Allparts D&B Jaguar necks group order (it is possible!)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Allparts D&B Jaguar necks group order (it is possible!)

Post by Steadyriot. » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:19 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:09 am
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:21 am
Also: has anyone ever had an unfinished neck with Binding?
I like smoothly sanded necks with true-Oil finishes very much.
How does the Binding act in the process (if you oil it or stain it)?
TrueOil has a little bit of tint to it but probably also won't really stick to the binding... Hmmm... Not sure, then...
I’ve done tru-oil over binding with no issues.
I’m team unfinished btw. But I will also bend to the hivemind if needed.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:53 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:19 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:09 am
Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:21 am
Also: has anyone ever had an unfinished neck with Binding?
I like smoothly sanded necks with true-Oil finishes very much.
How does the Binding act in the process (if you oil it or stain it)?
TrueOil has a little bit of tint to it but probably also won't really stick to the binding... Hmmm... Not sure, then...
I’ve done tru-oil over binding with no issues.
I’m team unfinished btw. But I will also bend to the hivemind if needed.
I'm flexible on finish, too.

I already posted my preferences above but as long as they're close.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:35 am

RIORIO wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:25 am
I’d just order a Parklane neck for that kind of money. Best neck I’ve ever had (vs Fender, Musikraft, Allparts, Warmoth, etc)
Never heard of them prior to right now. I thought I knew all major neck makers. Are they new? How did you stumble across them? Their necks and prices look great. Makes me want to do a build.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

RIORIO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RIORIO » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:18 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:35 am
RIORIO wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:25 am
I’d just order a Parklane neck for that kind of money. Best neck I’ve ever had (vs Fender, Musikraft, Allparts, Warmoth, etc)
Never heard of them prior to right now. I thought I knew all major neck makers. Are they new? How did you stumble across them? Their necks and prices look great. Makes me want to do a build.
A friend of mine told me about him. Ex Musikraft builder apparently. I was curious and a build popped up locally with one of their necks on board and I snatched it up and was BLOWN AWAY. Like perfect all around (frets, feel, craftsmanship). I spec’d out a maple black blocks binding jazzmaster neck with all the bells and whistles (special radius, SS frets, etc) and it was about $550 shipped when he had one of his sales going on. I’d highly recommend this builder. Feel free to PM me if you want more deets, don’t want to derail the thread :D

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:02 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:56 am
Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:38 am
Update:

Spec-wise we can choose:

„Headstock shape
Fret size
Nut width
Thickness of neck (from the 1st to the 12 fret)
Neck profiles – C, Chunky C, Soft V
Heel shape
Neck woods: Supplier only offers maple
Fretboard woods: Maple, rosewood, or ebony
Finished or unfinished

All necks in the box have to be the same. There can be no variants. Necks are also non-returnable if woods are deemed undesirable by the buyer. Unfortunately, our supplier does not grade the woods before production.“

Shall we do this?
So far we are at ~10.
30 are needed.
Alright, so here's my initial spec idea:
  • Headstock shape: Pre-CBS Jaguar
  • Fret size: vintage tall
  • Nut width: 1-5/8" (41.5mm?)
  • Thickness of neck (from the 1st to the 12 fret): .88" to .97"?
  • Neck profiles – C, Chunky C, Soft V: C
  • Heel shape: Standard Jag (Strat)
  • Neck woods: Supplier only offers maple ALL THE MAPLE!!! :w00t:
  • Fretboard woods: Maple, rosewood, or ebony With pearl dots and binding
  • Finished or unfinished: If a lightly tinted finish is available, otherwise unfinished
What do you guys think?
Ok, I'd love to be on board... But not sure I can make it happen.

My first half-dozen or so builds from years ago were all Warmoth, then USACG. I assumed AllParts was not up to the quality - I've been wrong before and will be again! I put together a Strat for a friend with an AllParts neck shortly after that and was pretty blown away with it - all the aspects I preferred about USACG at the time versus the Warmoth necks were present in the AllParts, and my tastes were gravitating back towards understated vintage-correctness rather than super custom woods choices and profiles.

I'm also an absolute D+B hussy, every one of my vintage guitars has it (two '65 custom colour JMs, a '66 Jazz Bass, '60 ES330, '61 LP Special Double Cut).

The only issue (and it's a big one) is that I'm very much on the radar of Fender's legal representation in the UK. I can't so much as post a render with a headstock that looks a little bit too much like a Fender headstock to my Instagram without being sent a threatening email telling me to take it down.

But I really wish I could get involved! So good luck guys - if you only need an extra 2 or 3 to make up the numbers, I could potentially chip in just for personal projects. But unfortunately, I just couldn't make them into customer guitars!

P.S. - MTFBWY - So the minimum custom order quantity is like $6k for 20 bound necks? Can I send them my own headstock shape and directions for that? I might actually be tempted, just to get some Jaywalkers up and running at a price that's not prohibitively high...

I have my own pickup designs, the Tuffset bridge on the way, custom circuitry and 3D-printed mounts to do anything and everything with rocker switches, my plate supplier for the Marauder kits and obviously the capacity with GuitarForm CNC to make something happen. The necks have just proven to be time prohibitive!

