VMJM rides again, XII conversion

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

VMJM rides again, XII conversion

Post by Salfaromeab » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:58 am

Back when I first started posting here I modified a VMJM by swapping the neck out for an Offset Special neck with a maple fretboard, white button Klusons, black pickup covers, Staytrem Bridge and arm and an MIJ vibrato. This was my main guitar for a few years, but through further acquisitions gradually fell by the wayside until it was just sat on a stand. I never really played it anymore but couldn't really bear to part with it either.

So I put a Paranormal Jazzmaster XII neck on it. It's a pretty basic conversion, apart from the neck all I did was slap the original JM bridge back on it to account for double the strings. It's even still got the vibrato (which actually works quite well and is a lot more stable than I was expecting). I've been having a lot of fun with it the last few days.

The XII neck was actually somehow a little bit narrower than the Offset Special neck at the heel, so there is a little gap in the pocket, but other than that it all went together pretty smoothly and actually sounds really great, I'm excited to write with it.

The Paranormal XII got the original VMJM neck and actually looks pretty sharp. It'll probably want normal saddles at some point, but it's getting a new home with a friend of mine so I'm gonna let that be her problem haha

I kept the Offset Special neck in case I ever wanted to change it back. Really happy with it at the moment but could probably stand to get some new tuners on it, and maybe a black pickguard at some point...
Through the tallest wave, into outer space.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: VMJM rides again, XII conversion

Post by MattK » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 pm

That looks awesome fun. God bless Leo F and his modular designs …

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm

Nice!
A 4 way daka/rotary switch would just top it off n give you that EXII out of phase setting 8)

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 pm

Sweet!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm

How well does the trem work with the extra tension? I’ve debated doing this with an old JM body I have lying around.

Have fun with it!

Salfaromeab
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Salfaromeab » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:55 am

Cheers all, it's a really fun guitar!
CorporateDisguise wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 pm
How well does the trem work with the extra tension? I’ve debated doing this with an old JM body I have lying around.

Have fun with it!
Surprisingly well, the range isn't as much as it was as a six string, and I've not managed to adjust it do the lock works (which admittedly would be handy), but it's pretty stable and sounds cool to use, been doing a lot of Killing Moon haha

One issue is that due to the doubled strings, some of the strings do sit very close to the collet and have potential to rub against it with heavy use, but I'm going to see how it goes
Through the tallest wave, into outer space.