JM bass cut wiring

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
GotA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

JM bass cut wiring

Post by GotA » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:41 am

while I wait for my new JM WRHBs to arrive I'm pondering new ideas for wiring up my guitar. I don't use the rhythm circuit as is and want to utilize those knobs for something different. I like the idea of the PTB controls but I don't want dual volume controls. I want to keep the master volume and tone knobs where they are. I was thinking of doing one roller as the G&L bass cut. My question now is what to do with the other roller? I had the idea of making a strangle knob. From my basic understanding is that the strangle switch is before the volume knob and the PTB bass cut is after the traditional treble cut pot. Is there a major difference between the strangle and tone cut? Would it make sense to have both? Would there be any issues in having both? Thanks in advance for any wisdom/advice or experiences

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JM bass cut wiring

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:25 am

Hey GotA!

I can‘t tell you much about the pre-and post volume knob characteristics of such a knob. I wired my Jazzmaster build to have one like in the G&L PTB - because I use the strangle switch fairly often on my Jags - and I used the other (volume) knob and the switch as a rhythm circuit with a „fixed“ tone (50k) resistor.

Turns out I don‘t use the knob that often. But it works fine! :)

GotA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: JM bass cut wiring

Post by GotA » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:37 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:25 am
Hey GotA!

I can‘t tell you much about the pre-and post volume knob characteristics of such a knob. I wired my Jazzmaster build to have one like in the G&L PTB - because I use the strangle switch fairly often on my Jags - and I used the other (volume) knob and the switch as a rhythm circuit with a „fixed“ tone (50k) resistor.

Turns out I don‘t use the knob that often. But it works fine! :)
Thanks for the response. I don't actually know if I would use it much either but I guess I could try it and remove it. Maybe I'll wire the switch to be a seperate set of ptb controls so instant strangle switch or instant woman tone