Home-made Jazzmaster... or Surfmaster.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Home-made Jazzmaster... or Surfmaster.

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:27 am

jdr1014 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:22 pm
Congrats on excellent work and a very striking guitar! Very well done and thanks for sharing :)

Looking forward to your next build!
Thanks! I play it almost every day. Am planning to have it repainted by a body shop (in the same color). Still a bit bumbed out by messing up the laquer...

Work has been very busy, so I haven't been able to start on the second body.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:27 am

I have been playing this JM almost daily (and exclusively). But I was still bummed out because of the less than great application of clearcoat, particularly on the back. So I pulled it apart and sanded the body with 400 grit, put on a coat of primer and sanded that with 800 and 1000 grit. I also softened a few curves and removed any trace of the round-over router bit witness lines (which I thought looked nice at first). Also filled a few dings.

Then I dropped the body of at an automotive repair / body shop. My friend works there. He used my left-over rattle can paint to scan the colour (I asked for maximum metallic). They mixed up a batch of modern automotive paint (the water based version) and covered it with a clear coat. A bit of a shame that their system can't deal with the original colour codes from the fifties and sixties that Ford and GM used).

One day later I could pick it up. It had a bit of orange peel but my friend told me to not sand or polish it, just give it a few days. And he was right, it disappeared. The paint feels smooth. It's a really thin coat, based on the masking tape I removed. Nothing like the polyester or polyurethane finishes. So I better not throw it around.

Last edited by DrippyReverbTremolo on Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:32 am

I also fitted a BEAUTIFUL new pickguard from General Vintage Tone. It's a "1963 Vintage Brown Tortoise Nitrate for Jazzmaster®️ Pickguard 4 layer Top real nitrate celluloid". It fits AVRI models. And more importantly, it fits the guitar I made from templates based on a sixties model JM (bought from Guitar and Bass Build (UK).

Advertised as real nitrate celluloid, and it did start to cup a bit after laying on my desk for a week. Nicely priced. Seems a good alternative to the (in my mind very expensive) Spitfire guards. One small thing: the tightest curves and points needed a bit of razor blade scraping due to having flat spots / looking too square.

I bought it at General Vintage Tone's Reverb store. He was good to deal with and sent it out quickly. The company is based in Spain, EU. General Vintage Tone

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 pm

Looks great. Good job!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 pm
Looks great. Good job!
Thanks!