridges with 52mm E-E spacing for some years (for both 7.25" and 9.5" radii).
3. The picture of the Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge is wrong. The bridge shown is the Fender 'blacktop' bridge. The Warmoth bridge has larger diameter barrel-saddles. So although similar, they are not the same.

It does not cover some more recent viable options, like the Halon bridges.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:27 pm

davewire wrote:
Thank you for your clear opinion, I'm not determined to put a mastery that's why I'm asking you and we discuss on this forum so that I find the most appropriate solution in terms of quality but also of price. And putting a mastery without blocking the vibrato would also be heresy for you?
Well for mine the only objective functional improvement the Mastery provides is the very deep saddle slots to prevent strings jumping out of the saddles. This is really not an issue on Mustangs due to the steeper break angle over the bridge to the tailpiece.

I'm not sure any claims of tuning stability would be backed with an operational Mustang vibrato either, which can be a bit of a handful even when it's setup well.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

flying_squad
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by flying_squad » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:01 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:27 pm
davewire wrote:
Well for mine the only objective functional improvement the Mastery provides is the very deep saddle slots to prevent strings jumping out of the saddles. This is really not an issue on Mustangs due to the steeper break angle over the bridge to the tailpiece.

I'm not sure any claims of tuning stability would be backed with an operational Mustang vibrato either, which can be a bit of a handful even when it's setup well.
Have to agree here - Mastery does add additional stability. I was also having a particular problem with the original Mustang bridge intonation screws muting strings. No such issues with the Mastery. If you are in Europe, worth thinking about a Halon bridge too (essentially tele saddles on a mustang bridge). I have one of those on my other Mustang and it's great.

davewire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by davewire » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:56 am

timtam wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm
davewire wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:43 am

Decent comprehensive summary. But a few things are not quite right, partly because it's now a few years out of date:

1. Implies all Mustang bridges are 7.25" radius. In fact, Fender has sold an aftermarket MIA 9.5" radius Mustang bridge for some years. These are stock on some Fender offsets with 9.5" necks (eg Am Pro series). Also, recent Squiers with 9.5" necks have 9.5" Mustang bridges (Asian made).
2. Implies all Mustang style bridges have 56mm E-E spacing. In fact Fender has sold Mustang bridges with 52mm E-E spacing for some years (for both 7.25" and 9.5" radii).
3. The picture of the Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge is wrong. The bridge shown is the Fender 'blacktop' bridge. The Warmoth bridge has larger diameter barrel-saddles. So although similar, they are not the same.

It does not cover some more recent viable options, like the Halon bridges.
Thank you for this additional information and this update, you are right to say so.
andy_tchp wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:27 pm

I gave up the idea of ​​putting a mastery, it's too expensive and on a squier it's not worth it
flying_squad wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:01 pm
Have to agree here - Mastery does add additional stability. I was also having a particular problem with the original Mustang bridge intonation screws muting strings. No such issues with the Mastery. If you are in Europe, worth thinking about a Halon bridge too (essentially tele saddles on a mustang bridge). I have one of those on my other Mustang and it's great.
you're the second to mention the existence of the Halon brigde, I'll go see right away!! THANKS

antagony
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by antagony » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:43 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
you can fix the stock one by putting vintage sized kluson tuner bushings in your bridge thimbles. The bridge will no longer rock and it will save you a ton of money instead of buying a mastery. Keep in mind, you want the vintage sized ones, not the 10mm conversions.
So you put tuner bushings into the thimble so the posts on the stock bridge will stay put? Will these bushings work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NLW570

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:22 pm

antagony wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:43 pm
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
you can fix the stock one by putting vintage sized kluson tuner bushings in your bridge thimbles. The bridge will no longer rock and it will save you a ton of money instead of buying a mastery. Keep in mind, you want the vintage sized ones, not the 10mm conversions.
So you put tuner bushings into the thimble so the posts on the stock bridge will stay put? Will these bushings work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NLW570
I can't really tell. But those looked like 10MM conversion bushings to me. Which are too big. You want the vintage ones.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardw ... -bushings/

Looking at their specs, these knurled ones might be a little too big to fit in the metric spec bushings. But those non knurled ones should fit but be a little loose. I'd just wrap the non knurled ones shaft in tape, jam it in the bridge thimble and leave it. The bridge will fit in there tighter and keep from rocking.

Noirie.
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Noirie. » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:48 pm

Don't know why everyone else must insist on being unhelpful here. OP already said he wanted rid of the Mustang bridge.

You can fit a Nashville tune o matic on a mustang without drilling anything.

Get a 8mm Nashville and wrap the bridge posts in electrical/copper tape so they fit snug in the mustang bridge cups.
For example: https://ibb.co/Zhr4DZn

I will say putting a TOM on a Mustang requires alot of neck shims unless you like high action. On mine I think I've got one full pocket cardboard shim and maybe 3 more smaller ones at the base of it. I could try take it apart on the weekend and get some photos.

The gotoh on Kurt's LPB Mustang wasn't drilled or anything. It looks like Earnie just grabbed it off another guitar and dropped it in.

davewire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by davewire » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:12 am

Don't know why everyone else must insist on being unhelpful here. OP already said he wanted rid of the Mustang bridge.
Thx you , finally who reads correctly what I'm asking and doesn't dissuade me from doing it lol ;D

I finally found the solution that works and sounds really good for me. When I created this topic on offsetguitars, I had the idea of ​​doing it on my Squier classic vibe and then ultimately I kept the original bridge. When the burgundy-colored Vintera II came out, I fell for it, it's really superb but this time I wanted to go all the way and install a TOM! You will find all the information and links necessary to do like me and without the need to drill!! You can translate the forum with Google!

My Project (French Forum)

Go Page 3 and post number 266 to go directly because before I talk about my project with the orange mustang

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:14 am

Noirie. wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:48 pm
I don't think anyone was being unhelpful at all. Everyone gave OP some good information. They answered questions about how to install a TOM. Just because Kurt put TOMs on his guitars doesn't mean it was a good idea or that it was practical. If anything, OP got to hear pros and cons, weigh their options, and learn alternate ways to solve the problems that they were trying to accomplish by using a TOM. OP's questions were more than well answered.