I had been thinking I'll need a dedicated CNC and jigging system to handle them in the way I want, but this could be a good way to test the market without having to invest the money and time into a second dedicated CNC setup, and if they sold well I could obviously put the profit towards bringing it in-house. It might make a bit of sense.
Creator of the Tuffset Bridge - Locked & Ready to Rock!
www.tuffsetbridge.com ◈ @tuffsetbridge

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:59 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:02 pm

Ok, I'd love to be on board...
[…]
I really wish I could get involved! So good luck guys - if you only need an extra 2 or 3 to make up the numbers, I could potentially chip in just for personal projects. But unfortunately, I just couldn't make them into customer guitars!

P.S. - MTFBWY - So the minimum custom order quantity is like $6k for 20 bound necks? Can I send them my own headstock shape and directions for that? I might actually be tempted, just to get some Jaywalkers up and running at a price that's not prohibitively high... […]

I have to check with them about own headstock design (and some other points). But I‘ll write you a pm.

——————————————————————————

Counting you all in (also you Deed Poll) who expressed their interest we are at ~15 already.

Meanwhile I created this
Allparts D&B Necks interest list - (and already gathered the info I found on here).
Please feel free to add your name, (or change) the amount you’re interested in buying, your finishing preference and special requests/suggestions - I‘ll be looking into it and if a trend (towards finish or neck shape) emerges - we‘ll talk about it and decide as a group.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:17 am

Also please add your location in the list.
I‘ll add some folks from a german speaking fb group

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:48 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:02 pm
[...] P.S. - MTFBWY - So the minimum custom order quantity is like $6k for 20 bound necks? Can I send them my own headstock shape and directions for that? I might actually be tempted, just to get some Jaywalkers up and running at a price that's not prohibitively high... [...] I had been thinking I'll need a dedicated CNC and jigging system to handle them in the way I want, but this could be a good way to test the market without having to invest the money and time into a second dedicated CNC setup, and if they sold well I could obviously put the profit towards bringing it in-house. It might make a bit of sense.
Interestingly, I'm talking to Allparts right now about a similar project. My impression is that they are looking to diversify their product portfolio of "licensed" necks with options that will be consistent sellers over time, even if the first batch is a "limited run".

The Jazzmaster bound & blocked, bullet-truss necks are what come immediately to mind.

Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:52 pm

@BeeTL that's interesting - are you enquiring about necks with your own proprietary headstock shape? I'd love to hear how you get on!
Creator of the Tuffset Bridge - Locked & Ready to Rock!
www.tuffsetbridge.com ◈ @tuffsetbridge

Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:24 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:52 pm
@BeeTL that's interesting - are you enquiring about necks with your own proprietary headstock shape? I'd love to hear how you get on!
The discussions are very preliminary, but I'm happy to share details if/when things progress. :)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:32 pm

oh damn! I want in on this. Do we have a ballpark price yet?

I have a D&B Strat neck and I love it. I had a D&B CBS neck back in 2009-2010 that was pretty decent but not amazing. I feel like the quality was gotten a lot better.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:59 pm

OK, I tweaked MayTheFuzzBeWithYou's Google Sheet a bit and added some borders and tables because... Well, I have severe spreadsheet OCD. :D

Are we missing anything spec-wise here or is anything incorrect?

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:49 pm

sorry if i missed it but will the fretboard be veneer or slab? I prefer veneer but cool either way. Also, I put 7.25" in my description but I guess everyone wants 9.5"?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:12 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:59 pm
OK, I tweaked MayTheFuzzBeWithYou's Google Sheet a bit and added some borders and tables because... Well, I have severe spreadsheet OCD. :D

Are we missing anything spec-wise here or is anything incorrect?

That is okay. I made the first sheet on my mobile and it was a pain in the bumbum.
OffYourFace wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:32 pm
oh damn! I want in on this. Do we have a ballpark price yet?

I have a D&B Strat neck and I love it. I had a D&B CBS neck back in 2009-2010 that was pretty decent but not amazing. I feel like the quality was gotten a lot better.
Then get on board! Happy to have you!

Ballpark price depends strongly on the point if the buyer has a business and buys them „for the shop“ which would put a „more than decent“ reduced tag on the original 195 unfinished/400-500 finished pricetag - someone of us should definitely do this!

I‘m happy to discuss all the details per pm with anyone interested in that part - but don‘t want to put their exact numbers here openly. Because not everyone (this is an open site where anyone, even without an account) can watch/read.

To whatever price they quote in the end - we have to add shipping to and from whoever will be the official buyer and also import tax and maybe other customs charges.

I‘m playing with the idea to „open up“ such a business - if no one else should want that „burden“ (I guess it’s almost no risk at this point we are already talking closely to 20 of the 30 necks required - but we need to find a secure way for everyone to put their money in - I already thought about a crowdfunding pre-sale) - because I can‘t advance 4-6k right now.
- but it would be just a side hustle… as I‘m happy as an occupational therapist.

Slab vs veneer hasn‘t been discussed yet.

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:47 am

I have an Allparts account in the U.S. and I might consider acting as the billing intermediary if Allparts is willing drop-ship directly to the customer. If not, the logistics (especially international shipping) may be more than I'm willing to commit to unless I'm able to build in a profit (pricing the necks closer to retail).

I am assuming that, after the initial order, these necks might be available directly from Allparts or through authorized resellers, at least for a limited time, and I don't want to be stuck competing to sell excess inventory against shops like Stratosphere.

However, acting as an "Allparts Group Buy" exclusive reseller might be an interesting side-hustle. With permission, I can reach out to my contact there to discuss details and logistics. Thanks!