Thousand bucks for Gibson pickups

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thousand bucks for Gibson pickups

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:55 pm

JVG wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:06 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:55 pm
Nice that they come in a case though. I often struggle with where to keep my pickups when I’m not using them.
Who uses pickups anyway? I keep mine in velvet-lined cases inside a glass display cabinet.

You are their ideal consumer. :D

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:08 am

i can see the clickbait youtube video titles now "GIBSON DID WHAT? $1000 PICKUPS OMG" and a thumbnail doing the youtuber reaction face.

btw, to any youtuber guitar influencers who are watching, here's a video idea for you. you get a $1500 gibson les paul (likely a studio) and you get a $500 epiphone les paul along with a set of these $1000 pickups. you put the $1000 pickups in the epiphone and title the video something like "$1000 PICKUPS IN AN EPIPHONE LES PAUL, WILL IT BE BETTER THAN A $1500 LES PAUL? NOT CLICKBAIT" boom. easy 500k views.

in all seriousness, i doubt anyone will ever fit these pickups. at this point gibson know their market and it's blooze lawyers who think of every purchase like an investment. it's highly likely only a fraction of these pickups will ever be fitted to a guitar and if they are, it will likely be the guitar they take to their jam sessions.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:56 am

Of course they come in a case. If you were to actually take them out, and install them in a guitar, it would destroy the re-sale value.

To me, this just looks like a marketing gimmick, to separate wealthy fools from their money.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:14 am

The thing that gets me is Gibson and dozens of other companies have been on some moronic and worthless pursuit since the 80's of "vintage sound" and with each incremental step it becomes dumber and it started out dumb.

I mean, let's consider the Gibson '57 Classic, here's what they have to say about that:

Introduced in 1990, the '57 Classic provides warm, full tone with a balanced response, packing that classic Gibson Patent Applied For humbucker™ crunch. They are made to the same specs as the originals, including Alnico 2 magnets, nickel-plated pole pieces, nickel slugs, and maple spacers.

Oh, cool! Sounds like they really made them the same as those old pickups they used to make, then.

Nope! Fuck you!

OK, calm down. What should I get? Oh, probably the Burstbuckers!

On the shop floor of the original Gibson plant in Kalamazoo, Michigan, the earliest Gibson Patent Applied For humbuckers were wound using imprecise machines, resulting in pickups with varying degrees of output and tone. The 60s Burstbucker™ represents Gibson's drive to recapture the magic of the original Patent Applied For humbucker™ pickups.

Wait, that's not it? Oh, right, right- I'm so stupid. I guess I need the Custombuckers, then!

Years of research and testing by Gibson engineers resulted in a formula and process that replicates the sonic magic of the original Patent Applied For humbucker™ pickups from the 50s.

Kind of weird it took years of research and testing. But I guess that's it, right? I mean, that's the vintage tone, right there. After all these years of research and testing, this is it.

Wait, it's not?

Gibson’s original “Patent Applied For” humbucker™ pickups from the 1950s are considered the holy grail of humbucking pickup tone. They have been highly influential, with many imitations. The originals are some of the most highly valued vintage pickups on the used market – when you can find someone willing to part with theirs. Using a combination of 3D scanning, scientific analysis, reverse engineering of original examples from the late 1950s, and specifications from the Gibson archives, the Gibson Pickup Shop has developed the most accurate recreations of these acclaimed pickups ever made, right down to the tool marks on the baseplates.

Go fuck yourselves.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:27 am

For my money (pun intended), these sound no dumber than $1,000 vintage WRHBs.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:25 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:14 am
Bravo! Beautifully summed up - that made me laugh so hard!

JM Convert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JM Convert » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:48 pm

JVG wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:25 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:14 am
Bravo! Beautifully summed up - that made me laugh so hard!
Larry has a gift for that.

eternal learner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eternal learner » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:51 pm

Wow, you could mount one onto a thick chunky gold chain, I'd imagine that this may happen to some of these. I have an mik Epiphone Dot for some years now, the pickups in it were ok but of course we seek Nirvana in these things, I fitted a set of relatively cheap Golden Age pups from Stewmac, and they are beautiful, been in the guitar for over ten years now, anybody who has played it always asks about the pick ups. With pickups I reckon it's largely luck of the draw.